• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Anyone ever recover a BOH FPU?

Scottgeneral

If any of you SS have recovered one of these beasts, I am looking for any insight that has come from your experience and anything you may have learned and are willing to share.

Mine is in Pooler Ga, and I will be recovering soon. I have a good running m931a2, but It's May not be practical driving 450 miles one way. I could take my F250 diesel to get it but probably not safe. (I tow 14-15k pounds regularly, but have electric brakes). Ill price it on USHIP and see how the prices look.

I plan on putting my job site office (20' container) on this trailer.

Attachments

jasonjc

I'm sure the F250 will pull it just fine. But stopping with no brakes and no tongue weight. I would not want to do it.2cents

Capt Pat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Believe me, we've moved a load with the same issues though not the same item, and it will help you sleep better if you just have it hauled. All it takes is one screw-up to tangle with you enroute, your fault or not and you'll wish you were in the NASA manned Mars probe program. (we came close and the key word is NEVER AGAIN) and we didn't have near the distance to go, we moved it 35 miles.

Scottgeneral

If you figure in the danger, cost of time and fuel shipping is the way to go. I guess the hauler would need a trailer with a winch. I doubt GP would help load it.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What is a BOH FPU? Nevermind, google is my friend. What is the length and weight?

Last edited:

jasonjc

Per there web site it 14,000lbs 102"wide and has a MAX SAFE ROAD speed of 45mph.

Also says it has a standard 2" fifth wheel and king pin. Did not see if you can tow with a tractor thought.

It has full air brakes with a park, so you would need to cage them to tow with some thing with out air.

Last edited:

86m1028

I haven't towed a boh fpu but have towed an m989a1 with a 3/4 ton diesel for 8-10 miles.
I won't do it again !!!
I did end up having it shipped
(best money I ever spent).

Its not the weight its the fact it has no tounge weight.

Ever heard the term "tail wagging the dog" ?
Its not fun no matter who you are.

EDIT: I saw your post below, wise choice in having it shipped.

Last edited:

Scottgeneral

I realize the smartest and safest is to ship it, especially when you add the cost of fuel and time
; then factor in the danger and unknown factor.

Now to find a shipper

bigfishtoys

what tools does a person need to cage the brakes on a M989A1? Looking at it, is it a large allen wrench? doesn't look like the typical screw provided like on a semi trailer. Need to make sure i bring the correct tools when i go to pick it up.

Last edited:

EO2NMCB

what tools does a person need to cage the brakes on a M989A1? Looking at it, is it a large allen wrench? doesn't look like the typical provided screw like on a semi trailer.
Could a M998 Humvee pull the M989A1 with the brakes caged? Needs to go about 30 miles. Based on previous responses, guessing the answer is "wouldn't want to"
Well sure if you have a death wish. You really even have to think about wanting to pull 14,000 lbs with no brakes? Please don't do it.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
what tools does a person need to cage the brakes on a M989A1? Looking at it, is it a large allen wrench? doesn't look like the typical screw provided like on a semi trailer. Need to make sure i bring the correct tools when i go to pick it up.
You have to be kidding, it will not be a problem getting it moving, getting it STOPPED WILL be a problem, maybe stopping it slow will not be much of a problem BUT a HAVE TO STOP NOW WILL BE A BIG PROBLEM

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This is the only tool you need to do it safely .

Attachments

bigfishtoys

what tools does a person need to cage the brakes on a M989A1? Looking at it, is it a large allen wrench? doesn't look like the typical screw provided like on a semi trailer.
I'm not going to move the M989A1 trailer on any public road. So I'll re-word my question. What tool(s) is(are) required to cage the brakes on a M989A1? has anyone caged the brakes on these trailers? i'll need to move it in the yard with a farm tractor.

Scottgeneral

I think u need a 5/8 wrench. The bolt has a hook of sorts that grabs something inside. Tighten the nut down and it pulls up, what it is hooked to, releasing the brakes. Sorry for not knowing al the parts.

on another note, I towed the BOH last Saturday with my M931a2 with all brakes caged. The truck stops the trailer fine. Although, I am always cautious leaving adequate room between the vehicle in front of me.

bigfishtoys

I think u need a 5/8 wrench. The bolt has a hook of sorts that grabs something inside. Tighten the nut down and it pulls up, what it is hooked to, releasing the brakes. Sorry for not knowing al the parts.
you're correct for a semi trailer. but for the M989A1, there is no hole for a bolt to go into the chamber. Unless i'm missing something ridiculously obvious when i looked at the trailer last, on top of the M989A1 chamber is just a large allen wrench type socket. Guessing just turn that? Like it's a pre-existing bolt already in place so there's nothing to lose as a separate piece like on semi trailers. If true, then i would just need to know what size of allen wrench to use? it looks a lot larger then anything i have in my tool collection. allen wrench.jpg

86m1028

Same as any semi trailer or otr tractor, standard cage bolts.

bigfishtoys

Same as any semi trailer or otr tractor, standard cage bolts.
I don't think so. Here's a close up picture i found online to try to illustrate. there's no plug to remove to put a cage bolt into, and there's no cage bolt. There's just the large allen wrench style eye to turn where the plug should be. Chamber.jpg
persons have commented how they've caged the brakes on M989A1s, so would like to ask those persons, what tool did you use?

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't think so. Here's a close up picture i found online to try to illustrate. there's no plug to remove to put a cage bolt into, and there's no cage bolt. There's just the large allen wrench style eye to turn where the plug should be. View attachment 540950
persons have commented how they've caged the brakes on M989A1s, so would like to ask those persons, what tool did you use?
What does it say in the TM's ?

86m1028

When I pulled mine, I only had to cage the rear axle of the trailer.
The pic of the frt that you posted, doesn't need to be caged.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks