• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Anyone tow with their deuce?

ProJunkRacing

Re: RE: Re: RE: Towing

emr said:
Just 2 cents, but these trucks were not designed to do what I think you are asking for them, and will run into trouble, as for using it in a tactical situation, these are the trucks, parades working hard off road etc, getting there slow and steady, sure you can make em go faster, BUT what about everything else,thats dangerous in my way of thinking, just buy a good used truck built to do highway speeds, these trucks were not, Hope you dont mind my input, but i really believe this,BUT NOW THERE ARE line haul tractors that are selling out there too, so to have a military rig ,they are out there that will do what You want!!! but it doesnt sound like the 2 and a half or 5 tonners are your choice, randy
I have no Intention of a KW so That is kinda out of the question for me. If it won't go that fast I don't mind. I am just asking you guys who have experience with these , what is needed to make it go quicker , etc. As I said I am not apposed to Disc brakes if I don't have air brakes.

FreightTrain

Banned
well,with all the normal mods(larger tires basically) 55-60 would be MAX for short runs.55 sustained.steeper OD gear would really kill towing since it already takes a while to get to max speed with a load on running stock.Larger tires will actually slow your zero to max speed time since your turning heavier meats and you basically changed the final gear ratio with larger roll out.Same with overdrive gears.You will have a larger hole between 4th and 5th.So,when you go from redline in 4th you will drop so many RPMS it will take a while get get them back up.Kinda like the 3rd to 4th jump.That is a BIG hole.Basically,Any MV plan for 50-55MPH top speed.If you want to go faster.Peterbilt cause you ain't gonna do it in a MV.....Well,you can do 65-70 in a MV but it takes a LONG down grade and a runaway truck ramp at the end........

jasonjc

I see this same typ post evey 3-4 moths. These trucks are NOT the ultimate toy haulers. You can't run down to auto parts store and get a "chip" and bost the HP 150+.
no A/C P/S no 1500watt stero CD/DVD
These are trucks made in the 50's for war. Not to run down the interstate at 80mph.
Just get a ford/dodge/chevy 1ton dually.

FreightTrain

Banned
Actually,they are the Ultimate toy hauler if you ain't in a rush!Cause they will pull any load though just about any condition just at a slow speed.What they were designed for.No creature comfort but much easier to fix than a civy rig.

Big Mike's Motor Pool

Supporting Vendor
i used to tow my mud truck around with my deuce. it was good for where i originally used to tow it to but times changed and that spot we used to play at got closed down. i used to get there by going 30 miles through nothing but forestry roads. so a slow going ride was like nothing for the deuce pulling a trailer so it was absoloutley perfect. if you plan on going somewhere comfortably and quickly buy a powerstroke instead of a deuce. for short jaunts down the road with a trailer on your truck its not bad, just slow. hills are also no fun when towing with a deuce

Attachments

jimk

In Memorial
In Memorial
The data plate on the 71' M35A2 (2 1/2 ton) allows for a 10,000lb towed load highway or a 6,000lb towed load cross country. This includes the weight of the empty trailer. Whatever's left is your 'legal' load capacity. It may be helpful to note the truck is also rated for 10,000 HW / 5,000 CC. Also, the TM states max 45 mph with max load/ towed load. While this does not mean you can legally tow 20,000lbs it may give an idea what the manufacturer felt the vehicle was capable of. In my opinion these relatively low ratings were more because of the small engine/severe duty expectation, not the chassis which seems very robust. These ratings may be conservative but -do- apply to both mil and civilian duty. The army can, and does, break its own rules (Hey, I'm just following orders). That doesn't work so well for civilian, especially at an accident site. If your intention is local and are willing to accept the risks you may be able to tow almost anything, albeit slowly (slowly may mean 10mph in hilly terrain). JimK

Attachments

timntrucks

Steel Soldiers Supporter
i agree that they as the duece and the 5ts can get the job done. but they cant make speeds of the 70 range as your wanting empty. the kw or peterbuilt would be a better opion. my nephews KW had a rear end ratio at 3.00 so at highway speeds it could get 7 mpg. but it took all 13 speeds to get it there under loads. but it got stuck on wet grass. so flip a coin as to which you want Tim

ProJunkRacing

jasonjc said:
I see this same typ post evey 3-4 moths. These trucks are NOT the ultimate toy haulers. You can't run down to auto parts store and get a "chip" and bost the HP 150+.
no A/C P/S no 1500watt stero CD/DVD
These are trucks made in the 50's for war. Not to run down the interstate at 80mph.
Just get a ford/dodge/chevy 1ton dually.
I guess you didn't understand that I know they are not a caddy toy hauler. I have mentioned before the intention of full disc's all around , and power steering. I understand there is no ax dvd etc. Anyone who thinks there is is a retard. I am not saying to do any chip etc because I am not a novice mechanic as to what can and can't be done. I have browsed this forum since 05 , and it is the place for duece questions. I am a Pirate4x4 nut , and if I want rock crawling talk I go there. I just am looking for the most possible information relating to a truck i would like. If it won't do 60 then so be it. I just want to know I can keep up and not make myself a hazard while driving that's all .

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Anyone tow with their Deuce?

Hi Philip

I guess the bottom line is that you can tow about anything you want (as you can see above), from slow to not very fast, and be sure to get there. Nothing about them, was made to go very fast. They "shine" as off road vehicles, with "some" highway capacity. But all this has been said eloquently.

Regards
Lee in Alaska

alphadeltaromeo

I have perhaps a silly question...but I'll ask it anyway. Bjorn, have you ever used the k-boom to push down on the ground to lift the deuce up to change a tire or is that not even possible?