• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Anyone curious about the M35A3?

spicergear

red devils dude said:
my local marine recruiter was in the transportation core he said CTIS is and always will be a HUGE pain in the back side
takes 60 mins to fill a tire(what he said) wheel weighs 300lbs(also what he said) so I'm thinking bad idea.

Does he mean the wheel or the wheel/tire combo? I believe that's a 325 Michelin...ought to be around 200#'s. Those wheels are pretty awesome!

rdixiemiller

The tire/wheel set is pretty heavy. A buddy drove one in the guard, he said the seats were nice, the truck was quiet. He also said they spent more time being towed in than the A-2. He was not impressed. He did say a couple got trashed and they swapped the seats into the A2's before they turned the trucks back in.

M1075

Does that make you drool like me? I'll take the one in the background as well.

I heard about a guy in Cali who was using a few of these as part of adventure tours. Maybe they were purchased directly from rebuild? Looks too damn nice to be surplus.

vlmuke

I made parts for the CTIS and they have some tight tolerances the part that bolts to the wheel are made out of brass and they don't like dirt or sand from what I've heard they are real problematic troops don't like them
RichB

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Recovry4x4 said:
I'm sorry, thie interior looks way cool but the -A3s are just butt ugly in my opinion.
:ditto: :ditto: :ditto: :ditto:

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
The 3 point seat belts have a long pieces of steel added to each corner of the cab to mount the shoulder pivot. There is a Modification kitr( i think ) to install 3 point seat belts in A2's

So does anyone know where to get such an kit? I looked around online this morning and couldn't find it anywhere. I would love to have (correct) 3 point harnesses in mine.

I know this is an A3 thread but before I started a new one, I figured I'd try to squeeze something additional out of this one.

jwaller

if you can find and a3 that is being scrapped then you can rob it off one of those but there was no MWO to retro the older trucks.

colomil

Here is an M35A3 that the Russians shot up over in Georgia. No matter how cool they look, small arms fire can stop them in their tracks. I bet we will see this on ebay soon with a low reserve :-D

Attachments

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Small arms fire stops most thin skinned vehicles in their tracks, from Jeeps to Humvees to deuces to PLS's....... Whats your point?

colomil

I just thought it was intersting to see one of these truck in a real world conflict. Low-budget Countries like Georgia end up using trucks like this a little close to the front line.

I think the money that went into the ESP went instead into an up-armor for the m35A2, the end result would be a more useful/safe truck than the A3. Just imagine an MRAP breeding with a deuce...

Flea

I just thought it was intersting to see one of these truck in a real world conflict. Low-budget Countries like Georgia end up using trucks like this a little close to the front line.

I think the money that went into the ESP went instead into an up-armor for the m35A2, the end result would be a more useful/safe truck than the A3. Just imagine an MRAP breeding with a deuce...

I'd be thinking "that poor multi!" You'd probably have to start out in low range!

I seem to recall reading something about how the trucks like the M35 were safer in land mine tests than the FMTV's because the wheels put the blast under the engine rather than the passenger compartment.

I think the fact that the South Koreans use the exact same deuce with a KIA industrial engine is a testament to the design of the rest of the truck. Upgrade them with modern brakes, selectable lockers for certain models, inspect the rigidity of the frame, add a better medium-duty diesel (like a DT466 or Cummins B-series), and you'd probably be able to get another 20-30 years out of a proven design. You could even add about 6" to the frame to allow for more cab space, opening the possibility for protected hydraulic fluid and battery storage, and allow for more room for the crew. I'd imagine it'd be relatively easy to take an M36 chassis and design a crew-cabbed deuce.

Ah, how easy it is to play armchair quarterback...

tm america

i think a3 was a great improvement to the a2 everything was to help our soldiers power steering and auto trans and more power anyone that doesnt like that should try driving a slow manual steering stick shift a2 with one arm after you been shot and while you are still being shot at in a war situation think about it:?: as far as durability they have plenty of people to work on them and all of our money to spend on parts:-D

colomil

I must agee with the power steering & auto tranny. This would allow the driver to use one arm & one leg to drive, freeing up his trigger finger to dispatch "allah akbar" shouting towel-heads...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks