• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

auto hauling military trailer

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I like the idea of a military trailer to pull behind a deuce; my SuperCrew stinks at pulling a little wimpy open car hauler and my Satellite....... Plus, with a mil trailer, you don't have to bother with lighting/braking conversion issues....

But judging from these replies, none of these trialers really seem that helpful in comparison to the wealth of simple lowboys out there...........

area52

My Comanche's wheelbase is 12' with 35" tires so its alittle more than 12' from the front of the front tire to the back of the back tire. I tossed around the idea of a generator trailer but would have to extend it. I figure if I am gonna fab something then it might as well be on something a little heavier duty.

As far as axles, it really doesn't matter if its single or dual.

I am really leaning toward the M200A1's that GL has up for auction. That way I can fab whatever bed design I want.

Junkyard Wars Crusher

12B20
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Recovry4x4 said:
Guys, for this type of info download TM 43-0001-31 from the TM section. Its the TACOM data sheets and has all this info for multitudes of vehicles . .
(I snipped this from another thread where rizzo was asking about weight of 5-ton wrecker- but it has relevance here )

If you haven't looked at Kenny's manual yet, you have to!!! It is loaded with hundreds of pictures, specs, dimensions, descriptions, weights, and more!
Seriously, it has everything (almost) in it. - Mules, Goats, 1/4 tons, M37, 5/4 tons (880s and 1008s), Humvees, deuces, 5-tons, HEMTT, tracked vehicles, tanks, and a HUGE section on trailers too! There are 667 pages!! It is the most comprehensive reference you can buy for FREE!

Here is the shortcut:
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/index.php?module=pagesetter&type=file&func=get&tid=1&fid=file&pid=78

Thanks Kenny for sharing!

jasonjc

You mite want to just look for a use flat bed trailer.
put a ring type hitch with surge brakes on it. and change the bulbs to LED's there are some that work on 12 and 24 volt. I think any military type trailer that is long will be 2-3 time heavyer than your jeep 4400lbs for jeep 5000-6000 trailer??? and only 134hp to go down the hiway???
just my $0.02
jason

area52

jasonjc said:
You mite want to just look for a use flat bed trailer.
put a ring type hitch with surge brakes on it. and change the bulbs to LED's there are some that work on 12 and 24 volt. I think any military type trailer that is long will be 2-3 time heavyer than your jeep 4400lbs for jeep 5000-6000 trailer??? and only 134hp to go down the hiway???
just my $0.02
jason
I think I would rather have military style trailer just to save the hassle of trying to adapt the turn signals and brakes and hitch.

As far as power goes, I plan on turning up the fuel and making some mods down the road to get the HP and torque up.

slash79

if you have a rock-crawler, just fab up some ramps and drive it into the back of your duece. the ramps wouldnt have to be very long, if you have enough ground clearance on your rig.

mangus580

Cabell, try putting a 12k bulldozer in the back... or better yet, on a 5k trailer behind it!!

with it in the back, it took me 2 hours to do a 45 minute drive rofl

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I usually tow and extra deuce behind my truck. Highway speeds haven't been a problem yet but not been to Colorado either. Guess you might say I carry a spare everything.

area52

Since the bed of a deuce is only 12' long and the wheelbase alone is over that, it don't fit too good. I saw a picture once of a Jeep Cherokee in the back of deuce and it barely fit with a wheelbase of about 108".

area52

trailer

marksgarage2 said:
Here is a pic of the trailer I use for the rest of my trucks. Not military but it works well behind the deuce also.
so what did you have to do to that trailer to get it to tow behind the deuce?
as far as lights, hitch and brakes?

marksgarage2

For the lights you have 2 options. One is to tap into your existing wiring and change the bulbs to 24 volt on the traler. Or install secondary lighting which is what I am going to do seeing how I use it on many different trucks. The brakes can be run off one battery with a relay. Joe Young showed me that. I have a reese hitch installed for the hitch.

marksgarage2

Thanks DR, I just bought this truck. It sits on a 1 ton frame and has a 7.3 diesel w/banks turbo kit. 18 mpg city 23 hwy. And the best part... front and rear heat and air cond.

NEIOWA

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Why no haul it on the deuce bed itself? Get a smaller (M105) trailer for your camping gear.
One member, Blake Shepard, hauls his M151 jeep on the deuce bed to Aberdeen this way and also brings his M105 trailer.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks