• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Anyone Have This Setup: 33x10.5x15s on Black Rock 942 Wheels???

dao

So, I'm fixing to purchase a full set of wheels and tires and just wondering if anyone has this setup. These will be going on a 1984 M1009 that will probably get the Tuff Country 3" EZ Ride Lift with SX8000 shocks...but still need to research it some. Your feedback is always welcome.

- BFG 33x10.5x15 Mud-Terrains on...
- Black Rock 942 Wheels (Type D, Steel, Matte Black, 15 in. x 8.0 in., 6 x 5.50 in. Bolt Circle, 3.750 in. Backspace)

Attachments

Last edited:

Bighorn

So, I'm fixing to purchase a full set of wheels and tires and just wondering if anyone has this setup. These will be going on a 1984 M1009 that will probably get the Tuff Country 3" EZ Ride Lift with SX8000 shocks...but still need to research it some. Your feedback is always welcome.

I've got the 33 10.5 15 B.F. Goodrich Mud terrain KM2's on 15x 8 rims on my 1976 K5 (essentially an m1009) at stock height.
Had to trim the corners of the fenders about an inch to clear.
Barely scuffs the inner fender well at full stuff offroad.

Used them since last Fall.
Very good in the rocks, mud, and loose soil.
Ice and packed snow is tricky.
The aggressive pattern wants to tear the surface crust of the snow causing them to dig.
Found I had to lay way off the throttle to stay on top of snow without digging excessively.
Like almost idle.

They look great.
I have had the 12.5 version on previous rigs.
A lot of unnecessary weight in my opinion.
Not sure about your quoted backspace.
Mine i just ordered what they had without specifying backspace.
Be careful with that.

View attachment 699426
View attachment 699427
View attachment 699428View attachment 699429
View attachment 699430View attachment 699431
Proof of concept. We use the big diesel snowcat to pull this trailer on skis but.. my K5 pulled it first. Chevy Tough, anytime.
View attachment 699432

Here is my rusty 76 with that exact combo you are wanting.
Regarding the last picture.. you can still get stuck in October snow. Carry a shovel and a high lift jack. A winch is pretty useless in this circumstance.. no trees.

- BFG 33x10.5x15 Mud-Terrains on 15 x8 steel rims

This is the setup I use.

Last edited:

bgekky3

I tried to put 285/75/16s (33 inch) on an 8 inch wide wheel on my stock height M1008. They did not fit, and I did not want to cut the fenders. I put on a six inch lift and ran those tires for a bit. I have some 315s (35 inch) off my Dodge on it now, and will probably go with 37s in the future when the 315s wear out. My six inch lift raised the front around 8 inches. My old stock springs were a little worn out. If yours are in good shape you might make it, but if you off road at full lock the tires might hit the fenders. I can post a pic if you need it tomorrow. My truck is tall and is hard to get in and out of. I had to weld a chain step on the passenger side. I

dao

Bighorn, thanks for the reply. Nice pictures. I really like the shot of the front passenger side with green and blue sky in the background. Very nice! Where was that taken? Beautiful.

dao

bgekky3, thanks for the reply. Why the desire to go to 35's and then 37's? Since I'm going to do a 3-4" lift, I should be good for 33s or 35s. Any issues with yours?

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
bgekky3, thanks for the reply. Why the desire to go to 35's and then 37's? Since I'm going to do a 3-4" lift, I should be good for 33s or 35s. Any issues with yours?
Your axles won't live long with 35's. 33''s are about the limit without going to a heavier axle. Just FYI

Last edited:

dao

98G, thanks for the tip. I'll stick with the 33's as planned. I just want the added clearance, but don't want to go crazy with it...don't want to have to start sinking tons of money in it.

Bighorn

Bighorn, thanks for the reply. Nice pictures. I really like the shot of the front passenger side with green and blue sky in the background. Very nice! Where was that taken? Beautiful.
That was along the Wood river east of Meeteetse Wyoming.
It is beautiful.
Lots of game and Grizzly out that way.

Bighorn

Your axles won't live long with 35's. 33''s are about the limit without going to a heavier axle. Just FYI
He has an m1008, they came with Dana 60 front and 14 bolt rear with a detroit locker and 4.56 gears.
That combo is good for 37" tires easy.
Our m1009's with 10 bolts; 33" is pushing it.
Been there,done that.
Just go easy on them.
You can snap a 28 spline axle or shatter the gov loc carrier with 33's in low range.

joshuak

Here's mine. Stock suspension, 33x10.5x15, 15x8 Summit specials. Have had no rubbing, I have not gone full stuff and turned, but I don't see it being much if any.

IMG_1333.jpg

He has an m1008, they came with Dana 60 front and 14 bolt rear with a detroit locker and 4.56 gears.
That combo is good for 37" tires easy.
Our m1009's with 10 bolts; 33" is pushing it.
Been there,done that.
Just go easy on them.
You can snap a 28 spline axle or shatter the gov loc carrier with 33's in low range.
First post in the thread says he has an m1009. 98g is never wrong.

Bighorn

I tried to put 285/75/16s (33 inch) on an 8 inch wide wheel on my stock height M1008. They did not fit, and I did not want to cut the fenders. I put on a six inch lift and ran those tires for a bit. I have some 315s (35 inch) off my Dodge on it now, and will probably go with 37s in the future when the 315s wear out. My six inch lift raised the front around 8 inches. My old stock springs were a little worn out. If yours are in good shape you might make it, but if you off road at full lock the tires might hit the fenders. I can post a pic if you need it tomorrow. My truck is tall and is hard to get in and out of. I had to weld a chain step on the passenger side. I
The op has an M1009.
Bgekky3 has an m1008.
It is relevant because the op said Bekky3's axles wouldn't hold up to 37's.
The op did not notice that Bgekky3 actually has an m1008.

Seems clear to me.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
All CUCVs are not created equal. We have the OP who mentioned in the first post that his is an M1009. Same guy a few posts later starts considering 35's.

M1009 + 35's in real offroad environment = badness. Thought I'd call his attention to that.

Especially in the context of other posters mentioning their 37''s on their M1008s. It seemed reasonable to me the OP may not be fully versed on the differences in running gear...

Bighorn

Fair enough.
So let's educate him on why 33's or bigger are a bad idea with 10 bolt axles.
Let me relate a story;

I had put 33's on my 1984 K5 blazer with a 350 and open 10 bolt axles front and rear.
The stock 3.08 ratio meant much less power off the line, less compression braking down hills off road, and less effective brakes in general.
They looked great.
They certainly rolled over bumps better than 31's.
I began to wheel more aggressively as a result.
Added a pair of lunch box lockers to the 10 bolt axles.
One evening while climbing the waterfall ramp at Hollister Hills SVRA, as I had done many times before, there came a loud "bang" from the rearend.
My buddy Owen said; "I think you broke an axle dude."
"No way, it still wants to climb and besides.." I looked at the passenger mirror and saw the most horrific sight.
My passenger axle shaft was two feet out of the housing with the wheel and brake drum still attached with the weight of the truck bending the axle into an inverted banana shape :naner:and 75w 90 weight oil pouring out.
"Yes, I do believe you are right Owen, Thanks."
Thus began a 24 hour journey to lay hands on a replacement axleshaft.
By 3AM the next morning I had completed the removal and reassembly of my rear differential to get the bits of broken axle out of the carrier and the new axle back into the housing on a 45 degree slope with an audience of drunken 4 wheel drive enthusiasts jeering.. cheering me on.
One fellow making the ever so helpful remark; "Dud, your getting dust on your gears."
"Yea, thanks dude.. really worried about that right now."

I drove it home and immediately sourced a used 12 bolt axle from a truck that had 3.73's.
Swapped the front 10 bolt to match 3.73.
And replaced the stock 12 bolt axle shafts with upgrade shafts.

It wasn't the end of the world.
But it wasn't a pleasant experience either.

By the way; you can do things like swap a 1988 and up 10 bolt 30 spline carrier and 30 spline axles into your pre 1988 28 spline 10 bolt.
But when you do the math you quickly end up very near having Boyce of someone else just build you a 14 bolt and reweld the perches to match your m1009.

I am stuck in that train of thought right now myself.
What do I really want to do with my m1009?
Would I trust myself not to try and wheel it hard later on, on a whim even, and would I end up breaking a gov loc carrier or another axles shaft?
I do a lot of vehicle recoveries up here on the mountain too.
Having a fully locked and dependable setup is mandatory for some tasks.

On the other hand; if all I am going to do is drive up and down to town and not take John Blue road and the remains of the army core of engineers road up Little Mountain, then i can live with the 10 bolts and 31's

Anyhow, maybe you'll be just fine with the 33's on your rig.
Personally it is mostly the rear 10 bolt we are talking about.
The front 10 bolt is nearly identical in strength to a Dana 44 which ain't too bad.
But breaking a front axle joint means you can most likely still get home under your own power.
Breaking a 28 spline 10 bolt rear axle shaft or the carrier and you are fixing it on the spot or towing it home.

The urge will come to mash the gas in the mud, or over those rocks, or off that bump.
Just remember what you have there and it's limitations.

Last edited:

dao

You are correct. I am brand new to the M1009. I do understand some of the differences between the M1009 and M1008...gearing...axles...etc., but now knowing that going up to 35s would pose a problem, I will stick with 33's. I appreciate the added info.

Ilikemtb999

I have those tuff country shocks and honestly they leave a lot to be desired other than being made in the USA. I'd spend the extra coin on a set of bilsteins

Ilikemtb999

I do not, I only have a 2" lift. Bilsteins website has all their shocks with heights listed though. Offroad designs also sells them and suggests what length with certain lifts.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks