• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Are the Forums now the Classifieds?

HeadWizard

Again Don, I apologize...:p
Don't apologize. Maybe I can be like lots of others and sell some converters on here!

Did I mention that I just got 8 Florida titles in the mail today from GL for the deuces and 5 tons sitting out back (and in 2 other places)?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
How much for the titles?:razz:

uoa

What about wanted adds? Can they go in the forum? I need windows and other parts for my future M109, see pic. Don't ask for specifics, I haven't picked it up yet, I will post ANOTHER thread when I know for sure... if its ok. Is it ok?

Attachments

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
The good news is that you have a fuel burning heater kit in the box already. Well.... at least you had one when the pic was taken.

There is a section for Want Ads in the Classified Ads section as well. Thanks.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I'll be real surprised if that heater is still there when you get the truck. If it is, I would like a bunch of pictures of it. I need to see how to set one up in my 109.

GoldComet6

WHOA....STOP....we have a Classified Ad Section?????

Seriously - I enjoy just looking through the classifieds at all the stuff I can't afford, don't have room for, can't drive to get, don't have time to mess with, and simply can't justify (to myself) buying!!!!

:roll:

LanceRobson

The easy thing to say would be to state that, "It's Chris' site, so do what he wants." After all, it's not a democracy, it's a benevolent dictatorship.

That said, whether someone lists a wanted, needed or offered for sale item on the open forum doesn't bother me at all.

The classified section is, in comparison to other sources, tiny. I don't spend much time there because it hasn't got the volume of stuff to make me feel like I need to add it to my list of sites I regularly scan.

On any given day there might be a couple hundred items I'd be interested in buying if I knew they were offered. By the same token, we've got buildings full of stuff I might sell, trade or give away if I knew someone has the need.

My biggest SS frustration is with post titles that weren't crafted to get the point of the post across in the amount of letter spaces displayed when you open the board.

If a "classified" post started with WTB, WTS, Need a, Want a, gets to the point and is posted in the equipment specific forum, you could more easily decide if you want to open it. Given the way many post titles are crafted, curiosity and the desire to help the community means that we all open a lot of posts that waste our time.

If folks thought about how much of the title would be displayed prior to posting, we'd all save a bunch of time, and it's not just "classified" type posts that could use some title streamlining.

Each of us can decide for our selves if we want to open a post. Brief, concise titles would be a big help in that decision. I'm more concerned with uninformative post titles than whether an item should be in the classified section.

Lance

Engine5

Headwizard,
If that was a slam in my direction, then........ please direct it. I was asking a question because I did not want to put an ad in the classified's for a truck to have an SS member get interested in to find out that i can not put it in as " a sale pending". If there was another way to put the question I would have. If the mod's think that it does not belong there then they will do what the do. Thats why I ask THEM.
If I am mistaken in your comment, then I apologize. If not, then don't read it.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Up to the last page, this thread was funny as can be to me on a day I could use some humor.

btw: wtb a cucv radiator for a "working stiffs" price. Tomorrow after I get a look at the truck I may have a more extensive wtb list.

Humor me.:wink::-D

HeadWizard

Headwizard,
If that was a slam in my direction, then........ please direct it. I was asking a question because I did not want to put an ad in the classified's for a truck to have an SS member get interested in to find out that i can not put it in as " a sale pending". If there was another way to put the question I would have. If the mod's think that it does not belong there then they will do what the do. Thats why I ask THEM.
If I am mistaken in your comment, then I apologize. If not, then don't read it.
This thread wasn't a slam in anyone's direction, just the ramblings of a mushy brain after a bad morning.

I will admit that an old boss of mine promoted me years ago and gave me a 3' long wooden spoon because he was happy that I always stirred the pot.

Hey, anybody want to buy some kitchen utensils?

uoa

Ill get pictures of that heater... if its still there. I should have pushed it up into the back when I previewed it. This truck wasn't my first choice so I didn't pay it much attention, all I know is that it has missing windows from the box and I'm stressing about the heater at the back of the bed. DON'T TAKE MY HEATER!!!

ETA:

Im a corporal now!! I feel like a real man... WOOT!

Last edited:

maybefixit

I agree with LanceRobson, sometimes the discussions about an item for sale have good info buried in them. If it's well tagged in the headline, I don't mind.

Carnac - we need a better description. I'll kick it off:
Truck, Utility, 4x4, 3/4 ton, M1009
Items missing include radiator fluid, right front turn signal, right front headlight, driver's happy place. Driver's seat deformed like a Hershey's kiss. Running condition unknown. Parts removed but included are: front fender, front bumper, vehicle keys.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I know I have been guilty of posting one for sale item recently. I can't remember the last time previous to that. Regardless, I broke the rules. I did so, as Chris indicated would be my (and others' reason) is because the classified section, as currently constituted, does not get nearly enough traffic. I NEVER peruse the classifieds section. I will also add that I notice the ads that scroll on the right side of the screen. I like Lance's suggestion...but will abide by whatever Chris decides.

CUCVFAN

Gunner's Mate First Class
Steel Soldiers Supporter
IMHO, the problem is we have the "Most Recent Threads" section on the main page. I've asked in the past if we could exempt forums from that list? If so, we could have classified and want forums and have the standard one bump per day rule. Of course, when there's lots of traffic, that still tends to aggravate the people who bump early in the AM, but I think it works in other forums.

uoa

ar15.com has a one bump per 72hrs rule. Works ok there... they are very strict though, that may be key to success.

mangus580

The rule goes like this...

Items for sale belong in the classifieds. If its posted there, you are allowed to post a link in a forum post about your ad in the classifieds.

Items for sale on ebay are allowed to be linked in members items on ebay.

If its not on ebay, or not in the classifieds for sale... dont post it.

Those are the rules....

Now... I have been lax in enforcing the rules, because I am sick of the attacks i get personally when I try to enforce rules. I have slacked down recently all across the board because of this. :-(

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks