• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

attempted theft

Shadrach

Someone attempted to steal my M35a2 in the last few days. :evil: It was parked at my fathers house. Since he was at the VA monday and home all day sunday I figure the attempt was made sometime during the day monday. The steering wheel is badly broken. To add insult to injury they also slashed the drivers side front tire. :evil::evil: I have a spare tire but, no spare steering wheel. If anyone knows of a good source for one please let me know.

paradeduty

D--n - really sorry to hear that. At least they didn't get the truck. I've been there - big sinking pit in your gut feeling. I guess consider it a warning and do the best you can to "secure" the truck. I don't know if an alarm is possible, maybe at least a kill switch, or I guess have to break down and find new storage. This too shall pass. Take care. Dave

roady

That stinks. I am sure someone here will chime in with a steering wheel for you. This site is full of good people helping each other out. If I had one it would be yours.

ALFA2

Shadrach, sorry to hear about your truck, but you can do several things to prevent followup of the same. Unnecessary damage usually indicates that someone had the time to cause it, and was not concerned for the consequences of it. This is usually someone who underestimated the truck, and were unhappy that they could not get it, so the tire damage is to get back at you.

To deal with this issue, you need to know who is so brave there, and to do that, you need to see them. Fry electronics carried a set up of wireless infrared cameras, some with sound some without, all the parts together composed a kit that you can hook up to a wireless internet, to go straight to you computer's hard drive. A large hard drive can have live uninterrupted 48 Hours of full motion video of your truck, or much much longer if it is motion sensor activated... Price I remember was $ 178.00 - 240.00 depending on all of the features included, 3years ago. I believe they also have a motion detector feature built in as an option. With this set up, you will get a good look at you Problem, while it takes place, and you will know exactly who to talk to. If you are so inclined police in most states will accept security camera footage identifying the Individual as proof felony, if you choose to have that prosecuted. If not, at least you can get a police report with the video, for insurance or other uses. In the past One camera in the cab and 3 from different outside angles have proven very effective, since the new cameras are very sharp and clean, and show enough detail to see and Identify faces at 20+ feet at night. Day pictures are U tube quality or close enough. Take a look, if fry's electronics is not price friendly or not enough quality for your application, look on the web for similar items. Good luck with your repairs.

Hope it helps.

ALFA2

Reactions: FMJ

ARYankee

Hey Shad,
Sorry to hear about that. That is really messed up. I'm over here in Memphis, I could check Memphis Equipment and see what one will run you. All you have to do is pay for the steering wheel, no charge for shipping and handling. I could probably meet you some where this weekend to give it to you. Just let me know.

firefox

General
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Throttle stop lock

I took a piece of 1/8" x1" aluminum flat I had laying around and cut off a couple of inches.
Then I bent it around the shaft of the throttle stop
in the form of a "U" so that I could slip it onto the shaft easily. IE to prevent it from being pushed in.
Then I drilled a hole through the ends of the flat
so that I could put a small padalock through holes,
thus preventing it from being removed.

I was also lucky that a chain was installed so that I could lock the steering wheel.

These are not foolproof, but will help to slow people down.

Bruce

airmech3839

I useually pull the plug out of the back of the start switch.... but most people dont know how to crank it anyway... I am sorry for what you are going thru! Hope that it can be resolved soon and you can find a better way of protecting it and/or catching the punk who did it!!

I had a vehicle broken into once a long time ago. They tried to steal the stereo, but only ruined it. They broke out not one but two windows, and then tried to steal the speakers, and only tore them up as well. They did steal some CDs and that sucked because it one of them was John Mellencamp's greatest hits.
I took a regular infrared motion detector from Lowe's and ran a long wire to a small light on my nitestand. When motion would trip it, the light would come on next to my bed, but nowhere else. it was a poor-boy's silent alarm. A few months went by, and I was almost ready to dismantle it, but then one night it came on. I got up and put my clothes and shoes on, armed myself with a .45 and went hunting for wabbits. My wife was wanting to call the police, but I planned on wounding the guy and dragging him inside to finish him off.
When I got outside, I found the source of the light was a cat. Since I like p**sy, I decided to go back to bed. :drool:

PS: What, you thought I was gonna admit to killing someone over a frickin' rust bucket. If they want it that bad, let me open the door for them. What goes around comes around. If someone asks you for your coat, give them your shirt as well...

pyrogod117

My town is pretty good, but occasionally you'll get some idiot teenagers who have no respect for anyone that will break in to cars or houses. My mom's car was broken into, but they got nothing. But they better hope I'm not up if they try something like that again. I have a German Shepherd who really doesn't like people invading "her territory".

So aside from fuel stops or battery cut offs, you can't secure a deuce much more? Although I doubt anyone will try coming onto my property beyond the edge of the street.

M35Brown

Shadrach;

Call Mark, at H&T Offroad, in Tullahoma TN. 931-247-8875
He should have a good steering wheel.

Install a CAT Master switch in the main battery cable, CAT P/N 7N0718 for $66.88

mistaken1

It's not like an M35 driving around town would not be noticed.....

More than likely punks looking to joy ride it to death and as others have stated when they could not get it to move punished you for their inability to steal your property.

But hey, come on, they are just misunderstood youth, it really is your fault because you have a good paying job and purchase the things you want, after all you own something that they deserve, it's not fair, since you are not willing to give to them according to their need it is okay that they tried to take what is rightfully due them......Where is the puking smilie? :rant:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks