• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Any info on this company

Royalpower

We will try and make it to the GA rally but will depend on what we have ready to at the time. That and peewee football.
Sorry if my reply was a little harsh. I defend the trucks we build as if they were my kids. We put our blood sweat and tears into these builds and hate when they are questioned buy people who have never seen one in person. I will post some build picks as soon as I figure how to from my phone!
I just realized you guys are in GA. I see you guys are almost 2 hours away from me. I may be headed to NC for some tires. If I go then maybe I'll plan it such that I pass through your neck of the woods and check out your place.

Gear Report

I don't know the hassle in New Hampshire of getting these things vind and registered .
You said you are in a hurry. IP auctions require an End Use Certificate before you can take possession of the vehicle. 2 weeks ago someone at IP told me they were getting back approved EUCs that had been submitted 14 weeks prior.
So... unless you already have a recent, cleared EUC on file, then I doubt you would be able to take possession of a HMMWV from an IP auction soon enough to meet your needs.

That leaves private sales or dealers as viable options.

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
mattwspeed.

Couple questions:
1. Where'd you relocate the Batteries?
2. Do you still have the NATO Slave adapter?

mattwspeed

Royal, feel free to stop in and see us any time! We are open M-F 8-5.
Bikeman, Batteries in the HMMWV's stay under the passenger seat and they retain the slave cable connection.

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Really? dang, my eyes deceived me. It looked like that seat was lower than the top of the battery box.

zone zero

Thanks for all the helpful info guys, also MATT thanks for chiming in it's good to see you back up your products.
my next obstical is getting financing for one. I talked to several local banks and they won't touch an auto loan for a vehical older than 2010
i can get a personal loan but the rates are to high.
I've heard there's company's that do loans for old trucks specifically I'm digging around online .

If if anyone suggest a lender that can help me out let me know.

Matt I'll be in touch with you next week I tried the bank you suggested several time but have not gotten a call back.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A credit union may be better if you are a member of one. Then if you must finance the "toy" (this isn't exactly a normal truck) you may end up getting a personal loan and not an auto loan for the money.

zone zero

Well ive never been big on normal I'm daily driving an M1009 now and prior it's been jeeps and land rovers.
My big issues with modern trucks is simply I don't want or need all the extra crap they have in them. Between the electronics and all the bull**** under the hood you spend more time on the computer to fix them than with a wrench.
Plus I head pretty far off the pavement. the new jeeps and trucks just don't instill a lot of confidence not to mention,
my last jeep I built by the time it was done I had well over 25k into it just to have it set up how I needed it. Lift tires lockers Axles roof tent bumpers navigation and communication gear sleeping space for 2 and I daily drove it for over 6 years.

the humvee is a logical choice I can fabricate and weld so I can build a full hard top out of aluminum but still drive it durning that process I just need a solid running base vehicle, that's 4 door 4 passenger 4x4 with minimal electronics and plenty of space and ground clearance with out having to do heavy drive train mods

A credit union may be better if you are a member of one. Then if you must finance the "toy" (this isn't exactly a normal truck) you may end up getting a personal loan and not an auto loan for the money.

wheelspinner

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have known Matt for a few years now , but had never actually seen one of his trucks in person, so I was passing through north GA and stopped in. He had several trucks in different stages and they all looked very well done. I was impressed with the level of detail during customizing but still holding true to its military use and history, scars and other things. While there I also got to see this brand new hardtop he is producing that is just amazing. All TIG welded and carefully seam sealed its is beautiful. I gotta say, these are pretty nice trucks. The shop was clean and big, and I saw his mechanic servicing a set of hubs while I was there.

These arent frame-off 100 point restos, but 30 year old trucks that are gone through for any maintenance items (so at least you know it's been looked at) repaired where necessary and then customized to the end customer's wants. Honestly I'm not a huge fan of the speediliner finish but is only applied when the buyer requests it, which Matt says is almost every one.

I think These guys are doing a pretty good job at what seems a pretty reasonable cost.

I I have seen some other "customized " trucks that were pretty not great. But I like what Matt's doing and glad I have called him a friend for these years.

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

zone zero

Thanks this is good news I'm still loan hunting and I'll be calling Matt back to find out a few more details.
Thoes pictures are fantastic. I'll have to ask about that top.

I have known Matt for a few years now , but had never actually seen one of his trucks in person, so I was passing through north GA and stopped in. He had several trucks in different stages and they all looked very well done. I was impressed with the level of detail during customizing but still holding true to its military use and history, scars and other things. While there I also got to see this brand new hardtop he is producing that is just amazing. All TIG welded and carefully seam sealed its is beautiful. I gotta say, these are pretty nice trucks. The shop was clean and big, and I saw his mechanic servicing a set of hubs while I was there.

These arent frame-off 100 point restos, but 30 year old trucks that are gone through for any maintenance items (so at least you know it's been looked at) repaired where necessary and then customized to the end customer's wants. Honestly I'm not a huge fan of the speediliner finish but is only applied when the buyer requests it, which Matt says is almost every one.

I think These guys are doing a pretty good job at what seems a pretty reasonable cost.

I I have seen some other "customized " trucks that were pretty not great. But I like what Matt's doing and glad I have called him a friend for these years.

View attachment 642312View attachment 642311View attachment 642310View attachment 642312View attachment 642311View attachment 642310

TNriverjet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You may also want to try Plan B Supply. They are a member here on SS. They are located in Utah, so shipping may be more of an issue. They have a decent website and YouTube channel.

NovacaineFix

I'm not in the HMMWV business but I like the trucks, one day plan on having one, well maybe.

Matt, not questioning your business or how you do things but I have 1 major question. Are you selling these trucks for "On Road" service and if so how are you doing that since most of these are designated for "Off Road Use Only" as per the agreement. Short of a full frame off with a H1 civi unit or just pushing it through the DMV and hoping it sticks, I don't see how you are "legally registering these, or is that left up to the individual buyer to handle?

Since I don't have one, I haven't had to go through the process, but I have heard from others that trying to get them street legal is next to near impossible. Or am I hearing wrong info, please anyone else chime in and let me know.
Screen Shot 2016-09-05 at 8.35.23 PM.png

avlon01

Depends on the state.

I brought my SF97 to the WI DMV and had no problems registering it as a "on road" Historic Military Vehicle even though all paperwork stated "off road use only". I just needed to provide color photos of all four sides of the vehicle, color photos of the interior, and a color photograph of the engine compartment.

Other states may not be as easy to work with.

Matt, not questioning your business or how you do things but I have 1 major question. Are you selling these trucks for "On Road" service and if so how are you doing that since most of these are designated for "Off Road Use Only" as per the agreement. Short of a full frame off with a H1 civi unit or just pushing it through the DMV and hoping it sticks, I don't see how you are "legally registering these, or is that left up to the individual buyer to handle?

Since I don't have one, I haven't had to go through the process, but I have heard from others that trying to get them street legal is next to near impossible. Or am I hearing wrong info, please anyone else chime in and let me know.
View attachment 642329

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks