• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Arkansas River Valley Fun Run 5 May

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
We have put together a simple spring convoy that will originate at the Lake Dardanelle State Park in Russellville, AR. It will consist of a one day event departing the park at 0900 on Sat morning, May 5th. This will not be a convoy that has any outside support. There will be no registration or fees. You will be responsible for your motel room or camping, as needed. The convoy will be approximately 75 miles. We will return to the park and disembark. This will be a social event. Everyone is invited and welcome. The reason we are planning on departing at 0900 rather than 0800 is to allow some of the local members the time to drive in from home, so they don't have to spend the night at a local hotel. Steve Smith and David Hopkins are the organizers. It will not be considered a Red Ball Convoy, just a fun run.

We are set with the Lake Dardanelle State Park in Russellville to conduct our convoy on May 5th. We lucked out and picked a good date as there are only a couple other small events going on in the park that day. There is a large paved parking lot with deep parking spaces, perfect for trucks and trailers. If we need more room there is also a large gravel parking area right next to the paved lot. The area should be very secure being in sight of the visitors center and the rangers make regular patrols of the area. It's a beautiful park and they are very excited to have us there. They have dozens of clean camping spaces surrounded by the lake with various hookups. Here is some general rate information. If you want more info on the park or want to reserve a camping space go to Lake Dardanelle State Park on scenic Arkansas River at Russellville - Arkansas State Parks and/or call 479-967-5516. Note, they have senior discounts! The park superintendent is Andy Thomas.

Class AAA (water, 50amp, sewer): $30.94
Class AA (water, 30amp, sewer): $27.63
Class B (water, 30amp): $19.89

There are many hotels in Russellville, most of them clustered around the Hwy 7 exit off of Interstate 40, an easy 5 mile drive from the park. But only two of them have enough parking space to meet our needs. I suggest the LaQuinta Inn and the Super 8. The LaQuinta is the nicest of the two being only 3 years old and two rooms I looked at were spotless. They have a free hot breakfast, free WiFi, an indoor pool, and pets are allowed at no extra charge by simply signing an additional form. The Super 8 is nice as well, just an older hotel. Two rooms I checked there looked great. They have a free continental breakfast, free Wifi, and there are five rooms available for pets. There is a $5 extra charge for pets at the Super 8. Please inform either hotel about any pets you are bringing when you make your reservation. The LaQuita has a small parking lot in front of the hotel with some double deep spaces and right behind the building is the large gravel lot. At the Super 8 the only large vehicle parking is in the same gravel lot shared with the LaQuinta. The lot is lit and highly visible on all sides. There are many places to eat within easy walking distance of both hotels. Ruby Tuesday, Colton's Steak House, Waffle House, Dixie Cafe, Cracker Barrel, IHOP, Burger King, etc..... When you call to make your reservation just say you are with the "MVPA" to get the group rates. Here is the hotel contact and rate information that I was given.

LaQuinta Inn, 111 E. Harrell Dr., Russellville AR, 72802, phone: 479-967-2299, ask for "Dusti" if there is any problems with the rates.

Single King Bed: $75
Double Beds: $80
(Note: these rates do NOT include the tax and there is no charge for pets)

Super 8, 2404 N. Arkansas Ave., Russellville AR, 72802, phone: 479-968-8898, ask for "Nick" if any problems with the rates.

Single King Bed: $58.50
Double Beds: $63
(Note: these rates do NOT include the tax and there is a $5 extra charge for pets)

ARYankee

Wow!!! Sounds like fun! I have some hotel points that I need to use up. I am definitely interested. Don't know if I will be in the deuce or the M1009. I'll see about getting some of the others guys around here to go :)

Is it just the convoy or is it going to be a mini rally? I think if I go I will be there Friday evening and leave Sunday.

Last edited:

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
From What I understand just a convoy/ fun run/get together to take the place this year of the "Red Ball'in Thru the Ozarks" that was canceled for this year.
ARYankee I sent you an email with more contact Info.

ARYankee

From What I understand just a convoy/ fun run/get together to take the place this year of the "Red Ball'in Thru the Ozarks" that was canceled for this year.
ARYankee I sent you an email with more contact Info.
Huh. I didn't know that the Red Ballin thing was canceled... but then again I really don't have anything to do with the fuddy duddy Arkansas MV Travelers anyways.

supertech

Looking forward to attending depending on work schedule. I am just getting involved in the MV world. What route is the 75 mile trek going to take?

rumplecat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I got most of my stuff in Russellville so I gotta go on this one, .... what to drive, or better yet what is running? Sam, what's up I would like to meet you and it's a short drive!

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Here is the convoy route we will be executing out of Russellville on May 5th. The route totals right at 100 miles and includes some interesting back roads like the "Old Military Road", which will make the drive a little more challenging. The dirt/gravel back roads don't add any mileage to the route and can be bypassed if the weather is bad. We will depart Lake Dardanelle State Park at 900 hours (9AM) sharp and head north-west along the Arkansas River. Our morning stop will be in Clarksville at the American Legion Hut next to Spadra Creek. They will lay out coffee and donuts for us and our stop there will be advertised in the local paper. Be ready for some spectators. We will then head south-west out of the Clarksville, cross the Arkansas River, follow some back roads through the hills and prairies, drop south through Paris, and make an easy climb to our lunch stop at beautiful Cove Lake Park below below Mt. Magazine. The park has a great picnic area right on the lake with a pavilion, lots of tables, and large clean restrooms. Everyone will need to pack a picnic lunch. After lunch we will make a short drive north to the Subiaco Abbey/Academy. There we will get a brief talk on the history of the place from Father Huge Assenmacher and we can tour the Abbey and walk the Academy grounds. This is an interesting place rich with history. We will then head east on the Old Military Road to a rest stop at a roadside park in New Blaine. After the short break we will continue east, passing Mt. Nebo and the southern edges of Lake Dardanelle, and turn north through the city of Dardanelle. We will cross the Arkansas River again and turn north-west back to Lake Dardanelle Park. We should arrive back at the park at 1615 hours (4:15PM). The park will be listing our event in their newsletters, and the city of Russellville may advertise it as well, so we should expect some spectators to be on hand at the park when we depart in the morning and return in the afternoon. Let's pray for good weather and have a "fun run"!
Here are the mileages of the various sections and the time schedule we will try to stick to. This info is also attached here as a Word document file so you can save it and print it. There could be a few tweaks to this between now and May 5th but this is the general route we will follow. If needed, updated route info will be sent out again before the convoy. Maps of the route will be handed out to all drivers the morning of the convoy. Make sure your vehicle is fueled up, carries an operational fire extinguisher, and all vehicles must be licensed and carry liability insurance as per the law. Each vehicle owner/driver is responsible for the safe operation of their vehicle and all "rules of the road" will be followed. We don't want any accidents. Think safety all the way!

2012 River Valley Convoy Route:

Attachments

Last edited:

ARYankee

So who's in? I got my room reserved for Friday night at the Comfort Inn & Suites. I may attempt to hook up and convoy with the fellas coming from south Arkansas. I'll be bringing the 923 along with my 2 hoodlum sidekick boys :)

ARYankee

I'm up for it. I'll check with the guys that are coming from the southern part of the state and see if they are interested as well. Do you know of any good places in Russellville? I don't go there often and when I do, it's usually fast food.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks