• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Changing D to a C TURBO

CDR

Trying to find a place that does rebuilding any suggestions on a good place? every rebuilder wants to know the make of the turbo who was the original manufacture?

Jeepsinker

You do need a special socket to remove the turbine and compressor wheel though. I don't know where to get the socket but they can be had. I've never rebuilt a turbo... Yet...

JasonS

Only if you replace parts of the turbine. It is a two piece unit.
I have read and reread the rebuild manuals for the Schwitzer turbos and I can't find anything suggesting even re-assembling the compressor clocked to the turbine in the original position. The rebuild manuals do not indicate that re-balancing is needed. They are balanced sufficiently as separate pieces.

rustystud

I have read and reread the rebuild manuals for the Schwitzer turbos and I can't find anything suggesting even re-assembling the compressor clocked to the turbine in the original position. The rebuild manuals do not indicate that re-balancing is needed. They are balanced sufficiently as separate pieces.
You can go by that manual which was written in the 1960's or you can listen to what the modern turbo manufactures say today. At work we never mix parts of the Turbine assembly. But like I say "it's your rig do as you please" .

rustystud

What's wrong with putting the same parts back in that came out, less seals and bearings? Rusty, are you referring to replacing hard parts?
Yes. If you reuse the Original parts there is no problem. It's when you have a damaged compressor or turbine and replace it from another unit that the fun begins.

JasonS

You can go by that manual which was written in the 1960's or you can listen to what the modern turbo manufactures say today. At work we never mix parts of the Turbine assembly. But like I say "it's your rig do as you please" .
I trust the folks who designed and built these turbos far more than anecdotal suggestions from the internet. The manual (Schwitzer 4 series published in 1980) does not indicate that a re-balancing after a rebuild is required. Based on what I have been able to research, the individual components are balanced sufficiently then assembled (http://www.theboostlab.com/services/turbo-balancing-facts.html). If the rebuild manual for the Schwitzer 3 series indicates that a re-balance is required than I stand corrected. However, if you are making a blanket statement that ALL turbochargers need to be re-balanced or that you cannot mix parts, then you are simply incorrect.

I don't disagree that it may be best practice. I am only stating that it is not a requirement for all turbochargers.

Last edited:

rustystud

I trust the folks who designed and built these turbos far more than anecdotal suggestions from the internet. The manual (Schwitzer 4 series published in 1980) does not indicate that a re-balancing after a rebuild is required. Based on what I have been able to research, the individual components are balanced sufficiently then assembled (http://www.theboostlab.com/services/turbo-balancing-facts.html). If the rebuild manual for the Schwitzer 3 series indicates that a re-balance is required than I stand corrected. However, if you are making a blanket statement that ALL turbochargers need to be re-balanced or that you cannot mix parts, then you are simply incorrect.

I don't disagree that it may be best practice. I am only stating that it is not a requirement for all turbochargers.
Jason I know you like to argue about every little detail mentioned here, (must be the engineer in you) but out in the field where I work we don't take chances with objects that can spin over 100,000 RPM . Just because the manual (which is a reprint by the way) doesn't mention it, doesn't mean you should not do it.
At the site you reference it also states " The axial thrust spacers and compressor locknut are not balanced, and the mechanical fit of these components are subject to machining tolerance limits. When these pieces are mated a certain amount of "stackup" UNBALANCE is introduced into the completed turbo" . So when rebuilding turbos it is the WISE thing to have them balanced when changing out parts .

Last edited:

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
rustystud;1658177[COLOR=#ffff00 said:
]Jason I know you like to argue about every little detail mentioned here[/COLOR], (must be the engineer in you) but out in the field where I work we don't take chances with objects that can spin over 100,000 RPM . Just because the manual (which is a reprint by the way) doesn't mention it, doesn't mean you should not do it.
At the site you reference it also states " The axial thrust spacers and compressor locknut are not balanced, and the mechanical fit of these components are subject to machining tolerance limits. When these pieces are mated a certain amount of "stackup" UNBALANCE is introduced into the completed turbo" . So when rebuilding turbos it is the WISE thing to have them balanced when changing out parts .
Pot calling the kettle black.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks