• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Are hydraulic winches hard to come by?

ramdough

I have not seen many trucks at auction with winches. Are they hard to come by?

Is it hard to source parts or add them to existing trucks?

Is there an aftermarket PTO hydraulic power pack that is easier to get?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

snowtrac nome

my opinion you know what it is like every one has one and mine is the only one that doesn't stink. the winches are out there on riggs being scrapped they seem to command a decent price and are marginal at best for that sized truck a 2 part block is a must. on a single line pull top layer it wont begin to move the truck to get max pull you will have to have it down to the last layer. I do like the idea of a front or rear pull on the same winch, I feel that a wider drum and less layers are a more usable configuration for recovery work. with skid plate modification there is lots of room behind the front bumper and some creativity could get one mounted in the rear also which would be better for self recovery.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
It's a neat setup being able to winch front or back. Not that many trucks have the winch. Easiest way to get a complete winch setup is buy a winch truck and switch the stuff over to yours.

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm not familiar with the FMTV PTO. Is that the same 6 bolt as the 939 series Allison PTO and is there room for a direct mount pump? I know the same PTO works on the M35A3 with Allison.

ramdough

Is there an aftermarket PTO that might work?

I would prefer a different style winch anyway.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
Don't know. I'm sure there are ptos that will bolt up. Just need to find a setup that fits. It's expensive stuff though, others have searched in the past. First gen trucks have manual throttle up and A1 trucks it's electronic.

ramdough

Sounds like you would have to buy an A1 with a winch or the first gen may possibly be compatible with an aftermarket but no one knows yet.

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Why not find the specs and see if the components are available to make it happen. I see the PTO is a bevel gear and much wider, so could transmit more PTO power than the 939 series spur gear. Allison tends to standardize, so it may be used on a lot of trucks, like refuse collector packers and the like.

Will, do you know the pressure of the system (high 4-5k or agricultural 1200-1500# like 939 series)? How big is the winch motor?

snowtrac nome

the pto is the same on all 3000 series trucks I have seen some 2 wd trucks with the pto window on the passengers side most I have seen are on the drivers side of the transmission

coachgeo

the pto is the same on all 3000 series trucks I have seen some 2 wd trucks with the pto window on the passengers side most I have seen are on the drivers side of the transmission
just cause someone will someday ask..... I'm betting he means "3000 series" as pertaining to the "Allison 3000 series of Tranny's"

Oxyacetylene

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mine is a winch truck, but like snowtrac said, they are not very powerful. It is rated for 11k of pull on the first layer of the drum. The truck empty with winch weighs over 18k. It is only like 6k of pull with a full drum. The line is pretty long so you can use a snatch block, but still. I do like having a tachometer though :). swapping a complete winch setup would require several things: winch, PTO, hydraulic tank, hydraulic lines and electrically actuated valves, gauge pod with tach and switches, wiring, roller guides/fairleads, and maybe transmission programming? Engaging the PTO forces the transmission into neutral.

snowtrac nome

the trans in nutrural is just a wire you hook up on the tcm as an option ive been through this before on commercial allisons I have a fleet of fuel trucks the up fitter didn't use this option on they will go into gear with the pto engaged. because they are air shift there is a brake interlock added so the trivers cant drive away with the pump running.

Mos68x

I would love to have a hyd one, but with all the effort and parts to make it work I think I'll just go with ProWinch's 24V ones instead. Besides that, I really don't want another box cluttering up my cab. When I had my brother and sister in the truck driving around seeing family when she visited it was a bit cramped. Granted we all know women have to carry everything with them, but I really don't want another bit of hardly used equipment in the cab if I can help it. I was originally against going electric because of water, but since these are waterproof I'm all for it. I still want the OEM chassis extensions for the winch though so I can mount it where it is normally. After that the first that I will do is change from the wire rope to Spectra or whatever is the newest and strongest at that time.

Y'all have to remember that no matter what winch you use, elec or hyd, new or old, NONE of them will pull their rated amount on the outermost layer of rope. Winch pulling capacity is rated from the FIRST WRAP of cable on the drum. Each subsequent layer decreases the winch's pulling power because it has to work harder to turn the drum.

Last edited:

Mos68x

I think for the money, the option you pointed out is probably a better choice. Plus you can drive and winch at the same time if needed.

I guess duty cycle is also a consideration.
Heat from the elec ones is also another factor to consider. Granted I've never actually had to use the winches when I was in the Army but I doubt the hyd ones will build as much heat in the drum as the elec ones do. Driving and winching is a considerable bonus that I had actually forgotten about.

ramdough

The 20k ones have 8,000 lb on the 5th wrap and what looks like better pulling force every where else. They only carry 98' of rope.

I think you would only be able to pull for a couple minutes before you have to let the thing cool down. But, as long as you are not in a hurry, they seem to be a decent option.

My primary location for a winch would be the back, but I would consider also having a front winch as well.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks