• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Anyone near Baxter, TN want to look at a deuce?

ToddJK

Thanks! I'll take a look. Perhaps I'll reach out to him and tell him what I'm looking for and if he finds it to call me.
When I talked to him, he seemed like a decent guy and honest about what to expect. I'm sure if you were willing to diy or pay extra, he could probably swap parts from one truck to the other to get what you're asking. Otherwise, if you find one that needs replacement parts, he may be a local resource for you to work with.

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It was Vintage military trucks. Lot of the trucks look rough, but if it's not far from you, might be able to get in there and take a gander, maybe even do some wheelin' and dealin' to get what you want for a good price, idk, maybe not.
John Colwell is the owner and I know him. His inventory is GSA retired brush trucks so know what you're getting into.

kenn

Makes sense why lots of them look rough.
Thanks, gentlemen. So I have found a very possible candidate in SC. So far quote to ship is about 3200. I'm not going to do that so I'll need to figure out another plan. I didn't see anything on vintage that gave me a warm fuzzy.

ToddJK

Kenn, what exactly are you looking for? A2? A3? Other possibilities? Distance? Just asking, if I see anything in particular, I'll snap a photo or share it to ya. I'm in the MI area so if you're in TX, that's quite the haul, so not sure if I see anything local if that would be worth it to ya or not. I'm also a part of a lot of MV FB groups, so if something pops up, I can give you a heads up.

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter

You can put your shipping toward a better truck. ;)

kenn

I've decided the best thing for me to look for is a bone stock deuce without a winch (I don't like that big honkin' bumper and mechanical assembly hanging off the front) that was clearly well taken care of and then I can add the modifications as I go. I found one in the Augusta area for $8K that was bought from an auction and sat in a barn for some 14ish or so years before finally being pulled out and restored to service. It has remarkably little rust and very little to attend to as it is currently being driven on a semi-regular basis. I feel like the price is more than reasonable but my first quotes for transit have been over $3K to move it 1100 miles. I could fly in and drive it home for less and it does seem to be in good enough shape to do so but I have a special needs child at home that my wife can't handle so a 2-3 day excursion isn't really something I can pull off at the last minute. Driving it home would cost me about 800 in fuel assuming 8mpg plus at least one night in a hotel. That and a plane ticket out there is another $300.00. The biggest challenge at this point in time is simply >$5/gal diesel making the fuel side ridiculously expensive. I also posted up on uship hoping that someone might come in a bit cheaper. We'll see if I get anything better soon enough.

HDN

I've decided the best thing for me to look for is a bone stock deuce without a winch (I don't like that big honkin' bumper and mechanical assembly hanging off the front) that was clearly well taken care of and then I can add the modifications as I go. I found one in the Augusta area for $8K that was bought from an auction and sat in a barn for some 14ish or so years before finally being pulled out and restored to service. It has remarkably little rust and very little to attend to as it is currently being driven on a semi-regular basis. I feel like the price is more than reasonable but my first quotes for transit have been over $3K to move it 1100 miles. I could fly in and drive it home for less and it does seem to be in good enough shape to do so but I have a special needs child at home that my wife can't handle so a 2-3 day excursion isn't really something I can pull off at the last minute. Driving it home would cost me about 800 in fuel assuming 8mpg plus at least one night in a hotel. That and a plane ticket out there is another $300.00. The biggest challenge at this point in time is simply >$5/gal diesel making the fuel side ridiculously expensive. I also posted up on uship hoping that someone might come in a bit cheaper. We'll see if I get anything better soon enough.
I know the feeling! I have little kids at home too, which makes traditional truck recoveries non-starters!

I suggest looking into @unitedstatesoffreight . They moved a 1-ton van for me recently, but they've moved bigger stuff for other members here too. I negotiated a price with them and they moved it no problem.

When I used uShip I was super-annoyed with the quotes I was getting, especially ones from the same company that were all over the board! They'd send me a quote, then a HIGHER quote, then the same quote again! That didn't give me much confidence in that platform with that quality of people running shipping companies on there.

kenn

It will likely cost $1.00/mile to move a deuce at today's fuel prices. Wait a week and it will be more.
If you know someone that will move it for $1 a mile, please send it to my way! If you mean drive it, maybe so, but I've talked to several people and they tell me to expect no less than $3 a mile. I still haven't gotten the gentleman to go look at if for me locally to check for showstoppers so I'm still pushing on that. I deleted my uship listing as I kept getting questions that were fishing for for sucker answers so they could rip me off. I got quoted 3200, 4900, 5600, and some bonehead quoted $22,000!

ToddJK

If you know someone that will move it for $1 a mile, please send it to my way! If you mean drive it, maybe so, but I've talked to several people and they tell me to expect no less than $3 a mile. I still haven't gotten the gentleman to go look at if for me locally to check for showstoppers so I'm still pushing on that. I deleted my uship listing as I kept getting questions that were fishing for for sucker answers so they could rip me off. I got quoted 3200, 4900, 5600, and some bonehead quoted $22,000!
How many miles was that quoted for?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks