• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Armored Deuce

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Given the choice between speed and heavy armor I would take speed.........you can add some bullet resistance but if you are bottoned up in a hardened vehicle you open yourself up to very limited vision.

If you are just bugging out and resistance is minimal you can go around or over a lot of obstacles.

If the road is being watched by a prepared and well equipped group you are probably going to get funnelled into a "killing field" and taken out with improvised weapons.

In a bad situation most people are going to wait till the last minute to head for safer ground (assuming there is any). That is when the confusion and breakdown of civilized behavior will occur.

The time to bug out is when the roads are still clear (or what passes for clear in CA) and you can make the best time to your fallback position (you do have a prepared place......right).

Don't expect to arrive in someone else's AO and be welcomed with open arms. If you are withing 300 miles of LA or any other major metro area you are prob still screwed.

Good luck with that.

zout

Truckaholic - I would say that person has some major pent up agression and aggrivation he needed to release.

Armor all ya want - there is always something bigger and worse out there to take you out than you own or could test to see if your vehicle was sufficient to withstand impact.

I say go for the speed and manuverability - speaking of jet fighters techniques. Man - even to to ole prop days.

Otherwise spending the $$'s unless you won the mega lottery is a waste of $$.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The question I have would this be illegal in Cali for have a armored truck?
Please explain one senario where an "armored vehicle" is useful or needed, in a "legal situation".

3/8" mild steel plate with phonebooks
I wonder why the Military (or any security vehicle companies) does not make " armored" vehicles using phonebooks.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I wonder why the Military (or any security vehicle companies) does not make " armored" vehicles using phonebooks.
That's because, here in Cheyenne our phone books are so small they might stop a 22; anything else would go through.aua

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
That's because, here in Cheyenne our phone books are so small they might stop a 22; anything else would go through.
Putting sand in the gap would make more sense to me......with drain holes in the bottom of the armored "sandwich".

I'll see your improvised armor plate and raise you two gallons of gas and some improvised fuel thickener.

FASTNOVA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would really like to see that phone book idea. Just imagine how much that truck would weigh if those phone books got wet.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
think LA phone books, white pages are 5" thick and is a set of three to get to Z

Lextreme

I have heard from my patient (who taught us history over 47 years and well read person) told me that is how they were made. Phonebook is just a filler.

Mike929

Steel Soldiers Supporter
FYI, 50 BMG AP or API rounds cut through 3 inches of mild steel with no issues and you get a nice flash from the API that gets sucked into and through the hole, looking for something to ignite.

This is based on my co-worker shooting a 3 inch thick mild steel gong at 500 yards.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Patient? Your not a psychiatrist, are you?

I think someone has been watching Myth Busters, too much.

Csm Davis

armor

I have heard from my patient (who taught us history over 47 years and well read person) told me that is how they were made. Phonebook is just a filler.
Well 47 years ago that might have been true but we now have kevlar and just use a thin sheet of metal then a layer of kevlar then 3/8ths plate, the kevlar will hold water in also so proper sealing is needed. And the armored car that law applies to is the ones that go around picking up money not a personal bullet resistant vehicle. As to being able to see stack flat windshield glass till roughly 3" thick it will stop most rifles.

Lextreme

FYI, 50 BMG AP or API rounds cut through 3 inches of mild steel with no issues and you get a nice flash from the API that gets sucked into and through the hole, looking for something to ignite.

This is based on my co-worker shooting a 3 inch thick mild steel gong at 500 yards.
Not 50 BMG. They are illegal in Cali. I was thinking NATO round the most.

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Just because something is ILLEGAL does not mean it is not out there. sorta the thinking of gun control, make it ILLEGAL for gun ownership, that way nobody gets shot.:whistle::whistle::whistle:dark

KsM715

Just because something is ILLEGAL does not mean it is not out there. sorta the thinking of gun control, make it ILLEGAL for gun ownership, that way nobody gets shot.:whistle::whistle::whistle:dark

roflRon, thats exactly what I was thinking when I read that post. Just because its illegal does not mean people will not have them.

You want my 2cents on all this SHTF stuff ( I hear a resounding NO, but oh well here it is,) All these bugout/gunfight/outgunned problems are only going to be brought on by all these prepper types fighting each other for "higher"ground and claiming they were defending "their" ground or food suppy. I'll take the stand yourground route. I can deal with the riots/rioters (sp?) If a rioting crowd comes your way just drop the first 2 or 3 (in a SHTF situation only of course) and the crowd will turn and go some place else. The only reason we have riots now is because the crowd knows the worst that will happen is they get arrested or maybe scraped up little. When all civilities go out the window and there is no supposed "law" and you drop a few they will leave you alone. If they dont then its just a war of attrition (sp?) and will.

OP you want some real, honest advice. Get out of CA. Move to the midwest, and live in a town of no more than 50k and you will not have to worry about stupid rioters. You can sit back and watch the stupid people on TV. Get to know your neighbors. We have lots of land to grow gardens and raise cattle. If you dont have food when the world ends you can trade some manual labor to one of your neighbors that does and we'll all get along just fine out here.

Now with that said can we please stop the SHTF stuff on this site. This is about MV's and a fun hobby. I'm tired of getting looked at funny because I like to cruise around and play with my MV's
:rant:

Last edited:

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I'm tired of getting looked at funny because I like to cruise around and play with my MV's
:rant:
Jeff, really do not think you look funny driving your MV, you just look funny, you really do not need to be driving anything :jumpin::whistle:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks