• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Anyone Deal With Green Mountain Generators?

Buttweet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for this forum. Question about the fuel pumps on MEP003A's: I have 3 of these gensets and finally got all 3 running. However, after setting for a few months none of the 3 will start. After checking everything I have concluded that the problems may be the fuel pumps. When I try to start them, I don't hear the fast clicking of the pumps and no smoke from the exhaust, so obviously no fuel is being delivered to the IP.
Finally my question: can these pumps be disassembled, cleaned, filter changed and be expected to work again. They are extremely expensive. Thx for any info out there!

screejunk

Thanks for this forum. Question about the fuel pumps on MEP003A's: I have 3 of these gensets and finally got all 3 running. However, after setting for a few months none of the 3 will start. After checking everything I have concluded that the problems may be the fuel pumps. When I try to start them, I don't hear the fast clicking of the pumps and no smoke from the exhaust, so obviously no fuel is being delivered to the IP.
Finally my question: can these pumps be disassembled, cleaned, filter changed and be expected to work again. They are extremely expensive. Thx for any info out there!
Yes, simple to clean and inspect. I own GMG. You can buy a small replacement screen and gasket which is a good idea, but cleaning the one in the unit has a 50/50 chance of being good. Some elbow grease and clean diesel is all you need and some good brushes. Compressed air is needed to blow out parts. Be careful when you disassemble as there are some very small parts which can go flying. Disassemble in a closed room or bench. If one of a few small parts are broken, that's when you might have to buy a new pump. Or find a bad spare or two and take parts from it. We have not been able to find any exploded diagrams of the pump's parts, so tricky to find parts. You can also purchase used from various sources. An alternative and cheap route is to get the specs and then find an aftermarket pump for much cheaper.

Buttweet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, simple to clean and inspect. I own GMG. You can buy a small replacement screen and gasket which is a good idea, but cleaning the one in the unit has a 50/50 chance of being good. Some elbow grease and clean diesel is all you need and some good brushes. Compressed air is needed to blow out parts. Be careful when you disassemble as there are some very small parts which can go flying. Disassemble in a closed room or bench. If one of a few small parts are broken, that's when you might have to buy a new pump. Or find a bad spare or two and take parts from it. We have not been able to find any exploded diagrams of the pump's parts, so tricky to find parts. You can also purchase used from various sources. An alternative and cheap route is to get the specs and then find an aftermarket pump for much cheaper.
Thank you sir for your response. Will remove one of the pumps and try it. Thx for the caution on small parts!
JR

Buttweet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You mean like this exploded picture?
You mean like this exploded picture?
Thanks for the picture Guyfang! Since my last post, I have removed 6 fuel pumps from 2 of my MEP003a gensets and successfully cleaned them. When connected to 24 volts, the primary pump from each genset would not operate, which obviously was the reason the gensets would not start. When I opened the aux pump from each genset they looked new and clean. So I made them the primary pumps. I no longer have the aux capability which I will never need. So each genset will now operate off just two pumps. One genset started right up and ran for at least 2 hours before I shut it down. Pumps on the second genset are now good, but it has valve adjustment problems which is preventing it from starting. Will tackle it tomorrow. Thank you again for the encouragement and picture. Happy Easter! JR

Paul Valentine

I have an Onan Generator, MEP 002A. Can you tell me how to time the fuel injection pump for removal and installation? and can the fuel injection pump be installed out of time, problem is it runs but overheats on one cylinder and does not run well. It acts like it is getting fuel too soon or too late on number 2 cylinder. Thank you

Guyfang

Staff member
This is not a IP timing problem. So I would tell you we need more info, and have you downloaded the TM's and maybe read them a bit? Is this gen set new to you? or have you ever seen it run right?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks