• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

AWOLs 1997 M1097A2 Build

Maxjeep1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So, messing around with the truck some more. Runs like a Swiss watch, but it doesn’t like abrupt applications of throttle, followed by letting off the pedal immediately. It stumbles and dies when returning to idle. Fires right back up instantly though.

So far I've crawled all over it looking for small pinhole leaks in the rubber fuel lines, and found one that was cracked that I missed the first time around. Fixed it but still experiencing the same issue.

Any ideas where to go with it next?
Add some diesel Kleen! My truck did the same thing and after a few miles it stopped…

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What were these two vent lines off the fuel tank supposed to run to? They were disconnected and bypassed when I got the truck. I haven't reinstalled them yet since putting the tank in.

View attachment 919915
You sure they are vent lines?
Most trucks will have a second set of lines installed that don't go anywhere; they are intended to go to the heater in the ambulance body as far as I know.

Awol

You sure they are vent lines?
Most trucks will have a second set of lines installed that don't go anywhere; they are intended to go to the heater in the ambulance body as far as I know.
I just assumed they were vents, but now that you mention it, the lines they connect to on the sending unit run to the bottom of the tank, so they must fees and return fuel I think?

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just assumed they were vents, but now that you mention it, the lines they connect to on the sending unit run to the bottom of the tank, so they must fees and return fuel I think?
as far as I know there is
1 fuel line to engine
1 return line from engine
1 vent line up to near air filter canister
1 auxiliary feed line
1 auxiliary return line

the auxiliary lines can be either ambulance heater, or now that I think about it there were some comms type boxes that had a generator that would require both a feed and return.

So those lines are unnecessary as far as I know.

Awol

as far as I know there is
1 fuel line to engine
1 return line from engine
1 vent line up to near air filter canister
1 auxiliary feed line
1 auxiliary return line

the auxiliary lines can be either ambulance heater, or now that I think about it there were some comms type boxes that had a generator that would require both a feed and return.

So those lines are unnecessary as far as I know.
I believe this truck was loaded with electronics, so it might of had a generator on it at some point.

I'm getting ready to bedline the inside of the truck. I'll take pics and document the process.

Awol

Looks Great! What did you use? And how many coats?
I used Raptor liner with their spray gun. Did one heavy coat on everything. If I bought more, I probably would have done a 2nd coat just for more thickness, but everything is covered extremely well for one coat.

I recovered the driver seat so far. Looks good in black

20240328_155303.jpg

Awol

Well the first drive around the block was a partial success. Truck ran good, shifts great, and mechanically seems all there.

That said, the passenger rear tire decided to self destruct about 1 mile into the drive. Limped home on the runflat lol

So up next is new tires. Still trying to decided between staying with the 16.5 beadlocks or switch to a set of 17" H2 wheels I have. Decisions decisions...

Awol

Scored a set of 37x13.50R17 Cooper Discoverer STT Pros last night. Couldn't pass up the deal. So it looks like I'll be ditching the stock beadlocks and stepping up to a 17" wheel.

20240402_122629.jpg20240402_122636.jpg

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
H2 rims will fit with some minor modifications, for a reasonable price.

Hummer H1 17” split rims will fit but are pricy. You can keep Runflats with these.

Cepek 17” rims are an awesome choice. They have correct offset and take over 3000 lbs per corner. He makes custom Runflats for these.

Awol

H2 rims will fit with some minor modifications, for a reasonable price.

Hummer H1 17” split rims will fit but are pricy. You can keep Runflats with these.

Cepek 17” rims are an awesome choice. They have correct offset and take over 3000 lbs per corner. He makes custom Runflats for these.
I'd love some H1 17s, but jeez they're expensive!

I have a few different 17s I can choose from right now. I have a set of Soft 8s that'll probably look pretty good on it.

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Happy to help!
Hey, you need some footmen on the fenders and in the bed! The 1" can usually be found elsewhere on the truck, look behind the drivers seat or on the top of the inside of the windshield, for instance.
Inside the bed on each side is supposed to be a long flat one that has been hard to find (My truck hasn't any either.). I wish you'd mentioned it, or I'd asked. I just bought a universal mini-bender so I can make some. If I get it working I'll send you two to test.

Also, if you get up the energy, a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser works wonders on vinyl soft tops. You'd be surprised how good they can look with a deep (Mr.) clean.

BDGR

Awol

Happy to help!
Hey, you need some footmen on the fenders and in the bed! The 1" can usually be found elsewhere on the truck, look behind the drivers seat or on the top of the inside of the windshield, for instance.
Inside the bed on each side is supposed to be a long flat one that has been hard to find (My truck hasn't any either.). I wish you'd mentioned it, or I'd asked. I just bought a universal mini-bender so I can make some. If I get it working I'll send you two to test.

Also, if you get up the energy, a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser works wonders on vinyl soft tops. You'd be surprised how good they can look with a deep (Mr.) clean.

BDGR
Honestly, I didn't even realize I was missing them. The truck came without a curtain, so I completely overlooked them lol

I think I have them inside the truck for a 2 man setup. I can rob them out of there.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks