• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Any idea what could have caused this?

infidel got me

Not to bad of a job-- can be done in about two hrs. You will cut your hands, that fan blade is a barracuda mixed with a pit bull. You will have to disconnect the hydraulic hose that goes to your fan clutch. If you have big hands -- this is where the challenge come into play. Take your time and you will conquer it. Have a first aid kit handy! Take a sawsall and cut two or three blades out of your way. You can then loosen the line easily. Install your new belts, fan and reinstall hydraulic line.

Last edited:

infidel got me

The belts on these vehicles are old and weathered. Every surplus Humvee that I've seen should have them replaced. The belts are cheap enough and should be part of your maintenance checklist.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The issue with blades breaking is the drover not adhering to correct fording practices....not a so called brittle fan blade.
the TM calls for the operator slowly enter the water after fully depressing the accelerator, the full depression eganges the fan disconnect t switch for 30secs, this is the same switch that engages on full throttle on passing to freewheel the fan to allow for more power. Blazing through large body's of water is not recommended, for various reasons.
i have tested old fan blades with a hammer....they are incredibly hard to brake.
Also, I do not buy my water pumps from local auto stores, I only use NOS pumps if at all possible.
i must have different mfg pumps in the shop for 6.2-6.5 vbelt engines, the highest quality NOS pumps I have are factory painted black with a nice black enamel. But I should say, I have used local off the shelf pumps with no real issues, I just didn't find that the overall appearance showed the quality of the NOS pumps I like to use, may mean nothing though.
If you do buy a local pump, don't buy the cheapest one they have...again, my opinion.

in the end, there is no way to tell where your failure point was, pump, belt etc.

on another note, when you replace the pump, get the water pump backing plate gasket from felpro, in the kit are 2 WP gaskets "one is for V-belt pump, the other is for Serpitine pump" and a backing plate basket.

dilvoy

The Humvee pump had a special impeller so maybe if shopping for a water pump and not getting a Military Pump, look for a high flow version if it is available.

86humv

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a few nos surplus pumps available.
Q.D's also for the fan disconnect.

3000gt

Water broke the fan blade-- witnessed two already. Anyone that has purchased a surplus Humvee, do yourself a favor and change the drive belts and the fan blade with a new one. They are old and brittle. The first one that broke took out the shroud. The second one that broke on my other buddy's took out the radiator. Both broke going through water ( under 5 mph) On a safety note, I would not stand over a engine that is being revved up.
I installed new belts 3 months ago when I installed my 200 amp generator/alternator. Water could be the culprit for the broken blade. Good idea.. do I need to leave fan clutch plugged in?

3000gt

Take a sawsall and cut two or three blades out of your way. You can then loosen the line easily. Install your new belts, fan and reinstall hydraulic line.

HUH won't u get balance issues?

3000gt

Lol that was a stupid question. I tried to install water pump without removing radiator. Unless u have dwarf hands your boned!

infidel got me

I can tell you what happened-- water broke a few blades, causing an imbalance, thus taking out the water pump. My buddy did the same thing trying to (take it easy) driving it home 30 miles. He was not as lucky as you, got his radiator as well.

What I meant to say is cut a few blades off your old fan blade (the one you are replacing) so you can get to line at hydraulic fan clutch.
While your in there, put a quick disconnect on it. Fellow member has them for sale-- mentioned above.

Last edited:

Action

3000gt, did you drive this into deep water with the TDM unplugged? If so, I don't recall you telling us that.
Also, did you just go out and buy some belts for it? Or, did you get matched sets?

Last edited:

3000gt

3000gt, did you drive this into deep water with the TDM unplugged? If so, I don't recall you telling us that.
Also, did you just go out and buy some belts for it? Or, did you get matched sets?
Yes but not that deep. New belts came with alternator/ generator I put on a month ago

When I purchased humvee the electrical part was unplugged. When I plugged it in, the fan made a weird noise so I left it unplugged. Now, I do have a disconnect on the fan clutch and it is plugged in (the hydraulic coupler).

Action

Normally, when that plug is disconnected, the fan will start spinning with the motor. It is a default in case something goes wrong.

If someone previously disconnected that connection, it was likely to keep the motor from overheating. I guess they didn't fix what was wrong with it.
I don't know what happened to your fan, but I wouldn't have went fording without having it all working properly first.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks