• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Anyone gone the Gear Vendor Overdrive route rather than a 4L80 swap ?

sue

But I just put a fart can muffler and a towel
rack spoiler on mine. Plus I have type R stick
on badges and some really cool Japanese
letters to put on the windshield, it will look
cool with my ground effects and neon
undercarriage lights. And then you guys tell
me it’s unsafe to drive over 55, no way DUDE

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hello Sir. 2 years ago you did a 4 sp swap in a hmmwv. I have a m998 3sp 6.2 I am hoping you are willing to share said info. Thankyou.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
There are two choices... a 4L80e that requires a control box... RWH and 86humv can probably set you up with that, BUT you need different drive shafts and a 12 V source...

There is the 700R4 that I went with and so did Infidel... Mechanical so no voltage issues. Drive shafts stay the same BUT if you screw up the TV cable you will blow the tranny in like 1 mile.

I went with BowtieOverdrives in California. I went for a built 765R4 that was expensive. They have MUCH CHEAPER options available. (I might go with a blower and engine rebuild so I needed a tranny that could accept the abuse of 400WHP). You won't need that. I bet their kit costs you maybe $2500, inclusing flex plate and torque converter and odds and ends. You will need to buy a 4 speed shifter or radically modify your shifter. A new 4 speed HMMWV shifter is 600 clams minimum. BowtieOverdrives has sales support BUT, this is NOT turnkey and you will need to fab up some parts and set up the TV cable carefully.

I just installed and I'm still shaking out the system BUT I'm happy with the lower RPM at speed and the low first gearing that allows faster acceleration at the red lights and stop lights. Engine roar is lower and engine just sounds happier.

There is a guy in NC who is developing a transfer case with overdrive for $5K. Not on the market yet BUT seems like a great option. If it was available NOW I would have gone that route, but he says one more year before it is ready for the market.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks