• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Changing D to a C TURBO

CDR

Here is my brake symptoms if I am driving the pedal Will fall to the floor if I continually pump at the pedal it will get hard and it's proper spot and works perfect seconds later after driving if I hit the brakes again it will be back on the floor.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There is some novelty to the whistle but it got old pretty fast. No offense, but how is your hearing? After 20 years, maybe you can't hear it. Either way, I'd keep the D. This way you have the ability to swap back if you want.
Hearing is about the same. Not really much decibel difference, more of a frequency issue. Anything longer than a trip to the grocery got hearing protection. I know plenty of folks that don't care for the "C" and likewise the "D, too. All I was pointing out was that there are quite a few folks (including me) that enjoy the whistler and don't tire of the sound.

rtk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You need to download all the TM,'s on your Deuce from this site , it will help you diagnosis your brake problem . You need to do a complete service , PM , to your MV before you really start driving it . Bear in mind you have a single circuit master cylinder system trying to stop a seven ton truck , brakes and wheel bearing service is a biggie on these trucks . good luck , BTW , Where in NY are you ?

Flyingvan911

I worked with a guy who drove deuces in Vietnam. He was tone deaf, being unable to hear high pitched noises. It wasn't until I bought my deuce that I started to wonder if his deuce driving didn't cause his tone deafness. I wear hearing protection for any trip except for a short spin around the block.

Rmtaunton

Here is my brake symptoms if I am driving the pedal Will fall to the floor if I continually pump at the pedal it will get hard and it's proper spot and works perfect seconds later after driving if I hit the brakes again it will be back on the floor.
Brakes are definately out of adjustment , what your doing is pumping wheel cylinders till they grab , then they retract . You definatly need to go through whole brake system though

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Usually, that is an indication the brakes need adjusted. The book calls for 10thou gap top and 20thou bottom. I have found that 15thou top and bottom works well.

Jeepsinker

Have you checked the fluid level in the master cylinder lately?
Still, you need to go through each hub and check each wheel cylinder as you go. My brakes felt fine albeit a bit weak when I got my truck, no signs of leaking brakes either. When I did go through and pack all the bearings I found several leaking wheel cylinders and a couple with solid rusted cups. Also, you can get a brand new master cylinder from member Clintogf for like $55 bucks. Well worth the money.

Last edited:

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
CDR the truck looks like a very good place to start, it looks fairly complete and a good base to start building upon! I have owned a few Deuces with both the C and D turbos, the whistler sounds very cool and you can hear it from a LONG ways away, if you are going to drive this truck for any distances you ARE going to get very tired of it rather quickly, if you have a D turbo in the truck I would recommend you keep it the way it is. If you do change to a C turbo keep the D on hand and a fresh set of gaskets etc. because you will very likely be changing it back after a while!
Good luck
Karl

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am at a loss as to how so many people can tell another person that they WILL get tired of the whistler.. Just because you (whoever says it) can't tolerate it doesn't mean the original poster can't. What's next, telling folks they will get tired of beer and fire? I'd bet more that a few of these folks have never owned a whistler truck. FWIW, at speed the whistle can barely be heard. It's loudest between idle and about 1800.

andy3

When I drive my C turbo I go to my happy zen place. My wife (love that woman) insisted on a C turbo. That may be so she can hear me coming & going.

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Had my deuce (C equipped) at a high idle parked next to the machine shed one morning. My neighbor stopped on the road, backed up and came up the drive, gets out and says' "what is that sound? Is that the deuce? Yep, C turbo. "Oh man, I got to get one of them", It helped that the J pipe had a hole in it. Love that sound.
JC

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I wear hearing protection when driving, period (and I have "D" turbos). But I know I can hear Mitch when he drives his deuce coming into the neighborhood half a mile away as his "C" turbo spools up after making the turn. Once you've heard it, you'll never forget the sound. Whether you like it or not is individual preference.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If the D turbo was bad I could see replacing it with a C if that's what your looking for , but can't see taking a good running truck apart just to swap for a C turbo . I'm a firm believer in if it isn't broke don't fix it.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Gimp, I have no clue what that is but want a keyword so I can google it. Looks like a fun annoyance, in the extra zip tie kinda way.
Its a spark plug whistle. It uses engine compression to power the whistle, one of the loudest things you will hear in operation(funny too).

acesneights1

If your brake fluid is low, make sure you determine what brake fluid you have. It "should" be silicone Dot 5 but sometimes people change it to cheaper Dot 3 or worse don't realize it's dot 5 and add dot 3.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks