• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Anybody ever won 2 auctions by accident??

mopar

I've owned 2 military Vehicles at one time before but usually one was in transition to a new owner. Three is a first and this is a big bullet to bite$$ and the wife is very stressed at how this will affect our credit for a house loan the big money tranfers.

Attachments

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have never "double won" anything from GL or any other government related auction.

I HAVE however won multiple lots unexpectedly in non-MV related bidding. Typically the winning bidder defaults and they "offer" the bootie to the next higher bidder (without forcing them to take it). In those cases, since it's my choice, I have typically taken what I can afford. Surprisingly, almost every time that happens, I sell off the surplus from my good fortune and make a buck or two... almost always enough to cover the ONE item I was actually wanting, hence getting mine FOR FREE or at least really cheap. So far, I've been able to sell off those extras locally without much hassle, so even the overhead for liquidation is minimal... Love the NO SHIPPING aspect when dealing with heavy items.

Probably the best one was some unfinished (not shot-blasted, nor any grinding done) CANNON BARRELS from a defunct foundry. They were DECORATIVE ONLY and not cored for boring to a true cannon caliber. Each piece weighed in at 650 pounds. There were six up for bid, I got only the cheapest one, which was good for me since one is all I wanted. One bidder had gone much higher for the other five pieces, then defaulted on the whole deal. The auction house must have thought this through long and hard. They seemed desperate to unload these cannon barrels. When they called me to see if I was interested in the full set of six they had already contacted a shipper - who told them they could be shipped as SCRAP METAL Freight Rates since they were unfinished and from a defunct manufacturer - and had a "proposal" already prepared for me. If I took them all for just four times what I won the one for, they would palletize them and pay the freight!!! That was too good to refuse! We inked the deal and they were on my driveway in just 4 days. In the end, I came out smelling like a rose grossing over $4000 PROFIT, selling all six to a nearby rancher who wanted to display them on the hill outside the huge windows of his ranch house. He's had beautiful carriage sets made for them and appropriately scaled cannon balls too. (Though the barrels are only bored about 4" into the muzzle to appear real.) Kinda wish I had kept one, but his display does them much better justice than what I had in mind.

Carry on.

Oxyacetylene

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you can swing it, get both and then keep one of them. You can swap parts from the one you are going to sell and keep the better truck if one seems to be in any better shape. I would love to make an RV out of one of these but I will get more use out of my M1078. You could try marketing one of them as an extreme RV, bugout vehicle, zombie apocalypse survival vehicle...

Not sure about Fort Drum, but the Atlanta location is easy to work with. Once you make payment I'm sure you could work out something for picking it up. That's where I got my M1078.

atankersdad

In Memorial
In Memorial
I won 4 by accident when there was over 200 MEP 003s up for auction and i auto bid 10, thinking they would go higher than they did. 4 by accident plus 1 + 5 gen units...

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
You might check in your area for movie prop houses. You can make some good money (infrequently) by renting them out to production companies. Since the prices seem to be dropping I've considered adding one to my stable of green iron that I pimp out since they would look natural in a modern movie where military vehicles are featured.

Ratch

I won two large containers once by bidding my max acceptable on each. That was fun. It took over a year to sell one, but in the end, it paid for itself and the other one.

Good luck with two of these trucks, and I hope all goes well with your wife. I know I'd probably have to sleep in them if I were in your shoes...

mopar

Whatever you decide, you may wish to unload one sooner rather than later because if there is a glut of those, prices will fall fast.

2cents
I'm hoping there won't be a glut of the M1079 as there will most likely be with the M1078. Though the Box does limit who will want it. The boxed truck with heat and lights will definitely be great mobile hunting cabin!!!

mopar

Well just paid that Big nut and now to get them recovered so I can try and get the money back to the bank in time for our mortgage approval. This is a very stressful nightmare. GL does not answer emails or ever respond like they say they will on the phone.

whiskey357

Banned
Good luck on the resale...would like one but the B2 said later gator......the dogs look great next to your other MV's do they eat as much as you put in fuel for the MV's just wondering....best tof luck on this one ....Never won 2 in my life....

wheelspinner

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So after evading the countless furbearing low level ground drones got the truck picked up from Ft Drum. Really nice truck drive like a dream. image.jpgYou should do well with this one!

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
So, everything went "by the book"?

Oh yeah, you didn't read the book(TM)...:doghead:

mopar

Thanks
Can't wait to get to your AO and pick it up and drive it back. Hope this is a keeper still sweet talking the wife who wants nothing to do with it at the moment.

jesusgatos

Happens all the time. It's real hard to bid if you can't afford to buy multiple items. We watch the auctions and bid on anything/everything we might want, then watch the prices climb on some things and stay flat on others. Cannot see any rhyme or reason to it. The bidding action on those HET's last week was insane.

mopar

Picking up My M1079

Going to NY to drive it home tomorrow 262 miles to MA anything I should know or look out for? Truck runs and starts up fine was driven 110 miles from Drum with out issue. Just want to plan ahead as I don't have anyone with much experience with these for support if something should happen.
Pretty straight forward route I90 the whole way can't ask for better than that.
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=493119&d=1400082242

mopar

Picking up My M1079

Going to NY to drive it home tomorrow 262 miles to MA anything I should know or look out for? Truck runs and starts up fine was driven 110 miles from Drum with out issue. Just want to plan ahead as I don't have anyone with much experience with these for support if something should happen.
Pretty straight forward route I90 the whole way can't ask for better than that.
M1079.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks