• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

anyone swaped a m35a2 d type turbo to a c type

ToddJK

This should answer your question

Barrman

Easy swap as already written. Just be aware hearing protection is really, really, really needed with the C turbo. Everyone within a mile or more of you will know where you are and what you are doing as well.

I love my Whistler but wanted to make sure you are aware of the side effects.

msgjd

Steel Soldiers Supporter
...Just be aware hearing protection is really, really, really needed with the C turbo...
Back in the 70's and into the 80's, none of the trucks in units I was with had the "hearing protection required" decal and nobody ever talked about hearing protection,,,, except when at a rifle range.. I hear the VA gladly provides free hearing aids for our loss and that is it .. We have one whistler truck remaining, and it has ear plugs in it .. They were cool way back when, but didn't take many continuous hours to find them very annoying, almost painful. To each their own

Everyone within a mile or more of you will know where you are and what you are doing as well..
Way back when we had to be tactical all the time in the field or occasionally play the mickey-mouse"stand-to" game at 0200hrs for the BN commander etc to ensure the "enemy" couldn't count how many trucks or tanks we had or what the vehicles were, there was of course the whistler.. Anybody would immediately know there were deuces in the bunch, and as Barrman said, you always knew a whistler deuce was coming long before you knew what else may be coming along :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Barrman

Sermis, Kwai and I arrived at the 2007 Georgia Rally early. It was held in a state park on top of a mountain. We were looking around thinking we had the wrong spot until we heard a whistle in the far distance. Very faint at first but we knew what it was and just settled in to wait. About 10 minutes later Kenny came into view with his Whistler tractor pulling a M103. We could hear every shift of his climb.

msgjd

Steel Soldiers Supporter
We could hear every shift of his climb.
BTW, checked out your page, neat stuff, never seen the paint can groove hole idea before, great ! .. As for paint cans, if using the whole gallon we have used a flat screwdriver to punch holes like dad would a beer can in the 60's .. Easy pour, no mess.. Clean the lid and apply masking tape over the holes until next time .. As long as we used up the paint within a month, we had no problem with paint skinning over

Barrman

Thank you. I won't steal your idea for a video.

Since I turned this into a whistler turbo story time thread I might as well tell another.

Pistolnut bought a Whistler truck near Boerne, TX in 2005. I helped him get it road worthy enough to drive the 130 miles to his house. It ran good, but never whistled. Anyway, I am following in his F-150 as he drives for him. He was going really slow but what do you expect from a sitting for years surplus truck? Anyway, about 10 miles into the run I start to hear a growl through the closed windows of the truck. It was kind of intermittent, but it was there in the background. I noticed the noise coincided with black smoke from the until then clean exhaust stack of the M35A2. Then in one instant it went from a growl to a full blown whistle, block smoke poured out of the stack and he seemed to leap 15 mph faster.

The C model turbo was seized we later figured out and was blocking intake and exhaust air. Once it got hot enough it fixed itself and away we went. I wanted my own Whistler from that moment on.

msgjd

Steel Soldiers Supporter
....Then in one instant it went from a growl to a full blown whistle, black smoke poured out of the stack and he seemed to leap 15 mph faster.
I knew the ending to your story was going to be 50-50, good or bad .. Seen similar situation with a commercial 855 cummins, except it had a huge mouse nest in the turbo !!! Talk about stink, and talk about shredded "whatever it was" blowing out the stack when it finally burned enough of it to let the tangled wads go ....
I sure was whistling a "wow" when it happened :whistle: .. When the truck made it out to the highway, its "whistling" turbo left a trail of stink a few miles long :ROFLMAO: .. Very little smells worse than burning mouse pi**

Last edited:

Barrman

Now I have to do another story. I ran waste motor oil, hydraulic fluid, transmission fluid, etc.... Basically, anything but diesel in my truck for years. It grew to have a pretty dark cloud hovering over it sometimes. The odd mixture of fuel also had its own special aroma when burned too. I live 2 miles from a traffic signal and was stopped at the light going home one day in the Whistler. When I got home my wife called to say "I can smell your truck, where are you?" I had been gone at least 5 minutes but no wind that day and the smell hung around. She had the windows up too.

msgjd

Steel Soldiers Supporter
my wife called to say "I can smell your truck, where are you?"
I have burned WVO (veggie) for many years now in farm tractors, heavy comm trucks, mil trucks, MEP's, heavy equip, F350 fummins dually, diesel cars, and furnaces. Have also used it as a lubricity additive in pre-1960 gas engines. It too has a special aroma, of deep-fried chicken or fish depending on what they cooked most in the batch .. There is no worse suffering while stuck on a tractor all day without lunch :-( , it's pure stomach abuse ! .. oops I almost forgot to mention whistler turbo in this thread

Last edited:

ToddJK

M813RC was gracious enough many years ago to provide some used frying oil for my whistler deuce. It smelled like french fries going down the road. Which is a much more pleasant smell than used motor oil....

Scott
I agree, smells like a mobile deep fryer. I always loved that smell too, made me hungry sometimes as well! Lol

Elijah95

Certified Rookie
Be forewarned, a Whistler C will create higher drive pressure than a D turbo. Drive pressure is the evil aspect of boost, and boost does not blow head gaskets its drive pressure that does. So, cooler sound, at the cost of slightly reduced head gasket life in our trucks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ToddJK

I've always had the D turbo. A buddy of mine had the C in his. Honestly, the C turbo was more ear piercing on longer drives, not so bad with ear plugs. However, the sound of the straight pipe exhaust is what I found to get people to look anyways. The loud rumble is different than any rig or any motorcycle.

rustystud

Be forewarned, a Whistler C will create higher drive pressure than a D turbo. Drive pressure is the evil aspect of boost, and boost does not blow head gaskets its drive pressure that does. So, cooler sound, at the cost of slightly reduced head gasket life in our trucks

The "C" turbo and "D" turbo have almost identical specs. They are both "low" pressure turbos barely making 8-15 PSI. They were only used to help meet the EPA emissions standards. The original "Non" turbo Multifuels could really "roll coal" . The turbos helped clean them up a bit.
Now to really start making power you a turbo that can give you 25 to 35 PSI boost minimum .

Last edited:

Gypsyman

Excessive boost absolutely does cause head gasket failures. I have no hard data on the drive pressure of these turbos but drive pressure isn't the leading cause of gasket failures. Excessive peak cylinder pressure and advanced timing are.

Take the Cummins 5.9 for example. Large turbos or properly built twin turbos have lower drive pressure than a small single. They can hit the magical 1/1 ratio or even lower. But when the boost is turned up beyond a certain level a head gasket failure is imminent. If drive pressure caused head gasket failure then the exhaust brakes used on these trucks would blow gasket left and right. It is just a "potato in the tailpipe" after all. A decent exhaust brake can hit 60 psi of back pressure which is as high or higher than 99% of the properly sized turbos out there.

The Cummins 6.7 is a perfect example of this. It had a poor design and anything about the 35-40 psi range was begging to lose a gasket regardless of the turbo used. ARP 625 studs helped but were still no guarantee. They had the horrible VGT turbo on them from the factory which only had a 2.44" turbine outlet. Super high drive pressure across the board (well above 1/1) but the gaskets hold hundreds of thousands of miles as long as the boost wasn't turned up. Even after swapping to a super low drive pressure lag pig of a turbo you could ruin a head gasket in one run if the boost passed 40 PSI for any length of time.

A low drive pressure/high boost truck can and will pop head gaskets without proper head studs and mild timing. Low drive pressure does make for a cooler running more efficient engine though.

rustystud

What he said 👆 .

Also remember the MultiFuel is running 22:1 compression. That in itself is enough to blow head gaskets that are not properly held down.
The compression range of a normal Diesel engine is between 14:1 to 22:1 . That means the MultiFuel engine is at the max limit of compression for a "standard" Diesel engine.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks