• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

ATF mixed with diesel

Chief_919

Don't use ATF. It has frinction modifiers in it that are iffy at best, and is NOT designed to burn without leaving ash or residue. I have seen some studies that said it actually reduced the lubricty of some fuels.

2 cycle engine oil is your best choice. It is designed to increase the lubricity in fuel, and designed to be burned in the combustion chanber. I mix it in for my 6.5 at about 100:1.

southdave

I have run straight In 84 f-350 6.9 ford for years still have the truck the body just rotted away I use to get from a buddy who has a tranny shop. I ran though a ten micron filter and away I go run it in my duece it really stinks though I also run Hyd oil in both trucks.

dittle

My dad has run it in his semis for years. Last truck that he had went over 900,000 miles before the injectors went bad......the injectors were rated for 100,000 miles. Before him my Grandfather ran it in all of his company semis without issue for years. Don't use the synthetic stuff however, that will ruin your day.

3dubs

Only ultra low sulfer diesel can be sold. Only 97 and newer diesels are required to use it though. I just bought sulfer and mixed it. Man my engine runs great. I used to have lots of black smoke when I pushed the petal down. Now I have to floor it to get any smoke and it is not as dark. That means more of the fuel is burning. Love those law makers.

gsomersjr

Here in WV the DOT runs random fuel checks to catch guys running off-road diesel. ATF is red and might tint the fuel to look like off-road. Big fines here for that. I know a guy running ps fluid in all his trucks and equipment with no problems. 1 qt to 100 gallons is his mix.

3dubs

The sulfer lubricates and aids combustion. Removing the sulfer removes the lubricant. That destroys IP's. That is why when they required ULS diesel it is only for the new diesels. Because it is not cheap to ugrade the old ones. But then they just made it illegal to sell anything but ULS diesel and no sulfer in diesel additives. Now you have to buy expensive lubricants to replace the sulfer that is cheap, or replace you IP and injectors. So do not buy sulfer to mix with diesel. That would be against the law. But if there is sulfer in you diesel, and it is pre 97, it is legal. I noticed powder in the fill tube when I got my truck. Either they put the sulfer in the tank or they did a poor job of mixing it. Either way that is what whoever had it did. I do a much better job of mixing for off-road use only fuel. If I happen to drive on the road at least I am legal and lubricated. DOT can check all they want.

Last edited:

nhdiesel

In my Cummins engines I always ran around 1/2 to 1 qt. of motor oil in the tank with each fillup. I used to do it mainly in the winter, but with ULSD at the pumps now, I run it all the time. I can actually hear the difference if I haven't used it for a couple tankfulls. The engine is slightly quieter running it.

And I agree with the first two posts about ATF. I'm not saying I won't run it at all, just not in strong mixtures. I don't mind it when mixed in with a batch of used motor oil, because the motor oil adds a lot of lubrication, and the ATF is very diluted.

Jim

3dubs

DudaDiesel.com Biodiesel Supplies

It is a bio diesel site. The sulfer is under "other chemicals" because it can't be sold as a fuel additive. That would be against the law. There is some phasing of the ULSD. It can be bought in Alaska the longest. It can still be bought for off road only. The law is confusing. But the sale is being restricted even though it is not required in the older diesels. Next time I replace my IP I will get one that can handle ULSD. I do not know if injectors are even made for a 6.2/6.5 for ULSD. I am sure there will be soon. I will change those out too. I am not a tree hugger but if I can be greener and still drive my truck I will. But it really makes me mad to remove the fuel before the parts are even available. So I will mix for the next 100k miles and hope a new ip and injectors are available. But for now sulfer is much cheaper than the legal additives. I hate being ripped off.

Bill W

so is the Stanadyne Jr additive the best for the money? or is 2 stroke oil better?

According to the link I posted earlier 2 stroke rates one step better then Stanadyne Jr. I pay $5.50 for a bottle of Jr and it treats 120gals

beanman1

2 cycle oil in desiel

i have heard putting 2 cycle oil in desial does that really do anything and will it hurt and whats the ratio per 26 gal of fuel

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks