• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Any cdl drivers needing ride from Kansas to California after the first of the year?

BnaditCorps

I've driven all kinds of these things all over the place. I can tell you from experience you shouldn't have any problems in KS, OK, NV, TX, or UT. I'm not telling you what the law states, I'm just telling you my experiences interacting with LEO.

California is a different world. I won't drive one of these trucks there. (And i lived there for 10 years).
The best state in the nation eh? <---- Yea no i don't support that opinion

Tom Thumb

Since my last post I've learned a few things about California DMV requirements in regards to big deisel MVs.
You don't have to replace the engine if:
1. You can register it as a historic vehicle (but need to run it in parades from time to time).
2. You can register it as an RV (if you convert it).
3. You can register it as a low use vehicle but can only put 5K miles per year on it.

Also,
You can get a 1 time trip registration to bring it into California legally.
California accepts SF 97s.
You can get a non-commercial liscense by studying the handbook, then renting a commercial truck from a rental company. (Don't take your MV to the DMV, they don't like that).

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You may want to look at the CDL and the registration of the vehicle as two separate issues.
If registering the vehicle correctly (I prefer the Historical Vehicle approach) the CDL becomes a non-issue. Unless, of course, you want or need one anyway.
To register as an RV in CA can be tricky if the vehicle was originally made to pull trailers (tractor) or haul loads (truck). With enough amenities such as a toilet, shower, kitchen, etc. it's theroretically doable. Missing the latter two, and having a 5th wheel, I never managed. Come to think of it, I tried without the 5th wheel, too, and failed.
They may want you to run in an occasional parade with the Historical plate, but I doubt that even the NSA would know if you didn't.

ryanaubra

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Shipping can be expensive, but do you know what is more expensive - towing a 30,000# truck to the nearest large-truck wrecker yard and repairs. I speak from experience, you can have all the military mechanics in the world look a truck over and unless they pack a spare every-single-part-on-the-truck in the back, along with a mechanic and tools, inevitably you are going to get 400 miles from nowhere and break down. No one will have the part you need and then you will have to get a tow, a hotel room, a rental car to get home, then pay for repairs, and then probably have to pay to get the thing shipped anyway. Save the adventures for shorter trips. It is not fun being stranded in one of these things. Been there, done that, got a T-shirt - a $4000 T-shirt.

armytruck63

If registering the vehicle correctly (I prefer the Historical Vehicle approach) the CDL becomes a non-issue.
Alas, this statement is NOT true in California, which requires a Class B CDL for any three axle vehicle that weighs 6000 lbs. or more. This applies whether or not the vehicle is registered Historical or not. If you're going through the trouble of getting a CDL, I would recommend a Class A instead of the limited Class B.

Getting a CDL is not that hard and just requires some study, effort and practice. Your garbage man has one.

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ah, sorry, forgot about that part. Removed a drive axle as soon as possible, so I never had to deal with that issue.
And yes, if getting a CDL, get the real thing, with as many endorsements as possible.

MDdeuce

The enchanted state of New Jersey will not allow a CDL test in a MV unless it is registered as a commercial vehicle which opens up a whole new world of compliance issues: USDOT registration, fuel tax registration, FMVSS compliant lighting, seat belts, fire extinguisher, safety triangles, a licensed driver to accompany you to the test site and so on. And, if you are lucky enought to pass the first time the process typically takes six weeks to complete. Most failures are in the yard and most are for failure to correctly test the air brakes.
I took my CDL exam in a FMTV in the enchanted land of NJ. It was not tagged commercial, in fact it was not tagged at all - owned and operated by the US Army, so no tags, registration or insurance to be bothered with. Passed with a Class B + air brakes. However, we had a good relationship with the DMV guys, and experience and temperament does vary greatly between offices.

Agree with many of the others here, licensing and registration are separate issues. Also recommend you do not drive without PROPER insurance and license. One accident or incident and you are going to get a bunch of tickets and likely opening yourself to nearly limitless liability. Don't forget about IFTA permits, I'm sure the weigh station guys and commercial enforcement LEOs like to check them - IFTA tickets are expensive.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks