• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Anybody have STRANGE stuff comeup

poppop

One of my computers is so messed up with popups I don't even try to use it for inter-net. I got them when I tried to install google chrome, uninstalled google chrome but still get the pop-ups.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I have not.
I know I've seen it happen now several times on gunbroker. (sorry, yeah, it's gun related, but they use the same ad system) I've been talking to Chris, once he gives me his google account details, I'm going to try to lock down the ad system very tightly on what is shown. Then I'll try to roll the ads back in for the site. But it if comes back with them, it's gone.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Still getting EPA threads popping up multiple times daily.

MarcusOReallyus

I haven't had any problem here, but twice in the last week on another site, on my home computer. I left it this morning with an Avira rescue disk running a scan for me, but now I'm wondering if the problem could be in the ads.

Patracy, how well will SS work if Javascript is disabled? Are you using it for anything besides the ads? If it's a JS attack via the ads, disabling JS will "cure" the problem.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
The ads were java based. But the internal JS scripting is used heavily on the site. Don't expect much to work here if you turn it off completely. (Reply windows, drop downs, exc.)

MarcusOReallyus

Well, the Avira scan found 4 infections on my machine. First time in... maybe 10 years or so, and I know how it got there. Flash drive.

Here's a tip I learned a few years back: On any USB drive, make a folder called, "autorun.inf". Not a file, a FOLDER.

Most viruses that spread via USB drives will put a text file called autorun.inf on your drive, along with a hidden program. An autorun.inf file is a standard file that gives instructions to Windows to run a program. Pop it in your computer, and it runs and you are infected.

But with a folder there by the same name, the virus can't write the text file, and the virus doesn't run. Cheap, free, and probably 90% effective, if not more.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks