• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Anyone along the East Coast without power right now?

Katahdin

I'm still on grid power as well. Central Maine Power is only reporting 4K outages at this time, with most of those near Augusta.

During the wind storm in October I had lost power for 5 days.

Tidal surge in the coastal areas seem to be a problem. I've been seeing a lot of flood footage posted on FaceBook.

Last edited:

SCM35A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
We got a good bit of snow last night here in SC, but as far as I know nobody lost power.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
nope

mvarnold

Hi all, We lost power at 15:30 today and I fired up my MEP002A and everything worked well. I switched to the auxiliary fuel pump which is connected via hose to my indoor fuel oil tank, because the onboard tank was only half full. When I went out around 18:30 to check system status, I had red colored heating fuel leaking onto the trailer and onto the ground. It appears like the auxiliary fuel pump over filled the onboard tank. Can anyone provide some tips for diagnosis? Stuck shutoff float? Bad shutoff switch? Electrical issues? Any help will be greatly appreciated. Michael Arnold, Carlisle, PA.

jamawieb

Hi all, We lost power at 15:30 today and I fired up my MEP002A and everything worked well. I switched to the auxiliary fuel pump which is connected via hose to my indoor fuel oil tank, because the onboard tank was only half full. When I went out around 18:30 to check system status, I had red colored heating fuel leaking onto the trailer and onto the ground. It appears like the auxiliary fuel pump over filled the onboard tank. Can anyone provide some tips for diagnosis? Stuck shutoff float? Bad shutoff switch? Electrical issues? Any help will be greatly appreciated. Michael Arnold, Carlisle, PA.
I would put money on the float sticking in the downward position so it never sent the signal to the solenoid to close.

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My guess as well. Thats the trouble with the aux fills... work great, until they don't.

beastm35

No, we are still are on line snows all done here in eastern ct. We have about a foot ,we still have a lot of wind though.Thankfully we did not need the genny...

dav5

I don't know if the float system is similar to an 803 but when it happened on my 803 Guyfang advised that it won't shut off if you switch it when it is part full. I don't understand the theory. Hopefully he will explain.

Bmxenbrett

The 800 series uses two float switches. One at the top to turn the aux pump off and one at the bottom to start the aux pump.
If your set is over filling its the top float. You can reach into the filler hole and feel/see them. Wiggle them around a bit while you feel for the aux pump coming on. You may be better off filling by fuel cans than the aux system until its fixed. I know its so un dignified to fill with a fuel can. Lol

jamawieb

The 800 series uses two float switches. One at the top to turn the aux pump off and one at the bottom to start the aux pump.
If your set is over filling its the top float. You can reach into the filler hole and feel/see them. Wiggle them around a bit while you feel for the aux pump coming on. You may be better off filling by fuel cans than the aux system until its fixed. I know its so un dignified to fill with a fuel can. Lol
Actually the top float controls the aux fuel pump. When it floats to the top it cuts the pump off and when it falls to the bottom it activates the pump. The lower float controls the low fuel fault indicator so it does not run the generator dry of fuel. He does have the 002a which is just a 1 float system, that activates and deactivates the fuel solenoid.

mvarnold

thank you all for the tips. have not had a chance to check the float mechanism yet, but we got commercial power back in 5 hours. This was the first time I used the aux. fuel function so I'm glad to have discovered this issue before we have a significant black-out. This is a GREAT web site. Michael

Chainbreaker

thank you all for the tips. have not had a chance to check the float mechanism yet, but we got commercial power back in 5 hours. This was the first time I used the aux. fuel function so I'm glad to have discovered this issue before we have a significant black-out. This is a GREAT web site. Michael
Now that your back on grid I would pull the AUX sender out of your MEP-002a's tank. Clean it up and then verify that it is set to the proper float shutoff dimension as specified in the TM. Remember you can always manually switch the panel Master Switch between the Run/AUX position and Run/Prime if it were to look like it was going to overfill the tank. That way, even if it were to not shut off the AUX solenoid valve & Pump you could still get it to refill during an extended outage, eliminating the need to have to resort to Jerry can filling.

Last edited:

Bmxenbrett

Test your aux system every time you test the generator. Even if your sucking fuel out of a jerry can. The aux system is quite nice to have working for a 16hr+ outage.

Guyfang

Staff member
Got to be the float. There is an off chance its the S1, saw that twice also. But would bet the float.

I don't understand "advised that it won't shut off if you switch it when it is part full." exactly what you mean. The systems are similar, but not quite the same. The A9 module, in the 802 and 803, is the big difference.

Last edited:

dav5

Got to be the float. There is an off chance its the S1, saw that twice also. But would bet the float.

I don't understand "advised that it won't shut off if you switch it when it is part full." exactly what you mean. The systems are similar, but not quite the same. The A9 module, in the 802 and 803, is the big difference.
Guyfang in the "803a fuel level adjustment" thread, post # 43 this is what you advised me " When you tested the aux fuel pump, what position was the FL-1 and FL-2? If they were in the low/no fuel position, then the aux wont turn off."

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks