• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Changing D to a C TURBO

CDR

So here it goes I picked up my first M35a2 yesterday and was told it was a 1971 whistler with a winch and a hard top in mint shape.
Like always after driving 4 hours I find out it has brakes that barely work motor runs rough horn doesn't work door handles busted and its a turbo D.
Oh well bought it anyway for $4700 and drive it 300 miles home with almost no brakes. So to say the least I have my work cut out for my self.
My biggest disappointment is no "C" turbo. To me the most iconic sound is the whistler coming down the road.

I heard both turbos are direct replacements. Is this true? Does anyone have a good source to buy a "C" turbo?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
They are completely interchangeable.

Flyingvan911

I know a number of people on the site have said they prefer a D to a C due to not liking the shrill scream. I bet you could find someone who is willing to trade.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would suggest the parts wanted section of the classifieds.

brianp454

Welcome aboard!

I think the 1st thing anyone should do with these trucks is fix the brakes and replace the seals. If you search there's an excellent StepXStep thread and peashooter has one on brake lines, etc. with lots of great info. My brakes a much better after having done so. Also, if you run a vent line to all diffs, tranny, and xfer case it will help keep pressure from building and popping the axle seals (leaking gear oil onto your brakes).

I get most of my surplus parts from Erik's. He's reasonable on prices and ships right away.

If you ever install a muffler it will supress almost all of the turbo whistle anyway.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I like my C turbo so much on my Deuce I drive my M813 instead of it.

;-)

CDR

Welcome aboard!

I think the 1st thing anyone should do with these trucks is fix the brakes and replace the seals. If you search there's an excellent StepXStep thread and peashooter has one on brake lines, etc. with lots of great info. My brakes a much better after having done so. Also, if you run a vent line to all diffs, tranny, and xfer case it will help keep pressure from building and popping the axle seals (leaking gear oil onto your brakes).

I get most of my surplus parts from Erik's. He's reasonable on prices and ships right away.

If you ever install a muffler it will supress almost all of the turbo whistle anyway.
Thanks for the welcoming! I'm reading all up on how to do the brakes I haven't found a really detailed step my step yet. I looked under the truck and I don't see any rims wet with brake fluid. So I guess the first step is to bleed them

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Keep the D for when you get tired of the C (it will happen eventually).
I wouldn't bet money on this. I've had or put "C" turbos on every multifuel deuce I've owned except one. 20 years and Lord only knows how many tens of thousands of miles and never once got tired of it. As to the one that didn't get the "C"? It was the deuce crane and I didn't want to irritate the neighbors.

Rmtaunton

If your pedal is low but tight , you need to adjust brakes , it's actually much easier than you think , except for pulling tires

JasonS

I wouldn't bet money on this. I've had or put "C" turbos on every multifuel deuce I've owned except one. 20 years and Lord only knows how many tens of thousands of miles and never once got tired of it. As to the one that didn't get the "C"? It was the deuce crane and I didn't want to irritate the neighbors.
There is some novelty to the whistle but it got old pretty fast. No offense, but how is your hearing? After 20 years, maybe you can't hear it. Either way, I'd keep the D. This way you have the ability to swap back if you want.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks