• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Armed Forces Day Ft. Lewis May 21

Amer-team

This is a reminder that Ft. Lewis will be hosting an Armed Forces Day celebration on May 21, 2011, from 0900 to 1800. There will be plenty of current issue vehicles and equipment as well as historical vehicles and equipment on display. There are things to do and see for all members of the family.

The event is free. Parking will be in designated areas with shuttle busses to the site.

wsucougarx

Truck is Army, BDU top is Navy, but you're a civilian....LOL how does that work?:) I'd strip the US NAVY tape off the BDU and wear it. Less explaining to do when you're asked if you're NAVY.
When our unit got put on mobilization alert to Landstuhl Hospital in Germany (under US Army command) we were told we needed to buy (officers only) the current ACU's w/US Navy nametapes. You want to talk about getting asked a ton of questions. Marines and Sailors were a bit puzzled at Bangor Subase (our drill site) to say the least when we reported for inspection in ACU's.

Last edited:

srodocker

hhaha my brother will be in his ACU's and i'll have bdus' my buddy is hooking me up with a ACU gortex jacket. im collecting them. so far i have 2 bdu and 1 dcu.

Amer-team

What unit is your truck marked for? From the living history point of view, the idea is to be as accurate as possible. But none of us had all the stuff when we started out and the scarcity of some items has caused us to have to go with reproduction items to round out an impression.
As for an Army name tape, you can get a good used one at any military shop in Tillicum for a dollar and you could get your name done at one of the sewing shops, closest to Camp Murray for 2 or 3 dollars and then there you are right up to date. Put on black boots, bdu cap, and put a steel pot on the seat and you are ready to represent a unit. Then you can start looking for the appropriate flak jacket, TA 50, and a dummy M 16 and you are set. And don't forget proper grooming. Be ready to answer questions. At least two of the guys with the Desert Storm display are DS vets and will be very accurate in their equipment. The accuracy of the impression is icing on the cake of your MV.

srodocker

My theme is a modern day deuce. I have all the bdus and pants. no hat yet as my head is a size 8. brother has a kevlar helmet that we will have on the seat and i'll a flak jacket on. im going to stop at the tillicum store later today and see what i can find.

Amer-team

How did you come out at the military shops? the surplus stores have bins of bdu caps, that would be a good source. I don't think I have ever seen a size 8, in any hat. Have seen a few 7 3/4's. Been beating on the 5 T trying to get that last top bow in. the one I had was warped, so turned it over, redrilled and am trying to get it in. Had to quit beating as it was late and didn't want the neighbors complaining. Will get it tomorrow and hopefully the cargo cover too.

srodocker

im hoping to hit the surplus stores tomorrow. yea my had is large hahaha. i want a bonny cap size 8. Was working on my truck today. hopefully getting it fixed up tomorrow.

Amer-team

What projects are going on your truck? I still have an unfound air leak. I was wondering why the airtank would lose pressure so quickly after shutting down the engine. I had to work today and by the time I got home it was too wet to crawl under the monster to look for the leak again.

srodocker

hopefully hehe. shoot i may be doing a recovery in silverdale on may 22nd hehe im wanting to get started on my camper trailer project at brads tomorrow as well

Last edited:

ABN173

Just checking in, sorry I will be headed to Yakima for a five week training event the day prior to this event. I will probably only be able to make Aaron's PNW event and that will be it until next year.

-Dale

REO 54

Been hanging out on that site a bit.Good info on economics and the presevation of wealth.
For those of you who subscribe to the end of the world stuff,if you don't need your MV equipment anymore just PM me!

Look forward to meeting up with you Dale at the Rally.Safe travels til' then.

Last edited:

Amer-team

Scott if you didn't pick them up already, I have a couple of US Army tapes for your uniform. Will put them in the glove box so I don't forget them. With the help of a couple of buddies, got the top on the cargo bed today for the first time. I think it is a newer top, so may be able to adjust the top bows a bit higher at a future date. Still need to do some work on it for getting it tied down properly.

srodocker

nice! i may head to the surplus store in a little bit. got a nail in one of the singles today. but most tire shops are closed to yank it out. i tried with a pair of needle nose but its in there good. no leak though.

thanks for the heads up on the army tape!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks