• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Any idea what could have caused this?

Action

maybe a bely in the wrong groove caused it to jump a pulley and wrap around the fan. If the belts were just put back on 30 miles ago. Or just one pulley out of alignment could cause it to jump off.

dilvoy

Well, that water pump needs changing again anyway, even if it wasn't the cause. Can you see any marks on the fan shroud that would have been where all the blades might have made contact? It's impossible or near impossible to install the four allen head screws that hold the fan clutch in place and locktite them with the cooling stack in place. How was the job done?

Last edited:

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
that pump has a lot of rust stain. I know it has nothing to do with the failure but have you flushed the bottle, heater, and system. Mine was full of nice rusty sediment.

Belts too tight, fan clutch / pulley out of alignment, fan clutch studs/nuts loose, engine mounts worn causing movement are a few things that come to mind from my selling parts in another lifetime. You can see that kind of failure on very old high mile water pumps but should not on a new one. Problem is that most pumps now are made somewhere else. No one rebuilds them anymore. Everything is now new. What brand was the pump?

Action

By looking at that pinched / cut belt. my bet is still on belt getting stuck in fan. If that happens while it is running to cool the engine, something has to give.

parklandtrans

I agree with 86 humv...where's the fan clutch Assy..?? We all know what happens when a fan clutch seizes up...a real weird vibration right before the metal klunking sounds start. Also for the 25 plus years in the automotive industry, I have seen my share of brand new..not rebuilt parts fail before vehicle even leaves the shop bay. I think national average of parts failures in the automotive aftermarket is somewhere between 12-18%...which real is not that bad if it is viewed from an overall number of units sold...my 2 cents for what it's worth..

3000gt

When i bought the humvee the fan clutch wire was unplugged (its the small wire on the drivers side when you open the hood) I left it this way cause when i plugged it in it made a weird noise. I have since driven vehicle over 1000 miles on/off road. We were at the lake bottom that day and I noticed a vibrating noise coming from right side of vehicle on the trip down there. I am thinking I may have broke one of the fan blades which cause the vibration. While headed home my power steering went out and the vibration stopped but my engine temp skyrocketed. When i popped the hood i saw this cluster F#$@ of a mess. Part of my fan shroud is broken too BTW

3000gt

I agree with 86 humv...where's the fan clutch Assy..?? We all know what happens when a fan clutch seizes up...a real weird vibration right before the metal klunking sounds start. Also for the 25 plus years in the automotive industry, I have seen my share of brand new..not rebuilt parts fail before vehicle even leaves the shop bay. I think national average of parts failures in the automotive aftermarket is somewhere between 12-18%...which real is not that bad if it is viewed from an overall number of units sold...my 2 cents for what it's worth..
(FAN CLUTCH)I took it off and it appears to be ok

3000gt

that pump has a lot of rust stain. I know it has nothing to do with the failure but have you flushed the bottle, heater, and system. Mine was full of nice rusty sediment.

Belts too tight, fan clutch / pulley out of alignment, fan clutch studs/nuts loose, engine mounts worn causing movement are a few things that come to mind from my selling parts in another lifetime. You can see that kind of failure on very old high mile water pumps but should not on a new one. Problem is that most pumps now are made somewhere else. No one rebuilds them anymore. Everything is now new. What brand was the pump?
Bought pump at O-Reillys

infidel got me

Water broke the fan blade-- witnessed two already. Anyone that has purchased a surplus Humvee, do yourself a favor and change the drive belts and the fan blade with a new one. They are old and brittle. The first one that broke took out the shroud. The second one that broke on my other buddy's took out the radiator. Both broke going through water ( under 5 mph) On a safety note, I would not stand over a engine that is being revved up.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks