• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Anyone know what this is/was?

neverfinished

I took this poor quality polaroid pic in probably about 1980 in Salem,OR. They had cleared out an old defunct wrecking yard to make room for a street widening and this was the last thing left there when I went by. I wish I'd taken more pics! I remember seeing the data plates for the half track-White, I think. It looked like some sort of training device for a tank turret. It had some controls on a panel-on the drivers side I think. Rumor was that it AND 2 OTHER HALF TRACKS from there ended up in Montana. but I also heard that they went to Hollywood. I just found this old pic and wondered if anybody could shed any light on it.

Attachments

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
It looks like it was a mock-up/design study for a M108 SP howitzer turret , or at least the tube maybe.

Attachments

emr

A trainer turret stacked on a half track at some point in history in a scrap yard, oh wait aren't the zombies from around there ? could be more to it, :)

Wolf.Dose

OK, the vehicle is a half truck, M3 probably. The turret is a M47 turret for training / introduction purposes. At least according to the Shielding, the smoke dispenser and the muzzle breake.
It can NOT be a M108, at least the shielding is wrong for that as well as the configuration of the turret structure.
Wolf