• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Anyone gone the Gear Vendor Overdrive route rather than a 4L80 swap ?

cruzinz28

I posted to this thread thinking that there might be some productive answers or opinions. I understand that in an open forum everyone is entitled to post their own opinion.

My intent was to follow this thread to gain advice on how to drop the RPM's on my truck to put less wear and tear on the motor and drive train not necessarily to sustain 70-75 MPH on the interstate like the original post inquired about. I did the same thing in my 52' Willys that came with 5:38 gears by installing the Warn Overdrive unit.

With that in mind can we get back on topic?

infidel got me

True, but you didn't read far enough into the post. The Humvees that have ( off road only stamped in red on paperwork) are only allowed to do speeds of 55. If speed reaches 56 mph a drone will evaporate that said vehicle. I had no such stamp on mine, so I will be at the salt flats this year trying for a new record!!!!!!!

911joeblow

Yes a HMMWV can go 70MPH and more safely if properly setup to do so. There is NOTHING specifically limiting a stock HMMWV to 55MPH either but that the military wanted it that way (max convoy speed). The RPM limit is still able to go much higher and the suspension etc. is also not a limiting factor. That all being said, the 37“ tires are hard to balance and don’t like to go fast. The suspension does not make it easy to align and the inboard damper and springs adds ratio and short throw which is more sensitive to oscillation and shake. They are also oversprung to accommodate weights which most don’t have in private hands. So if the truck is strait and we’ll alighned, tires well balanced, and not out of round, and of course you have an OD transmission, yes you can go fast.

JoeJrTheBarber

View attachment 716926View attachment 716927View attachment 716928 Putting this 700r4 in this week. Came with everything but fluid. No fab or driveshaft work. I'll keep you posted as to how it went!!!! Yes I'll take pics of the install....
Could you PM me with exactly where you picked up this setup from , and also a list of what it came with ?
Cause, if you got basically a complete "kit" for a 4 speed and everything to go along with it for under $4k i'm sold !

JoeJrTheBarber

70 on the highway with a vehicle sold for off road use only...
Yup !
My truck which has brand new tires, fresh alignment, and will cruise at 60-65mph comfortably. If I push it alittle harder the fastest I have seen (on my gps speedo app) has been 73mph but the truck def. wasn't happy.
If I could maintain 70-75 with the engine rpm's alittle lower and the truck itself "acting" like it does at 60mph I would be a happy camper. Hence this post and my question.

Last edited:

jkcondrey

Steel Soldiers Supporter
INFIDEL...Please pm me with details too. I may go that route after you've had time to run it through and see the pro's and con's.

papakb

In the long rum wouldn't it be easier and considerably cheaper to do a differentail swap for better road speeds? There are 2.56 and 2.73 differentials out there that would give you almost a 20% increase over the 3.08 diffs we find in most trucks. Am I off base here?

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In the long rum wouldn't it be easier and considerably cheaper to do a differentail swap for better road speeds? There are 2.56 and 2.73 differentials out there that would give you almost a 20% increase over the 3.08 diffs we find in most trucks. Am I off base here?
The 3.08 geared trucks came with the 4 speed already. The older 998's came with 3 speeds and 2.56 gears. Mine has a 3 speed and 2.56's. I can do 60MPH but the truck isn't impressed.

JoeJrTheBarber

I thought about doing a gear change AND a 4 speed to really excel on the tollway but as the above said I have 2.56 gears anyways so.
Waiting to hear on the success / outcome of the 700R4 swap and then I will prob pull the trigger and go that route..

infidel got me

I finished the install today. Everything went smooth- except for two things.... First was that the kit did not include a flywheel/flex plate- second it did not include the hardshell connector for the lock-up convertor. I called the company and he said that he would sell me a 40 dollar flywheel/flexplate and a 26 dollar switch.. I told him that was B.S. since my customer just spent 3400 on a kit that was to include everything but fluid. The only other problem was the dipstick tube had to be bent a little more to motor for doghouse to clear. Where the tv cable goes through the factory mt. it has to have two side made flat, was easily done with a dremil tool. It's a totally different truck now, no screaming engine, and much more capable of highway speeds. I will do this to mine, just not real happy in the sales dept. that claimed it was a turn key kit. No real fab work, overall not a bad job. Did cost me a extra day as having to order flexplate/flywheel and connector from napa. Customer is happy and on to the next one. PM me with questions if needed

WILL

infidel got me

She's real happy at 60-65. Like I stated before, I was looking for a traffic friendly speed-- not a Amish powered buggy. I still have lots of go pedal left if needed. The engines happy, my customer is happy, and I usually get happy around 6 pm!!!!! lol

EnteJager

This......

Sustained 70 or more.....other things will fall apart.
Trucks not made for it.
I like fast....but in auto's made for it.
The HMMWV was geared for the Army standard convoy speed of 40 MPH. That is why an original M988A1 is like glass at 40. Any faster and it just feels uncomfortable with all the gear noise and vibration.
70 MPH, no thanks.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks