• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

ATF red dye?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ford Mechanic

It's up to you to prove you paid taxes , black fuel would most likely be considered un-taxed without a blenders license and records of mileage and amount of blend fuel used . They would also want records of quarterly taxes being paid .
Hit the nail right on the head. DOT is just used to assosiating red with non-taxed and tickets, so a officer may not realize the same is true for black. I keep a binder in the truck with a copy of my blender reports in case of any questions. I was told I this was good enough for NC DOT by NC dept. of Rev. and the head of the Highway patrol station in my area.2cents

svd dragunov

So what if you actually are running old diesel? (which ive done) Also in new mexico you are allowed to mix WMO into diesel. just not in 2007 or later vehicles. (federal law)

and after speaking wih my local DOT officers i was told as long as its not offroad fuel. they really didnt care. you results may vary. now i could see if i was running 100% WMO then yes they could raise a stink. but at what point does it become a fuel additive?

Ford Mechanic

Don't know dude, just as a side note VA has already done this and NC is trying to do the same. There is a additional tax on hybrid and electric vehicles due to they feel they arn't paying their fair share for use of the roads. It's something like $100-150 a year. NC has gone so far as to not allowed the car manufacturer Tesla Motors to sell cars directly to NC residents! Don't know what exactly that constutiues cause I haven't read the whole bill being discussed (NC SB 327).

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So what if you actually are running old diesel? (which ive done) Also in new mexico you are allowed to mix WMO into diesel. just not in 2007 or later vehicles. (federal law)

and after speaking wih my local DOT officers i was told as long as its not offroad fuel. they really didnt care. you results may vary. now i could see if i was running 100% WMO then yes they could raise a stink. but at what point does it become a fuel additive?
You should go back and read post #91 .

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You should go back and read post #91 .
OK, for those troops who didn't take this advice..... Here's POST #91:

For those of you just joining in on this conversation and anybody else, please refrain from posting ways to try to circumvent the laws. We will not tolerate the use of our forum to talk about ways to break laws. Thank you.

Ford Mechanic

Point well taken Chaplin and porky, 100% legal here and covering my butt! Just trying to show that weather the LEO realizes it waste oil, veggie oil, and mabey kerosene are equivalent to non tax, red, or off road diesil unless other steps are taken.

Squirt-Truck

Master Chief
Steel Soldiers Supporter
FWIW, got curious about the comment that a 0.5 micron filter will remove the color. (This did not sound correct.) So. . . . we ran some through a 0.45 micron filter and guess what, still as red as ever. So we tried a 0.2 micron filter, still as red as ever. It is in solution, and cannot be filtered out, even the GCMS does not filter it out, just gives it a known peak and goes on. This issue also means that even if UV exposure will lessen the color, the chemical tracer still exist and that is what they have been making the proof on for the fines. The DOT has gotten far more detailed in looking for the red, they will fine for just a few PPM. Depending on the officer that is checking, even black fuel, from WMO, will get bad attention, even with a legit excuse.

plym49

This thread has me thinking, isn't some gasoline red? I doubt that anyone ever runs straight gasoline, but Murphy's Law states that some day someone will be doing emergency repair with only gasoline available to refuel. Or, would the inspectors at that point simply smell the gasoline?

I keep all fuel receipts and mileage in the truck and only run road diesel. But how would I know if there are still a few red ppm floating around due to a PO?

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yea dipstick so go find as cop. Such a lawyer as you can figure out how to get around the statute of limitations. Trying to help a brother out is beyond some people. Geesh!
I assume this is directed at me. I guess I've been called worse than a dipstick (or a lawyer for that matter).

I just don't think it's very smart to brag about breaking the law and then lying to a judge. And you're "trying to help a brother out" by advocating lying to a judge?

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This thread has me thinking, isn't some gasoline red? I doubt that anyone ever runs straight gasoline, but Murphy's Law states that some day someone will be doing emergency repair with only gasoline available to refuel. Or, would the inspectors at that point simply smell the gasoline?

I keep all fuel receipts and mileage in the truck and only run road diesel. But how would I know if there are still a few red ppm floating around due to a PO?
They used to have red dyed gasoline. They've done away with it since most off-road equipment has went to diesel. In TN you can still deduct your taxes you pay for off-road gas. It's a form you fill out at the end of the year and they send you a refund.

Beyond Biodiesel

OK, for those troops who didn't take this advice..... Here's POST #91:
This is a good point; however, understanding the law is important for anyone who is making recycled fuels. Last year I investigated the laws surrounding alternative fuel making. It turns out there is an exemption amount. I think it is 250 gallons per quarter anyone can make and burn without needing a permit.

If you are driving around a truck that gets 10-20MPG and it has 100 gallon tanks, and you are 1000 miles from home, then it is going to be hard to prove you only burn 250 gallons a quarter. So, you can buy a permit for any fuel amount, say 250 gallons, and it does not cost anywhere near as much as the fuel at the pump, or the fine, because you are just paying the taxes on that fuel. Then put that permit in your glove box, so you have it handy if the DOT pulls you over for a tank dip.

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
This thread is getting as bad as the COUNTLESS Deuce Insurance threads. PEOPLE...

Yes, there is a federal law in place that requires you to run ULSD in all 2007 and later vehicles.

No, you cannot buy regular "High Sulfer" diesel any longer

No, you cannot run "Red, untaxed, offroad diesel, home heating oil, WMO or home brewed biodiesel" LEGALLY without paying taxes on it first.

No, there is not one universal answer as the how much you can run before it becomes an additive, and how you can get around the law.

Asking someone in NC how much you can use of anything in OK, or MA or OH will do you no good.

EACH STATE HAS DIFFERENT LAWS AS TO WHAT YOU CAN USE AND HOW MUCH OF IT YOU CAN USE. THEY ALSO HAVE DIFFERENT LAWS REGARDING DO-IT-YOURSELF BLENDERS AND PAYING THE TAXES ON THE FUEL YOU USE. IF YOU WANT TO KNOW, CHECK YOUR LOCAL AND STATE LAWS.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Tom, I'd like to know what NY laws are, so I can run free fuels.

Can someone please find out and post up for me.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
My question is this, If I have a GA. blenders license ( if there is such a thing), I keep all my needed papers with me, WILL other states HONOR the GA. blenders license to cover the RED if I have fuel receipts from other states along with GA. ??????

plym49

My question is this, If I have a GA. blenders license ( if there is such a thing), I keep all my needed papers with me, WILL other states HONOR the GA. blenders license to cover the RED if I have fuel receipts from other states along with GA. ??????
Not a lawyer; nevertheless I'd say 'yes' because otherwise they would be in restraint of trade.

Ford Mechanic

I would think so, I would think it would be the same as filling up with taxed diesil from GA and making a trip to SC and back. You paid tax on it once already. I could see a issue like where semi's have to run fuel stickers due to amount of fuel cairried on board and projected range of the vehicle. But they are commercial, personal vehicles are exempt from this. But you may also get a tail hole for a LEO that make you show it in court.....2cents

Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks