• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Anybody know a source for M105 cover vinyl material?

oddshot

I just got mine in the mail. give me a like a day or 3 and ill get pics and compare.
Nothing in the mail yet for me, I can't wait to find out if this stuff is gonna work.

I need to replace the end curtain on my 1102, so this is of interest. Looking like it'll take two yards to do it.
If this stuff works out I'm thinking there is a world of uses for it.

Making a bikini top for a M35A2 without cutting up a usable top just to name one.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I got my sample when I got back to work today.

I'm thinking that it is just not as thick as the fabric for the covers. The sample is labeled military tent. It surely isn't as thick as a command tent.

A photo would only show color since you can't get a feel for anything else. I'll compare it at home and update accordingly.

timntrucks

Steel Soldiers Supporter
105 covers

i have a 105 cover all the stitching is apart. so its in 2 sections might help someone i also have a lmtv cover that has one rat hole and some stitching unraveling

Last edited:

Piper Cub

I bought a yard of this material in army green/black. It is a little thinner and the green is a little grayer than the cover, but it worked fine for patch material. I used VLP glue made by Plasti Dip to glue it over the cut and let it sit overnight with weight on it. This morning I put the cover on the truck and put more glue on the outside of the tear. The glue says to avoid direct sunlight while its wet so I taped the cardboard over it. So far everything seems good, but I'll report back after I've driven it with the cover on.
20140920_091046[1].jpg20140920_090951[1].jpg20140921_091718[1].jpg20140921_094554[1].jpg20140921_105411[1].jpg

tim292stro

I've found it best to heat laminate/weld the vinyl.

I also have been looking at the ahh.biz vinyls, I have samples of tan-on-green temper tent, solid color mil-grade vinyl, and mylar-faced vinyl. I'll be using the tan on black for my S-250 shelter roof-tent, and doing a Mylar-faced vinyl sandwich with Thinsulate quilting as an inner tent liner.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In tan it looks like the real stuff but like I said, it just feels a little thinner. I guess I could put a mic on it to see.......

If I needed a new cover and could not find one in like new condition I would make one out of it if that helps.

tim292stro

In tan it looks like the real stuff but like I said, it just feels a little thinner...
I recently had the opportunity to view/touch an older M923 tan vinyl cover, while I had my AHH sample nearby. It's my believe that this is the same material. The thickness felt the same, but I noticed that the stiffness of the M923 cover was harder than the sample I have.

Chalk it up to aging I guess? Maybe the vinyl gets harder from prolonged UV exposure and eventually gets more brittle as a result - might have something to do with damage being common in covers that never saw action...

Also now that I have a Base-X tent, I can say it's my belief that the AHH material is the same as what HDT is using.

2cents :beer:

tim292stro

I think you inadvertently found a golden nugget there - they have the MIL-Spec listed on their site. That's really what you want, as it eliminates guesswork.

The pertinent details regarding weight I gather from MIL-PRF-32002D Notice 1 "COVER MATERIAL, VEHICLE, COATED TACTICAL AND COMBAT, HEAVY-DUTY, WATERPROOF" (the latest version of the spec they reference), is under section 3.4.1:

"...
3.4 Interface requirements.
3.4.1 Weight. The cover material shall have a maximum weight of 0.746 kilogram per square meter (kg/m2) (22 oz/yd2) (see 4.4.3.1).
..."

and following their pointer:

"...
4.4.3 Interface requirements verification.
4.4.3.1 Weight. To determine conformance to 3.4.1, the cover material shall be weighed and the mass per unit area determined. The weight shall be a maximum of 0.746 kg/m2 (22 oz/yd2).
..."

The basic "jist" is, it has to be less-than or equal-to 22oz/yd[SUP]2[/SUP] and still meet the other performance requirements in the spec - so we need someone to take their known-good/clean cover and cut a square yard out of it to weight it. :)

One other thing, yes they mention on their site that they can provide material up to 18oz weight, but they mostly are talking on their site about 13oz fabric. when I talked to AHH.biz they said they could make anything I asked for (I was asking about a special color combination) - the catch was I had to order a factory roll (5000yards x 72"). Be careful with these guys who are used to dealing in volume [thumbzup].

I did a Google search for that spec and found a few other potential sources for covers - again, once you have the spec it's easy to find people/companies that are talking about the same thing!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks