• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Any cdl drivers needing ride from Kansas to California after the first of the year?

Tom Thumb

I just bought a M934 in Fort Riley, Kansas. I didn't realize I needed a cdl to drive this thing. I've been driving 32+ foot RVs for a long time and didn't realize these trucks are much heavier than an RV. I'm wondering if I should chance driving this thing without a cdl or not. I thought I'd post here to see if anyone with a cdl needs a ride from Kansas (or near) to California. I'd be willing to pay food and lodging for helping drive.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've driven all kinds of these things all over the place. I can tell you from experience you shouldn't have any problems in KS, OK, NV, TX, or UT. I'm not telling you what the law states, I'm just telling you my experiences interacting with LEO.

California is a different world. I won't drive one of these trucks there. (And i lived there for 10 years).

quickfarms

Yes in CA you do need a CDL

Your post is confusing, you offer a ride, want help driving, but do not have the correct license to drive the vehicle.

I would think long and hard before driving an auction truck 1600 miles.

You are safer to have it shipped.

Will the truck pass a DOT inspection?

What condition is the truck in?

Do you have the truck registered and insured?

Tom Thumb

Good questions...I've been wondering those things myself...this is what I know so far.

I'm getting the truck worked on by folks near Fort Riley who are very familiar with these trucks. In fact they have several they've bought and are selling. Theey say they will get it road worthy for my journey.

I agree, there are some risks to doing this, but before I do, I will ask the mechanics to take it for a 60 mile trip going up and down grades to ensure it is good to drive.
Shipping this thing to California would cost more than I paid for the truck!

I'm told that the title will state it is for "off road only" by Gov Planet. So, I'm told I have to register it with California DMV before I can take it on the road, which I intend to do...not sure when yet as I have no title in hand yet.

I've been told by anoother here in SS that I won't have any problems driving through all but California. And I have another source that states they don't stop at any of the truck stops in California and have never been stopped.

I'd like to bring the truck to california then get my class B cdl. But not sure how to do that as the truck can't be insured until I have a cdl and I can't get a cdl until I have the truck, at least not cheaply...argh! I know, what a cluster ....

Any thoughts?

dmetalmiki

Good purchase. Hope it can be registered for road use, Don't forget the obligatory story and pictures of the journey home. Good support there from seano11, now you have to make sure the other requirements are in place. As he is taking care of you, so you must take care of him. (legally).

Last edited:

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
939series trucks do not state "off road only". I'm not sure where you got that info - hopefully the seller is more knowledgeable than that.

Titles are taking 90+ days from GP.

Cali won't let you take the cdl test in an mv. May as well rent a truck and take your cdl test and be all ready to go. Suggestion - go ahead and get the class a...

Plane Fast

Not sure about your plan. You will need to be insured. The more time behind the wheel of my M923. The more I realize how much can go wrong with these trucks. Blow a steer tire, roll into a mini van with a family etc.. Then they find out you do not have insurance or a proper license! You will be toast! Good luck with your truck. Maybe you could keep looking for better shipping rates. I hope you get it home safe.

Last edited:

Tom Thumb

Lots of good folks here giving good advice. I'm happy to be part of you guys. I've decided one way or another I won't transport this truck illegally.

For anyone who might want to buy one of these and register it in Cali.
1. The Cali AQMD won't let you register a truck weighing over 26K with an engine older than 1992. Even then, you have to have it retrofitted to post 2010 engine specs due to polutants. I'm hoping I can get around this by registering it as a vehicle of historic value.
2. When you buy a vehicle from GP they don't tell you that you have to request a title for the truck (costs $50) and that gives you a military title called a SF 97. If you need a regular non-military title you have to pay $250 and some how go through florida.

Shipping it would probably be cheaper. All it takes is one blowout, or breakdown and your spending more. I bought two m923's out of fort Riley, and I shipped them.

this is an expensive hobby

JDToumanian

Cali won't let you take the cdl test in an mv. May as well rent a truck and take your cdl test and be all ready to go. Suggestion - go ahead and get the class a...
Where did you get that information? I've been reading the CDL handbook in preparation for the exam, and I was told by Barstow DMV that I will become qualified on whatever vehicle I bring to the drive test, and nothing more. So if I bring my HEMTT I will be restricted to automatic transmissions, if I bring my M818 I will be restricted to hydraulic brakes, etc.

For my recovery trip I'm bringing a friend who has a class A and I will have my learners permit so I can drive with him in the truck.

Jon

wheelspinner

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Lots of good folks here giving good advice. I'm happy to be part of you guys. I've decided one way or another I won't transport this truck illegally.

For anyone who might want to buy one of these and register it in Cali.
1. The Cali AQMD won't let you register a truck weighing over 26K with an engine older than 1992. Even then, you have to have it retrofitted to post 2010 engine specs due to polutants. I'm hoping I can get around this by registering it as a vehicle of historic value.
2. When you buy a vehicle from GP they don't tell you that you have to request a title for the truck (costs $50) and that gives you a military title called a SF 97. If you need a regular non-military title you have to pay $250 and some how go through florida.
Its not "somehow going through FL". GP is a registered dealer, and they provide a fully executed, tranferrable title that was issued to them in the state of FL. This is only necessary if your state (I have no idea about CA) accepts the SF97. The SF97 is a certificate of origin, same as a new car dealer turns in, but from a different source, to obtain title for you on a new car. You just never see it.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Where did you get that information? I've been reading the CDL handbook in preparation for the exam, and I was told by Barstow DMV that I will become qualified on whatever vehicle I bring to the drive test, and nothing more. So if I bring my HEMTT I will be restricted to automatic transmissions, if I bring my M818 I will be restricted to hydraulic brakes, etc.

For my recovery trip I'm bringing a friend who has a class A and I will have my learners permit so I can drive with him in the truck.

Jon
I got that information from someone who waned to take their California cdl test in an m925a1 and was told they couldn't, that it didn't have the required equipment for the pre-trip checks test out.

fortunately I have no first hand experience with California's CDL. Artisan does, ask him. Quickfarms is highly knowledgeable on the topic as well.

quickfarms

I got that information from someone who waned to take their California cdl test in an m925a1 and was told they couldn't, that it didn't have the required equipment for the pre-trip checks test out.

fortunately I have no first hand experience with California's CDL. Artisan does, ask him. Quickfarms is highly knowledgeable on the topic as well.
I looked into this several years ago when I needed to get a new CDL.

CA does not require the DMV examiners, or CHP commercial officers to have a CDL. Competency varies widely between personnel.

When taking the test it is recommended that you use a truck they are used to seeing, hence a CDL school truck. If you bring a truck they are not used to seeing they could perform a full DOT inspection or fail it for some simple item. This could lead to a red tag and tow. They could simply refuse to let you use the truck for the test because it does not have CA or USDOT numbers, current weight sticker, does not have a current CVSA sticker or has historic plates.

One big issue these truck have is the wedge brakes. How do you inspect the slack adjusters? You can't because wedge brakes do not use slack adjusters. So you will loose points on the pretrip for this and the whole issue could confuse and distract the examiner and get them in a bad mood.

The other advantage of using a civilian truck is comfort. This includes the seat, heat and air conditioning and background noise. You need to be able to hear and follow the examiners instructions, failure to do so will cost you points or could lead to an immediate fail. A comfortable DMV examiner is better for the testee.

The next issue is either series of military 5 ton will lead to a restriction on your license. You could have to redo the entire process to remove the exception.

Your results may vary by DMV office.

JDToumanian

I looked into this several years ago when I needed to get a new CDL.

CA does not require the DMV examiners, or CHP commercial officers to have a CDL. Competency varies widely between personnel.

When taking the test it is recommended that you use a truck they are used to seeing, hence a CDL school truck. If you bring a truck they are not used to seeing they could perform a full DOT inspection or fail it for some simple item. This could lead to a red tag and tow. They could simply refuse to let you use the truck for the test because it does not have CA or USDOT numbers, current weight sticker, does not have a current CVSA sticker or has historic plates.

One big issue these truck have is the wedge brakes. How do you inspect the slack adjusters? You can't because wedge brakes do not use slack adjusters. So you will loose points on the pretrip for this and the whole issue could confuse and distract the examiner and get them in a bad mood.

The other advantage of using a civilian truck is comfort. This includes the seat, heat and air conditioning and background noise. You need to be able to hear and follow the examiners instructions, failure to do so will cost you points or could lead to an immediate fail. A comfortable DMV examiner is better for the testee.

The next issue is either series of military 5 ton will lead to a restriction on your license. You could have to redo the entire process to remove the exception.

Your results may vary by DMV office.
Great info, thanks! The HEMTT does have slack adjusters, but your other points are still valid. I wonder how much it would cost, in both time and money, to get the class A through a truck driving school?... I don't have a civilian truck to take the test in, and I'd like to be able to legally drive my XM818 with a trailer when I get the engine swapped or overhauled.

Jon

Last edited:

fasttruck

The enchanted state of New Jersey will not allow a CDL test in a MV unless it is registered as a commercial vehicle which opens up a whole new world of compliance issues: USDOT registration, fuel tax registration, FMVSS compliant lighting, seat belts, fire extinguisher, safety triangles, a licensed driver to accompany you to the test site and so on. And, if you are lucky enought to pass the first time the process typically takes six weeks to complete. Most failures are in the yard and most are for failure to correctly test the air brakes.

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You should be able to get a historical plate for it in CA...at least I got one for my '80 Pete years ago. The lady at the DMV didn't like it one bit, but couldn't stop it, either.
Never got pulled over with that plate so I'm not sure what the result would've been, but the way the law read I was okay if going to a club function or event.
Usually I was, to go 'wheeling in my Jeep which as in the back of the trailer. It didn't say what vehicle the event was supposed to be for or about.
Worth a try, right?
Better yet, move out of CA while it's still legal to do so.

Oh, completely forgot the best part. Your truck will become an automobile in the process of getting historical plates. My registration went from some $1,600 to $40.
Still kept the CDL to be able to pull doubles.

Last edited:

quickfarms

Great info, thanks! The HEMTT does have slack adjusters, but your other points are still valid. I wonder how much it would cost, in both time and money, to get the class A through a truck driving school?... I don't have a civilian truck to take the test in, and I'd like to be able to legally drive my XM818 with a trailer when I get the engine swapped or overhauled.

Jon
Dootson in arcadia has the pay as you go plan. They do not mandate the amount of time, or money, that it takes. Unless you are on the GI bill. They will work with you until they think you can pass, then you get to take the test.

It took me one month and one test at DMV.

My suggestion is to get your permit, and medical, practice with a friend, learn the skills (pretrip, double clutch shifting, backing, alley dock and parallel parking) go to school for some polish and take the test at DMV.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks