• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Anyone swap out their steering wheel?

Pointman0853

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am nearly finished with my steering wheel upgrade. We are going with a Forever Sharp 18". I used a stock hub removed from a BTS stock steering wheel. The new adapter is being machined to mate up to the new steering wheel. I'll post up some pics when done.

Pointman

coachgeo

Ive been trying to find that thread and cant seem to locate it. You or anyone else know what the thread was titled or have a link to it.
You've done the smartest thing and contacted FMTV Truck sales. Am sure he will get back with you. I did search for thread myself but have not yet come across it. Found one with a little info but I think there may be another.

Think I found it... but you won't like what it says

https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showt...ng-for-Input&p=2095147&viewfull=1#post2095147

Last edited:

redman333

You've done the smartest thing and contacted FMTV Truck sales. Am sure he will get back with you. I did search for thread myself but have not yet come across it. Found one with a little info but I think there may be another.

Think I found it... but you won't like what it says

https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showt...ng-for-Input&p=2095147&viewfull=1#post2095147
Awesome thank you! That's exactly what I was looking for. I really like this idea. It'd be nice if it would be able to read and clear faults as well. Since those ands are generic. You'd have to save the fault info on it somehow but would be nice if you could.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

scottmandu

Don't forget swapping out an 18 inch steering wheel in lieu of a 20 inch steering wheel will increase steering effort by 10%.

wandering neurons

Even a 10% increase in effort still puts it well below what an M35 driver has to deal with. The original definition or “Armstrong Steering”. I remember well the agony of driving my old truck. The LMTV is so much better.

SteelPeak

We could look into fitting our custom hub into another upgraded wheel...what upgrade are you after?...smaller diameter, soft-touch feel, etc...?
I was recently told you guys aren't working on trucks you didn't originally sell. Is this true? I have a whole list of mods and was going to plan a trip North, but don't want to get all the way up there just to be turned around.

Niuhi

I'm definitely on board with the upgrade to the steering wheel and would also be interested in the dash. I know many on here are for retaining original parts or upgrading, but my goal is to make the cab more refined and less militaristic. The other half would definitely appreciate it as the main "eventual" goal is to make this into an overland RV.

scottmandu

I was recently told you guys aren't working on trucks you didn't originally sell. Is this true? I have a whole list of mods and was going to plan a trip North, but don't want to get all the way up there just to be turned around.
If you are ever in Texas I can help you out.

Pointman0853

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I should have my adapter back from the machine shop this week and can share a photo. I'll be using a Forever Sharp 18" steering wheel with a soft feel rim.
Anything will feel better that this 'bus' model that comes stock. Yes, I am in the camp with a spouse that wants less 'tank' and more camper..LOL!

Pointman

New stering wheel 04152018.jpg

Pointman0853

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So here is what the hub looks like stripped of the steering wheel.. My machinist friend is adding more material to bring the diameter out to match the new 18" steering wheel mounting bolt holes.
Will have it back hopefully tomorrow..:naner:

Pointman

Steering Wheel hub 2.jpg

coachgeo

Interesting. Looks like if one shaved the bottom same thickness as an adapter plate made to fit the top you would be good to go. Just mount adapter using the 3 threaded holes and either like some wheel spacers; have new holes machined into adapter for steering wheel .... or just use longer bolts that go both thru steering wheel and adapter. One would NOT have to shave the bottom some but doing so would keep from raising the steer wheel higher due to adapter thickness.

BuiltMFG

I've been looking at steering wheels for a while and haven't had a lot of luck. Pointman, will the new machined part work with the blinkers?
I know there was a thread somewhere that told how to set up the original steering wheel to have terminating blinkers.

Pointman0853

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am dropping my steering about 1", but hesitate going any lower due to interference with the blinker lever. Sup[posed to have it back before this Friday, so we will see...

Pointman

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks