• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Changing D to a C TURBO

CDR

Thank you everybody for all the help this is what makes owning a deuce and a half so much fun!!

I've been reading the TMs and like a few people said I'm pretty sure my brakes are just out of adjustment. Brakes work fairly well after pumping the pedal. Till a few seconds later when the pedal drops the floor again. Unfortunately this morning it was 6° here on Long Island New York. Need to wait for to warm up to work on it. In the meantime I keep reading the TMs and all of you guys super informative posts.

I'm still on the hunt for C-turbo I don't care what's some of you guys say it sounds amazing and I must have it on my deuce and a half. Seen a few on eBay for way too much money and beat up looking for 400 bucks. What do you guys think is a fair price?

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thank you everybody for all the help this is what makes owning a deuce and a half so much fun!!

I've been reading the TMs and like a few people said I'm pretty sure my brakes are just out of adjustment. Brakes work fairly well after pumping the pedal. Till a few seconds later when the pedal drops the floor again. Unfortunately this morning it was 6° here on Long Island New York. Need to wait for to warm up to work on it. In the meantime I keep reading the TMs and all of you guys super informative posts.

I'm still on the hunt for C-turbo I don't care what's some of you guys say it sounds amazing and I must have it on my deuce and a half. Seen a few on eBay for way too much money and beat up looking for 400 bucks. What do you guys think is a fair price?
$400 is half of what some of the dealers want for a used C turbo.

Jeepsinker

If it isn't burning oil and doesn't have a lot of shaft play $400 is fair. If you can find one that needs a rebuild for $150-$200, a rebuild will cost you about $300. So for $450-$500 you could have basically a new turbo.

peashooter

Thanks for the welcoming! I'm reading all up on how to do the brakes I haven't found a really detailed step my step yet. I looked under the truck and I don't see any rims wet with brake fluid. So I guess the first step is to bleed them
HERE IS A THREAD with lots of brake info (parts, tools, sources, schematics, etc).... but no troubleshooting info.

brianp454

I've found that it helps to go through the full adjustment procedure the 1st time to get a feel for how it's supposed to be done. After that, I abbreviate the process and only adjust the top eccentrics. I jack the entire axle up so that both tires are off the ground a tad; this allows both wheels to turn. Then I spin the wheel and turn the nut (away from the axle if memory serves) until it just touches and then back off a tad. I do it a few times to show that I get the same adjust more than once and belive it's corrrect.

sandcobra164

I sent my good take off D up the road in exchange for a C Turbo. Best modification I could have done to the truck. I'll add that the muffler I added does drown out the bark but the whistle is still there and sounding fantastic!!! Yes, I do take long trips with it. 180 miles each way when it's GA Rally time and I've done many recoveries with it from a local base. Sometimes it's heavy hauling for a Deuce and it manages that fine as well. I've read that the D turbo would be the ideal candidate for the most power due to possibly flowing more air. I honestly didn't notice a difference on the top side of 2,000 rpm but around 1,600 rpm the C actually feels like it comes to life sooner. Either that or the sound of it spooling up makes me feel like it's making a difference. I don't have timeslips at the track before and after to post actual data but I do love the sound!!!

Jeepsinker

My C turbo has served me well on quite a few long road trips and some heavy load moving, and some long distance heavy load moving. I can tell that it doesn't let me pull a grade like my D turbo did though. My C is starting to burn oil out the exhaust side seal now though...

sandcobra164

My C is tight bearing wise. It's a good audible sound to let you know when you're in the throttle or coasting which comes in handy when going through hills. Since I don't have a pyro yet, I charge towards the bottom and taper the throttle towards the top when I running through those!! The C helps with that as it always lets you know when it's pulling!!! I have a new unused D Turbo for when mine starts to leak oil on either side but I'll hate the day I have to put it on. The first Deuce I ever drove had a C and I love the sound!!!

Jeepsinker

Mine had a little slack when I installed it, but not much. I'm about to put my old D back on. I pull too much heavy stuff here lately and I remember the difference going from the D to the C. No big deal to swap it out when I fell that I want the whistle back, but I need to get it rebuilt first. I though I had a cylinder burning oil but I'm glad it is just the turbo.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
A D's map is slightly better than a C's. At the same fueling I saw a 2psi increase. What that translates to performance, I have no idea. I'm guessing 5hp at most. I'm one of the noise haters as well. Although if I ever buy another deuce, it might end up with a C turbo for parade duty.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Well I don't have scientific data. But my deuce would peak at 10psi with the C turbo. I didn't touch the fuel screw at all, just swapped the turbo and I now see 12-13psi peak. That's at WOT at governed speed.

Jeepsinker

Mine will get up to 12 psi pulling a grade right now with the LDT. Will do the same pulling something heavy. I just have to be mindful to keep it around 10psi on longer grades with throttle control.

skinnyR1

I have a good C turbo take off sitting in a box. I bought it thinking that I was going to install it, but the truck makes so much noise as is, I second guess putting it on. And I do have a muffler installed. Why inflict more torture when long trips wear on you enough with the existing noise? Wearing hearing protection for hours on end and listening to the drone of these trucks wears on you.

I also just had a new crate LDT put into my truck. I bypassed the FDC and it is running 15 psi right out of the box with the D turbo, and pulls much much harder through the entire RPM range than my last motor. It isn't likely I'll pull a new turbo to put on the whistler, but you never know, I might get the itch.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks