• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

anything 1009's are notorious for?

timo247

I might be getting this M1009 in texas and I just want to know if 1009's are notorious for anything. like weak axles or something of the general sort. this will be my first vehicle and I don't want to figure out something that is known in these vehicles to fail easily. thanks!

donalloy1

Lots of Odd looks in COCO County! Other than that. Pretty staight forward. Most of the areas that cause Headaches are covered well here. Tune in and you will be good to go! We love ours! Take kids to School and me to work everyday unless I am down for service. Not unlike any other vehicle in my Garage.

Looks better to!

The Pawnbroker

If there is a thread that lists the most common repairs (preventative maintenance) I would appreciate a link to it as well.

I'm having an electrical problem right now. In my forum search, I found a number of posts regarding replacing the starter solenoid with a better quality unit from Napa. It looks like a somewhat common problem that's easy to replace and will prevent a fair bit of damage from happening.

CycleJay

Hello Timo,

Yes, the first thing you need to do is the "Doghead starter relay mod".
Because the stock starter relay has been known to stick, and burn out starters,
fusible links, alternators, etc.

The "Doghead starter relay mod" is a MUST do, before you do anything else.
As it is one of the most expensive and damging problems that can happen,
if you do not do it. Trust me I speak from real life experience with my own M1009.

Another suggestion, add a 24v solargizer to keep both batteries topped off..

Anything else you want to know, and I have learned alot since I got my M1009,
ask the guys here, or feel free to PM me any time.

I would be glad to help.

Good luck...

Tanner

Welcome to Steel Soldiers!

Ahh, yes... the first vehicle at 17 - you couldn't have picked a finer ~ 25-plus year-old vehicle to get for use as a vehicle repair training subject!

Read all the CUCV threads. Especially the one's dealing with 'So You Want To Buy A CUCV and Have Many Questions, But Were Afraid To Ask or Use the Awesome Search Feature'. And get a TM (Tech Manual) on the CUCV.

And buy your local GM Dealership or generic parts house guy a case of cold fermented malt beverages - you'll soon get to know each other well.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commercial_Utility_Cargo_Vehicle#General_Motors

It's also good to develop patience & a thick skin for busted arms, hands & knuckles on repairs.

Again, Welcome!

'Tanner'

Last edited:

nf6x

Feral Engineer
AHA! This is the thread that I was replying to at the moment that the site went down!

Ok, hopefully this doesn't crash the site again:

I'd say electrical problems, especially in the instrument cluster where a bad bulb contact can make parts of the truck quit working in unexpected ways.

:beer:

combatmech

AHA! This is the thread that I was replying to at the moment that the site went down!

Ok, hopefully this doesn't crash the site again:

I'd say electrical problems, especially in the instrument cluster where a bad bulb contact can make parts of the truck quit working in unexpected ways.

:ditto: Dont let the fancy military 12/24 volt system scare you. Read the TM's, and search here on SS. Avoid trying to convert it to 12 volt.....It already has a fickle electrical system if not maintained properly.

Be ready to spend about a grand right off the bat. Belts, hoses, suspension, filters, fluids, brakes, etc.
It is a 25+ year old vehicle that may or may not have been cared for very well.
Hope it comes with a fresh TX inspection. Hope you were able to inspect it. Hope it hasn't been electrically butchered.
Remember.... The TM's and the search feature will guide you to CUCV enlightenment.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Annoying Ron.

nf6x

Feral Engineer
I forgot to mention the standard wisdom for the M1009 and its relatives: If it's electrical, clean it. If it's rubber, replace it.

I also have developed a deep and abiding hatred for the rear window mechanism.

I don't mind the power train at all. I haven't driven my CUCVs much yet, but it's nearly the same power train that I'm used to from my HMMWV.

The electrical system is the illegitimate offspring of an early 1980s GM 12V civilian electrical system and a 24V NATO electrical system. Expect some headaches there, and then have fun with a nice green daily driver once you work out the kinks and learn its idiosyncrasies.

:beer:

gungearz

Welcome to steel soldiers... The only thing I hear everyone complaining about with the M1009 is that THEY ARE TO SMALL. Other then that, there as good as any used vehicle. They all have individual issues. Some are lemons and some are flawless... But none are the same.

The Pawnbroker

CycleJay and doghead. Would you guys (and any others of course) please read my thread and see if what I'm describing is likely to be related to the starter relay problem? I'm planing on doing the starter relay fix tomorrow and seeing if it will turn over. I did hold the start position for a bit while I tried to move the shift lever around. My first thought was that it was a neutral safety switch problem because that's what it seemed like to me.

Thanks very much.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/cucv/94661-my-first-real-problem.html

timo247

thanks for all the very informative replies and I would like to know about this doghead mod? I know about the solargizer and It will be an addition to the truck. luckily I have mkcoen near me to help me with problems on the 1009. specific parts that are known to fail would be very welcome as I would want to have a replacement for when I buy it.

Tanner

Last edited:

jw4x4

09's are notorious for excellent fuel mileage in a full size 4x4. Plenty of room to seat 4 adults comfortably. Availability and affordability of parts. Endless options for customization. I really love mine, esp. as a daily driver.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks