• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Aux Fuel Storage for the MEP-002A Genset

joesco

Nice way to go, but in New England, when you do find them at the rallies and fleet markets, that are pricey! Do have a source for the gerry's?

coyote62ny

i mounted my mep-003 on a pop up camper frame striped down to the bare frame rails welded 2 2x2 square tubing across the frame rails to line up with the holes in the skids on the genny bolted the genny to the 2x2s and got 2 18 gallon gas tanks out of a couple of junk boats a friend had they just fit across the frame so im going to mount them up under neath the genny and hook them to the aux pump with a fuel tank selector valve my brother got form work then im going to put hard wood planks across the frame under the genny to close up the under side and make it look neat and clean mabe poly the floor but got to wait till spring to cold in ny to work outside now

Beerslayer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Long Term Fuel Storage

This thread already has a lot of good information and seems like a good place to pose a question for the experts:

Is there any way to stabilize the B5 [5% biodiesel blend] mandated by law here in the NW for long term storage?

I would like to keep a full fuel tank for my standby generator, but B5 evidently starts to oxidize after six months or so. I already use PRI-D and a biocide but that does not help with the biodiesel component. Using the fuel up and replacing it is not a practical option in this case.

Is it even possible to stabilize B5 for storage for more than a year? Starting in 2012 B10 will be mandated :(

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That is an excellent question, but I'm afraid that it being in this tread it will not get much traffic. If you want answers, you may want to post a new thread.

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
As for fuel transfer, the stock one that came in the MEP accessory box is hard to beat. It fits the jerry can/55 gallon (with included extension), 2" NPT thread.....190546874411, has a good picture of it, in case somebody wants to make one!

I hope that a new thread gets started, about the above fuel stability concern!

scrapdaddy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Rosco, that's a nice set-up. Exactly want I want to do. Did you buy that tank new are used somewhere. I've got the two generators mounted, removing the front one and mounting a tank. Now I know what kind. Thanks

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a couple of "over the road" trucks and the tank came on one of them, a long time ago, when I changed stuff around. I thought that would be a good place to store it. Don't try to buy a new one, but go to a wrecking yard. You might have to look for a while, but they are around. The size and gallons will vary. Even on a MEP 03A, probably a 100 gallons is plenty or overkill. But in this case, its what we had.

As above, perhaps fuel stability is a concern, but more to the point is to be sure the fuel is winter grade (if climate matters), if its going to be in there a while. If the fuel is clean and dry (no water), I have never had a problem.

Boatcarpenter

Speaking of auxillary fuel supplies for the 002a, I tried mine for the first time today. Had the set running, switched over to the aux. position with a gerry can hooked up. Main tank was below 3/4 full. Didn't time it, but after a while, (maybe 1/2 hour) the main tank was one line above 3/4 full. Ran for another hour or so and the aux. supply kept the main tank tank at the same one line above 3/4 full. So it works!!
BC

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks