• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Anyone swap out their steering wheel?

Pointman0853

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't recall seeing a cut out or cam cut into the bottom of the hub. I will look when I get my old steering wheel off and report back.
One could adapt a timer to the current setup, but I kinda like the basic mechanical nature of the thing.

Pointman

Pointman0853

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would imagine with raising the seats a higher steering wheel would be good for your back.

I have a brief meeting with my fabricator. He will be giving me the rough 'draft' of the parts in the next week or so.

Once finalized he will be making 10 complete adapters which will be for sale. Please be patient as he fits this project in with his other business interests.

Pointman

Ohiobenz

Supporting Vendor

Third From Texas

Yep, that is the wheel they've shown before.

And the old "we can't sell you one" always leads to "oh yeah, well here's how they make 'em".

Once you look at your hub and their wheel there really isn't much left to the imagination.

Sort of like the "custom seats and dash". I mean, come on...my neighbor's 5 yo can fiberglass some fleece that looks more "custom" than slapping some black paint on stock sheet metal and then bolt in a 3rd-party dash panel.

Not saying that their stuff isn't worth the asking price. Just saying that once companies like this stop paying top-dollar for trucks they will fall back into the means of the average person.

Good god I can't wait until the rest of the LMTV/FMT stock floods the market in a couple years.

Last edited:

Ohiobenz

Supporting Vendor
Yep, that is the wheel they've shown before.

And the old "we can't sell you one" always leads to "oh yeah, well here's how they make 'em".

Once you look at your hub and their wheel there really isn't much left to the imagination.

Sort of like the "custom seats and dash". I mean, come on...my neighbor's 5 yo can fiberglass some fleece that looks more "custom" than slapping some black paint on stock sheet metal and then bolt in a 3rd-party dash panel.

Not saying that their stuff isn't worth the asking price. Just saying that once companies like this stop paying top-dollar for trucks they will fall back into the means of the average person.

Good god I can't wait until the rest of the LMTV/FMT stock floods the market in a couple years.
So my answer to all that is for average guys who find these upgrades to post them like I did... Instead of marketing and promoting these "custom" items to our pages with links to said 3rd party in exchange for??? A discount the rest of us won't get????

aleigh

To be honest it's never occurred to me to change the stock steering wheel. it works fine, even when wheeling. I mean. It's a wheel. You turn it. I have been thinking about 3D printing up a new batch of emblems for guys that are missing theirs though. I've got mine, luckily, but it hurts my soul when i see them missing.

dronsen

So my answer to all that is for average guys who find these upgrades to post them like I did... Instead of marketing and promoting these "custom" items to our pages with links to said 3rd party in exchange for??? A discount the rest of us won't get????
Ohiobenz...what are you referring to? who is marketing what that we can't get?? thanks

Pointman0853

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Progress!
After meeting with my new local fabricator, my adapter project is finally moving forward. I expect it back in two weeks and then we can mount up my 18" Forever Sharp steering wheel shown in previous posts.

I also found this on Pintrest in regards to spline sizing on steering shafts. If anyone has an old wheel or exposed shaft, and can take these measurements, Forever Sharp may be able to tell us which of their adapters may fit..

Spline sizing.jpg

Here is the hub after being returned from the first fabricator.

Hub1.jpgIMG_4004.jpg

After machining off the spokes, he welded a steel ring to the remaining steel bits. Our new fabricator plans to create a piece about 3" high to press over this and weld on. The 5 6x1.0 mm bolts
for the new wheel and finisher will screw into this. 3" added to this will give the correct height and with the wheel mounted, I will still have enough clearance down to the turn signal.

Seriously though. If we can determine the spline size, then the adapter will be a piece of cake. Yes, these are old according to our friends at Acela, but we know it is common with something!
Pointman

wandering neurons

I have an old LMTV steering wheel that I've stripped down to just the hub. I've already cut the spokes and rubber off of it. I'll take a look shortly and get some measurements and counts. Maybe someone can do the cross-reference to find out just what our steering shaft is based off of.

BuiltMFG

Pointman, I actually reached out to the same folks with the number of splines and rough measurements and they suggested the A01 adapter.

wandering neurons

From my chopped-down hub:
Back-side (closer to column) diameter: 25mm
Total hub depth: 35mm
Depth of splines: 18mm
Outside diameter of splines (measured between notches): 24.5mm
Spline count: 36
And pics:
Side facing driver:
image1 (1).jpg
Side facing floor:
image3.jpg

Andyrv6av8r

Steel Soldiers Supporter
After reading this thread, it motivated me to swap out mine since I've never liked the original. It was a bit of work locating material to modify my hub but it turned out great.

After trimming down the hub:
20190129_180107.jpg

I cleaned it up in the lathe:
20190131_193923.jpg

Then I found a 2.5 x 1.25 NPT reducer bushing to modify
20190129_180121.jpg

I then pressed and pinned the 2 pieces together
20190131_194209.jpg

I then welded a .25 plate on top to tap for the steering wheel bolts

20190202_141619.jpg 20190202_141609.jpg

Finished product!

20190203_122928.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks