• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

ATF red dye?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KsM715

I have filled up the farm truck at the off road pump several times. You then get the receipt, and it goes into the file cabinet at home, and at the end of the year, you fill out the paperwork on it and keep the receipt (like all other farm exemptions in NY) for if (when) you get audited. For all you know, that person was doing just that. As someone who has been reported before, please leave the law enforcement to law enforcement.

Regardless, I'll be interested to see how this works out for the op.

Im not going to quote all the other posts, Im just going to pick the last one.

I'd do the same thing. If he is exempt and has the paperwork to prove it then whats the propblem? No harm, no foul. However, I'm a law abiding citizen that pays my taxes and so should everyone else.

As far a leaving law enforcement to cops, would you like me to keep my mouth shut if I see some guy crawling out of your back window with your tv or laptop? Or should I do something about it? The current Gov thinks the only way to cut the current deficit is to increase taxes (we all know, well the smart ones anyways, that that is not how you raise revenue) so the guy dumping non taxed fuel in his truck when he is not supposed to is doing nothing other than stealing money out of my pocket. I catch you stealing from me and I will do something about it.:soapbox:

Pay what you owe, nothing more nothing less.:rant:

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I suggest that everybody start to clean up the talk in this thread or I am going to close it. It's one thing to discuss the types of dye used in ATF vs. Red Diesel, and discuss reporting people running dyed fuel on the highways. But, contriving to purposely break the law by finding ways to cover the fact that you are planning to run dyed fuel on road is not cool, and I don't think Chris would want it on his forum. I've already edited this thread.

End of discussion...keep it on track or it will go the way of the Dodo bird!!!

Last edited:

wilogger

Wow thanx nf6x that was my question. Your thread tells me that red solvent 164, which is used in off-road fuel is the same dye used in some ATF. Thats sad for my bud Lloyd, i don't know how much ATF was in his tank, but he should fight it. For all that think ex military vehicles or pickups are immune to tank testing by the DOT wake up or it might bite you in the arse. I've delt with the DOT all my life as a truck driver, and trust me if you have a little fender bender or even a minor violation they'll tear u apart with a fine tooth comb!

ODdave

Wow you guys are absolutely nuts, ATF vs DIESEL is not the same, but apparently you all are ok with crooks.
The WHOLE POINT of it is the tax violation. Dosnt matter what your pouring in it, If your not paying taxes in it THAT IS WHERE THE PROBLEM LIES !!!!!!

If you pour anything but green diesel in yours your considered a "crook".

Not gonna lie the whole snitching thing pisses me off. Are you gonna pull over and call the copps if you see somone without there seatbelt on? Remeber, if you call while driving its ILLEGAL !!!!!!

EDIT: sorry demon, Didnt read your post before I posted. Delete it if its to vulger.

Last edited by a moderator:

KsM715

Are you mentaly disabled? The WHOLE POINT of it is the tax violation. Dosnt matter what your pouring in it, If your not paying taxes in it THAT IS WHERE THE PROBLEM LIES !!!!!!

If you pour anything but green diesel in yours your considered a "crook".

Not gonna lie the whole snitching thing pisses me off. Are you gonna pull over and call the copps if you see somone without there seatbelt on? Remeber, if you call while driving its ILLEGAL !!!!!!

EDIT: sorry demon, Didnt read your post before I posted. Delete it if its to vulger.
1. If you dont wear a seat belt it does me no harm unless your in an accident and are not insured and I have to payfor it. Up until the accident, I dont care, after the accident if Im a witness and am asked if I saw the dirver/drivers involved wearing seat belts I'll tell them what I saw.

2. talking on cell phones while driving is not illegal in all areas.

We are not talking about someone spitting on the sidewalk, we're discussing a crime that involves everyone who buys fuel and pays taxes on it. If you cheat the system you cheat everyone that plays by the rules and payes their taxes. Thats what "trips my trigger".

RetiredNavy

Why not keep the receipt for taxed fuel, write the down the mileage and any additives that was put in the tank? So if and when a person got checked, the proof would be right there.

plym49

I would imagine that producing your credit card receipts for on-road diesel would be a compelling defense. Many years ago, when I was just a lad, a grizzled OTR trucker advised me to keep a log book with dates and mileage and every fuel receipt for the diesel fuel I purchased. In those days HHO was not dyed red. So, the burden of proof was in the paperwork. I am sure that it is still a good idea to keep good paperwork.

His advice was for ANY diesel vehicle, even a Mercedes (I had just scored one for cheap during one of the gasoline emergencies).

I run my Deuce on road diesel. I also use additives to provide IP lubrication. And I keep all my receipts and a vehicle log. I can account for every mile driven and hour idling. Whether my fuel is red, yellow, green or sky-blue pink, I can document each and every fill-up. Hopefully, that will suffice if I am ever on the wrong end of a road-side inspection.

ODdave

1. If you dont wear a seat belt it does me no harm unless your in an accident and are not insured and I have to payfor it. Up until the accident, I dont care, after the accident if Im a witness and am asked if I saw the dirver/drivers involved wearing seat belts I'll tell them what I saw.

2. talking on cell phones while driving is not illegal in all areas.

We are not talking about someone spitting on the sidewalk, we're discussing a crime that involves everyone who buys fuel and pays taxes on it. If you cheat the system you cheat everyone that plays by the rules and payes their taxes. Thats what "trips my trigger".

Actually, Not wearing you belt dose affect everyone, It raises insurance. Also, he lives in MI, It is ILLEGAL to talk on your phone and drive here.......

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Would I turn somebody in? Probably not. I have to agree with what Jeff has said though. It's stealing, no way around it.

It kind of gets under my skin when people think they are somehow exempt from paying takes that everybody else has to pay. I'm no big fan of taxes but in most states, the fuel tax goes toward the roads and you pay for what you use. It's one of the more fair forms of taxes there is.

Now I know some states rob the hwy fund for other "pet" projects when they need some extra cash (which is a whole different matter) but that still doesn't exempt you from paying.

2cents

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Why not keep the receipt for taxed fuel, write the down the mileage and any additives that was put in the tank? So if and when a person got checked, the proof would be right there.
I'm not sure your hand written records would hold up in court. It's really best to keep all red dyed additives out of your truck. Sure, you could fight it and maybe win in court but it could still cost you more that any benefits you'd gain by running ATF.

ReaperShadow762x54r

As much as I would like to get political about taxes and legal loopholes, I'll try keep this as SS friendly as possible.

Here's an idea: ONLY use legal, taxed fuels and additives in your MV and keep the long arm of the law a long ways away from MV owners. simple as that. Just as with firearms any law breaking gets lots of attention and is just more ammunition "they" can use to hamper our love affair with green iron. for the sake of all MV owners everywhere, keep it legal boys. Plain and simple.

:deadhorse:

goldneagle

I am curious if there are any state or federal laws that exempt people with hybrid or electric cars from paying road tax?

How fair is it for them to get away with using the road without paying tax while we have to pay just because we burn petroleum fuel.

What about other alternative fuels like LP or Natural Gas. Do they have road tax in their cost?

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
No taxes added for so-called "green" energy but if some of the states get their way they will put a computer on your vehicle and track how many miles you drive per year and give you a bill when you register.

simpleserf

I'd do the same thing. If he is exempt and has the paperwork to prove it then whats the propblem? No harm, no foul. However, I'm a law abiding citizen that pays my taxes and so should everyone else.

As far a leaving law enforcement to cops, would you like me to keep my mouth shut if I see some guy crawling out of your back window with your tv or laptop? Or should I do something about it? The current Gov thinks the only way to cut the current deficit is to increase taxes (we all know, well the smart ones anyways, that that is not how you raise revenue) so the guy dumping non taxed fuel in his truck when he is not supposed to is doing nothing other than stealing money out of my pocket. I catch you stealing from me and I will do something about it.:soapbox:

Pay what you owe, nothing more nothing less.:rant:
And would you call if the truck had AG plates? Just curious, because that's how it went down for us. We can't have the AG plate because The truck is used to pickup materials (We have to go to Buffalo for packaging) from over the specified limit for an ag plate, so it is registered special commercial and still falls under the exemption.

I just get tired of having to prove innocence. The farm truck has red fuel in it. It is exempt as a farm vehicle as per NYS law. My work truck has fully road taxed gasoline in it. (and it goes through 30K miles of it every year).

When I pay my taxes I ask two things: 1. PLOW MY ROAD!!! 2. Leave me alone. Simple, yes. The problem is that both keep happening less and less.

One last thing. If YOU are close enough to my house to see someone, chances are YOU are doing something you shouldn't be.

KsM715

Like I said, if its exempt I have no problem. You get stopped, and you prove your exempt then theres no problem. What you have to realize is there is certain things you have to do to get exempt, if you thing that is to much of a hassle then pay the tax. Thats how it works, nothing in life is free, you have to work for it.

dstang97

Now if only they could tax energy, we could get money from bicyclists and walkers. They use the road to and do not pay the same tax.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I am curious if there are any state or federal laws that exempt people with hybrid or electric cars from paying road tax?

How fair is it for them to get away with using the road without paying tax while we have to pay just because we burn petroleum fuel.

What about other alternative fuels like LP or Natural Gas. Do they have road tax in their cost?

Who said anything about FAIR roflroflroflroflroflroflroflroflrofl, FAIR and GOVERNMENT are not even in the same dictionary

Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks