• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Anybody have STRANGE stuff comeup

jbayer

I got one as well, asking for some media player file upgrade. I closed it but if I get it again, I'll post a screen shot.
I got this one too, about the media player upgrade, but only immediately after I clicked on "Today's posts" to refresh it and am now getting the "Your computer is infected, call the admin. along with a 866 xxx xxxx number to call.
Was very hard to get around, I'am now running multiple spyware/adware removal programs.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I've disabled the ads on the main page. That's a java script that brings forth content outside the site from google and their advertisers.

I've left the google search option up. But that result screen is all google.

If this is coming from the banner ads it should cease. But it could still happen on the search results page since that's google.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you are on Windows, and IE for a browser, open the 'Windows Task Manager' and click on the processes tab. If you find several instances of IE running, click on 'End Process' of the smallest one, it will kill all your IE sessions (when it does take effect), which you can immediately re-start. BUT, you need to immediately close the page/tab where the warning came up. Then you are back in business. If its FF on Windows, just end the FF session the same way, killing the one tab/page as they try to reload. I don't use the other browsers but I imagine it will work the same way. HTH.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
I had a box pop up on my work computer today (yes...I was on SS during duty hours:whistle:) said I needed to update my player, then my computer crashed and said I had to install the boot disk??

My office manager was in Atlanta on personal business and I don't know squat so I just unplugged it.

swiss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I did get a message today also pop up. I did not capture it (sorry I know better) and then tried to repeat and could not.

If anyone gets a message on windows 7 or greater type snippet at the start/run box and you will get a screen capture software that will allow you to screen capture the error which will help track down the issue.

I had entered a thread and moved my mouse down to read more and the message popped. It was related to the site. It was not the media player message.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Okay well please grab screen shots if it happens again. I haven't been able to duplicate it. And nothing shows out of place in vB. Google ads allow JavaScript on the site that was mentioned earlier and allows third party advertising.

tim292stro

Press the print-screen button on your Windows machine's keyboard - may read as "prt sc". This copies your current view to the clipboard, from there you can open MS paint and "Paste" and save the screen capture.

If you see something you don't expect on the screen hit that key as quick as you can then get rid of the window as described in other posts. You have to paste and save the screen capture before you reboot or you lose it. I'm interested in the issue as well PC/Server security is a hobby of mine - based on comments that a link or mouse movement may be the trigger, it sounds like a code injection attack.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Yes that was the one.
Wow, I guess I got lucky on that one. (Google image searched and came up with a screen like that often)

I've checked a few other parts of the site. Nothing turned up in them either. (Outside vB) But we've had the google ads off since last night. Please let me know if anyone see anything.

Gunzy

What ever you did at your end cured a problem I had on SS. I had to hit back page 4-5 times to back page, I could not enlarge any photos or upload photos. All that is now gone and all appears to work fine. I haven't tried to load a pic yet. I'll try that tomorrow after I pick up my M1101.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Nothing was really changed on the site. Just deactivated the google banner ads at the bottom of the page.

Has anyone seen any more of these issues? I've tried playing around more but I can't duplicate it.

swindad2

IF anyone is still having issues, here or on other sites, some adware infections cause this kind of problem. Most virus scanners will not detect this type of adware. One of the easiest tools to remove adware, browser hijackers, toolbars, etc is ADWCleaner. I use it in my PC repair shop (http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/adwcleaner/). Click on the "Download Now @ BleepingComputer" button. Find where the program downloaded and run it. Just hit scan, wait for it to finish, then hit clean. Windows Vista or newer users right click the program and choose "Run as Administrator". One word of caution, some popular programs, like Weatherbug, include advertising and ADWCleaner will sometimes flag them for removal. If you have something like this, then after the scan, click each tab and uncheck anything you want to keep.

Larry.

Last edited:

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Well I never found the exact problem, just working a hunch on the 3rd party Google ads. I'll keep bumping this thread daily though just in case.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks