• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Are prices going up?

rubicon_in_ga

During the ice storm here in GA last week, I noticed several guys out driving their Deuces, and it got me itching to finally buy one. (and yes, I know driving on ice was a dumb idea, but still makes me want one) I've been interested in Deuces for many years, and I remember as recent as five years ago the going price for a good looking, good running Deuce was around $5k locally. I have a big tax refund coming this year, and was hoping to put it toward the purchase of my first Deuce, but when I started looking at local ads, it looks like the price has crept up to an average of around $8000. I've been looking on ebay, Atlanta Craigslist, and the local autotrader/trucktrader ads. I thought about going the GL route, but since this will be my first, I'd prefer to be able to test drive it and know what I'm buying beforehand, rather than the possible crap shoot of finding one on GL. Am I just looking in the wrong places, or are prices actually going up? I also notice fewer and fewer Deuces on GL lately, and more of the 5 tons and M900 series trucks. Perhaps limited availability is driving prices up? What are your thoughts?

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A lot of guys will comment it's the time of year. Possible as I remember this same theme from last year.

Did you check the ads here? I think there are a few for sale.

slantflat

Make your own ad here, vehicle wanted. Decide what you want, how much you want to pay, how far you'd drive, etc, then put it out here. You'll be driving a Deuce before you know it!

rubicon_in_ga

I just checked the classifieds here, but couldn't find anything in GA, SC, NC, or TN that I was looking for, but as soon as I have the cash in hand, I'll post a wanted ad and see what I can find! :)

Scarecrow1

Five years ago you get two or three Deuce,s for that price . Your best bet is to bank the money and wait for the tax money to run out. If your smart you willbe looking at the 5tons now. They are newer in better condition for the most part and are automatic and air breaks to boot. If your willing to do the bidding game it will pay off big time for you. To buy a Duece now you will pay top dollar due to the limited numbers left. The big boys are getting harder to find and they will repeat the same cycle as the Deuce. The new FMTV,s are on the block now and they are going for top dollar as the new Kidd on the block . This is he nature of surplus welcome to the sickness......

jw4x4

This is a simple case of Econ 101. The laws of supply and demand. There are less and less deuces coming into the stream. That, along with the seasonal glut of dollars generated by tax refunds, tends to drive prices up. Continue searching diligently for a good deal. If one is not found, and you have the patience to wait awhile, I assure you the right one will surface. If you absolutely have to have it now, you will likely pay a premium price.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
PM Clinto and see what he has if anything.
Yea, PM Clinto, he can get you a good truck for that old price.
Thank you for the compliments, gentlemen.

During the ice storm here in GA last week, I noticed several guys out driving their Deuces, and it got me itching to finally buy one. (and yes, I know driving on ice was a dumb idea, but still makes me want one) I've been interested in Deuces for many years, and I remember as recent as five years ago the going price for a good looking, good running Deuce was around $5k locally. I have a big tax refund coming this year, and was hoping to put it toward the purchase of my first Deuce, but when I started looking at local ads, it looks like the price has crept up to an average of around $8000. I've been looking on ebay, Atlanta Craigslist, and the local autotrader/trucktrader ads. I thought about going the GL route, but since this will be my first, I'd prefer to be able to test drive it and know what I'm buying beforehand, rather than the possible crap shoot of finding one on GL. Am I just looking in the wrong places, or are prices actually going up? I also notice fewer and fewer Deuces on GL lately, and more of the 5 tons and M900 series trucks. Perhaps limited availability is driving prices up?
Welcome to the site. Ice or no ice, any excuse you need to go get into a deuce is a good one!

We've been refurbishing and selling deuces for several years, so we have a good grasp of the market.

So here's a recent history of the deuce market: For years, deuce prices were widely variable, as the govt. surplussed them in various numbers. Prices would go up and down a little but were pretty stable, pretty much increasing in cost along with the inflation rate.

Around 2006 or 2007(ish), DOD was really ramping up acquisition of the Deuce and 5 ton replacements, the FMTV family (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Family_of_Medium_Tactical_Vehicles). This led to an absolute flood of trucks onto the market. There were times when there were 30, 50 and occasionally more deuces at one time in one auction location. This kept the prices really low. At that point in time, we were buying deuces cheap, sometimes as low as a grand. Private market deuces were selling for $2500-$3500 at the time.

The same thing happened with the M809 series 5 tons. And it's currently happening with the M939 series 5 tons.

As time went on, the flood lightened and less deuces were coming out. This lack of trucks drive the prices up and that trend has occurred up to now.

The market for deuces is wide ranging-you can probably buy rough trucks that have been out of the military for a long time and aren't pretty or well equipped for about $4-5K. I'd say the high end of the market is around $8-10K, but that's for pretty trucks that are well equipped and properly titled. Crewcabs and bobbers are more because of the large amount of fabrication work. There are exceptions to this rule, so I don't want anyone to think that I'm running down a truck they bought or are selling at the low end of the market.

So in short, prices are (and have been) going up. I don't know where they'll stop. I expect at a certain point you reach a level where they peak and float along with the inflation rate. I have no idea where that would be-if I was that good at picking #'s out of the ethos, I'd be playing on Wall St. instead of CARC street.

I have a few trucks that will be ready soon, most with good options, some with very good options. I'd be happy to have you swing by our place and show you the ropes. I'd be happy to show you what you need to look for, what you can expect, etc. You're more than welcome to the drive any or all of them. I've extended this offer for several people. If you don't buy a truck from me, that's fine, I have more buyers than I do trucks.

Welcome to the hobby. Be forewarned, it's real addictive.

Streetgliderx

Back in 07 I passed up an A2 w/w and electric wipers for 3200.00. I couldn't afford it then. Goin to look at a deuce for 3500 today. I'll post up about my experience tonight. I too have noticed they are climbing in price. I have found a few A3's between 7500-12,000. I'd like to have one but the lower priced ones are 8+ hours away! it will take me about another 1000 in fuel to retrieve them with my low boy and tractor. One is in my back yard but the man wants 12,000 and it's got some issues. For 12k I think I can build a real monster of a deuce. I own a full on fab shop so I'm looking to buy my first deuce and start my addiction,..... I have seen some nice 5 tons reasonable tho!!

SP5

I'd like to have one but the lower priced ones are 8+ hours away! I have seen some nice 5 tons reasonable tho!!
I understand your plight. Where I live, M35s are few and far between. When I factored-in the costs of recovery/shipping, they became too expensive.
However, within the radius of a couple of hours driveing, there must be at least 15>20 five tonners, with several of them in better condition than almost any deuce I've seen.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
And here is a rub for you.

GL prices tend to be higher than what the private market prices are. People will pay more for a unknown condition truck fro GL because they get caught up in the bidding frenzy. But they won't pay the same price for a truck that they can kick the tires on. Crazy I tell you.

3rdaavbn

Go to see Clinto! He is Close to you and knows his stuff. He did a Multi fuel engine swap for me last year, along with a lot of other things.
I highly recommend Clint!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks