• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Axle leaking

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I noticed that I have a rear axle leaking. I took the hub apart and I had gear oil in with the bearing grease and leaking on to the inter wheel.
I looked at all the seals and they looked ok. The little cork key-way looked ok also.
Is RTV the way to go and not use the cork seal or the outer hub paper gasket?

Is there anything more I need to be looking for?
Have seals on order.

Thanks!:beer:

Attachments

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had all ready cleaned the vents.
But I will check them again!!

I always like pic!!!

Thanks!

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Often, they stick closed, even after cleaning.

ODw/envy

Albert,

Did you buy another truck?

Thanks for the post I just noticed a similar problem with my front passenger side today! Time to get out the long bar I guess!:-(

I had a rear axle seal go bad on an '85 dually, prior to my purchase, years ago. I changed the seal and cleaned up the still solid looking pads to put back in service. Being thorough, as I sometimes am, I pulled the other side to check everything out. To my horror the pads where crumbling away and everything else appeared to have been super heated. Yeah, baby got a new set of shoes (and pads) front and rear. And a price new drum.

The lose of friction due to the gear oil in the drum caused the others to work overtime, which lead to the early failure of the other side.

My point is, you may want to check the others. The leak on the truck in question was minor, causing no real deficit in fluid level, braking ability, or handling. It was barely evident, just a very small streak of fluid on the inside of the tire after the truck was parked for a couple of days. Then, driving for some distance would show the slightest amount of fluid.

Good luck with it.

Ryan

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You also need to check the grease slinger plate holes. If they remain clear sometimes you get luck and it won't get slop on the brake shoes. That is the plate in you last pic and I do believe the Deuce has them. Try and look inbetween the plate and the drum and clear them with air or spray cleaner.

Last edited:

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You also need to check the grease slinger plate holes. If they remain clear sometimes you get luck and it won't get slop on the brake shoes. That is the plate in you last pic and I do believe the Deuce has them. Try and look inbetween the plate and the drum and clear them with air or spray cleaner.
James, Thanks and I will check them.
I did get a little on the shoes.:(

ALA2

I THOUGHT I READ THAT GUYS WERE using Rtv for the key way
sorry if that is not correct.
we used to heat brake shoes with a torch to lightly burn off oil then scuf with aggresive sand paper

ALA2

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I did not have a cork wedge when I did my 5 ton and just used a peice of paper towel and a flat blade screw driver. Wedged it so tight felt like a rock then put on the locking ring to hold it in place. Lots of miles and no problems.

neilhendrix

In Memorial
In Memorial
All the info is great here. I`ve listened and read alot about leaks and seals. I`ve pulled mine (1 wheel) about 6 times. Vents , replace, or relocate to higher ground with hose. leave open. screen over the open hose. Check the fluid level in the rear end. Good luck and keep us posted.

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter

kennys@wi.rr.com

Yes I use it there as well. The hard part is making sure the key way is clean of greese before you use the RTV. Let's face it when you slide the bearings on it tends to fill the key way with greese again and the last thing I want to do is chance hitting the bearing with break cleaner when cleaning the key way. But I use a small dab of RTV before I put the outer seal on and then a bit more after the seal is on. It will push the RTV up under the bearing and help seal the whole unit better. Just my opinion so take it for what it is. I'm sure there are plenty of guys out there that have reasons I'm wrong for doing so.

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes I use it there as well. The hard part is making sure the key way is clean of greese before you use the RTV. Let's face it when you slide the bearings on it tends to fill the key way with greese again and the last thing I want to do is chance hitting the bearing with break cleaner when cleaning the key way. But I use a small dab of RTV before I put the outer seal on and then a bit more after the seal is on. It will push the RTV up under the bearing and help seal the whole unit better. Just my opinion so take it for what it is. I'm sure there are plenty of guys out there that have reasons I'm wrong for doing so.
Kenny, Any and all inputs are always welcome!!!![thumbzup]
Thanks!!