• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Aux Fuel Storage for the MEP-002A Genset

joesco

I am still working on the recon of my MEP-002a, but I am thinking ahead as far as auxiliary fuel storage. I am thinking of a 30 or 55 gallon drum setup added to my trailer. My question is... What are you folks using for auxiliary fuel storage, drums, tanks and if you are using drums, plastic or steel? Any suggestions, much appreciate. Thanks!

RIrvin

Because of limited space and difficulty moving large fuel containers, I have used smaller (16 Gal.) metal drums. My understanding is that long term storage of diesel fuel is best accomplished in full metal containers to mitigate chemicals leaching from the container and to lessen moisture accumulation.
FYI : Note leaking at base of drum...stopped with JB weld applied to drum lower crimped seal.

Attachments

Polycop

I picked up my drum adapter (adapter, two pieces of threaded pipe that screws into it and the hose threads into the adapter) from Delks. I'm thinking it was around $50 (+ or -).

On drums, I read where it was best to use metal for fuel as petroleum can attack the plastic causing it to leak / breakdown.

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a 100 gallon aluminum truck tank that I will mount on the MEP's trailer. It will be as portable as the GenSet is and preclude the problem of rust build up. Add some "conditioner" for good measure. Keep it full to minimize condensation.

steelandcanvas

I picked up my drum adapter (adapter, two pieces of threaded pipe that screws into it and the hose threads into the adapter) from Delks. I'm thinking it was around $50 (+ or -).

On drums, I read where it was best to use metal for fuel as petroleum can attack the plastic causing it to leak / breakdown.
Both you and RIrvin mention not use plastic to store fuel, so I guess I'll use the drums for WMO and used coolant. Thanks for the lead on Delk's for the adapter.

joesco

16 or 30 gallon closed lid steel drums, I guess are the way to go. I did not know that about plastic! Thanks!!!! Your setup looks so clean and organized! Steel drums used to be a dime a dozen up here in NH, but it seems everything is going plastic.

Do you have source for your 16 gallon drums. I found one company on Ebay, but they are pricey. Once they are filled do you have to vent the drum? I know years ago, I had some Number 2 home heating fuel in a 55 gallon drum and it almost collapse on itself because I did crack the small bung nut to vent it. Are the newer drums vented? Thanks!

Because of limited space and difficulty moving large fuel containers, I have used smaller (16 Gal.) metal drums. My understanding is that long term storage of diesel fuel is best accomplished in full metal containers to mitigate chemicals leaching from the container and to lessen moisture accumulation.
FYI : Note leaking at base of drum...stopped with JB weld applied to drum lower crimped seal.

joesco

Yes, thanks the 002A is the same. I found a bung adapter and a 20-25' length of fuel line in the toolbox! Can't wait to get him running!

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Because diesel fuel doesn't last more than about two years without degrading, I use the fuel tanks on my M35A2 and newly acquired M35A3 deuces, along with two John Deere tractors for fuel storage. I always keep them topped off. My MEP-003A came with the auxillliary hose and bung hole adapter. I simply drive a deuce or tractor near the genset and pull fresh fuel to replenish the tank. The MEP-003A uses about 1 gallon of diesel per hour and I believe the MEP-002A pulls about half of that. Between the genset fuel tank, the deuce tanks, the tractor tanks, and 20 gallons of fuel in cans, I can run for several days without difficulty and I don't have a fuel degrading problem. It is also very easy to keep the deuce and tractor tanks full as opposed to 55 gallon drums. Once per year, I drain the genset tank into a tractor and burn it, replacing with fresh fuel, since I keep the genset and cans full of off-road diesel which can't be burned in the deuces without risking a fine.

Isaac-1

As long as you keep the moisture out Diesel can last a long time. Over on the smokstak in the generator section there are a couple of members that have stories of successfully using VERY old diesel fuel (one with drums left over from WW2 in Alaska, another supports a site that last filled their large tank in the 1970's).

PsycoBob

Main bungs on drums and mil plastic 5g(20L) cans is 2" NPT. I think the older metal cans are the same.

My local HEP sells 2-line bung adapters for about $35. Mil compression-fit adapters for 5-gal cans can be used for bigger drums, if you add lengths of pipe to the pickup tube. I found a pair of screw-in mil adapters with 3 hose fittings, presumably suction, return and vent. One even has a screw-off top with a large pass-thru to allow you to fill the tank without removing the adapter.

/edit

Found a few interesting items over here. Intended for plastic drums, but workable for metal.
http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=24728

Last edited:

RIrvin

The 16 gallon metal drums were a bit hard to locate. Farmers used to get grease in them. Best source I found was a local oil company which moved grease / oils from tank car to drums.
I paid $24 for one which subsequently leaked so they gave me a second (had same problem) . Fixed both easily w/ JB Weld. Important for me to be able to move fuel from gas station to home. 55 Gallon drums (Craig's List) were cheaper but just too large for inside of my Trooper. I also have some 5 gallon Jerry cans to get me a week's supply of diesel.
No venting required in storage ,assuming temperature stabile environment. Just be sure to keep full and add appropriate stabilizer / biocide /enzyme as was mentioned by others.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The 16 gallon metal drums were a bit hard to locate. Farmers used to get grease in them. Best source I found was a local oil company which moved grease / oils from tank car to drums.
I paid $24 for one which subsequently leaked so they gave me a second (had same problem) . Fixed both easily w/ JB Weld. Important for me to be able to move fuel from gas station to home. 55 Gallon drums (Craig's List) were cheaper but just too large for inside of my Trooper. I also have some 5 gallon Jerry cans to get me a week's supply of diesel.
No venting required in storage ,assuming temperature stabile environment. Just be sure to keep full and add appropriate stabilizer / biocide /enzyme as was mentioned by others.
There are normally a lot of companies that will deliver offroad diesel to your home, which saves you the problem of handling 55-gallon drums. Even 16 gallon drums are quite heavy.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks