• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Axle Vents

fsearls92

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well I ordered two sets of axle vents for my duece and five ton. When they came in they are not the same setup as what is on my trucks. The ones that are on the trucks are spring loaded and you can push down on them and then they pop up when you let go. The ones that came in the mail don't. So I called the other military surplus truck shops and everyone says they don't have any spring loaded ones. Where can I find the ones that are spring loaded since these trucks go in the water pretty often?

Kohburn

run hoses to a central vent, or better yet hook up a low pressure regulator and run 1psi of pressure to them to keep water out.

fsearls92

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In the pictures I can't tell what is threaded into the axle. Didi you just pop the top off of the existing vent? Did you also tie in the transfercase and transmission to that vent line?

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In the pictures I can't tell what is threaded into the axle. Didi you just pop the top off of the existing vent? Did you also tie in the transfercase and transmission to that vent line?

fsearls92, The thread is 1/8 npt and I did replace the vents.
I did not on the M923, but when I do my M35A2 I will tie in the Transfer-case and Transmission.
I used 5/16" tubing.

dikwks

For less than $50 in parts from Lowe's, I installed a vent system in my deuce. It stopped a leak in the right front axle seal, and one in the transfer case. The trans case actually puffed at me when I took the vent out. The hole in the axle was 1/8 NPT. I used 1/4 poly ethylene tubing like the kind with which you would feed an icemaker. Run the tube along the brake lines for the most part and break into it as needed IWO the trans and t case. End it all up with a fuel filter and VIOLA, end of problem. :grd:

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Awesome, thanks guys I will go ahead and do it on both trucks. Probably will be cheaper than the vents cost me in the first place.
NO, not cheaper then the vent cost, BUT a LOT CHEAPER then fixing a bad seal, oiled lining caused be a STUCK vent that pressured the housing or case

fsearls92

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok, well I finally got around to doing the central vent system last night and ran out of light and have two questions. The first one being, is there a breather on the transmission? I looked everywhere for one and can't find it, if there is one. The second is where do you find a filter that will fit into the 1/4 hose at the end?

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes the trans. should have one on top, My trans did not. See pic.
I just used a little breather and K&N makes little ones also.
There is a thread about the K&N ones but I can not find it.

Attachments

fsearls92

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah I can not find one for the life of me on top of the transmission of my duece. I guess I will keep looking for it. How you said yours didn't have a breather on top of the transmission, did you add one?

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
You can use a cheap in line gas filter, the papper one works fine, at the filter eng, put a u in the line so the filter hangs down

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In my thought the axle vent that have the spring are going to let the axle have some positive pressure. The small positive is a good thing for transfer case and the axles when fording. To me a little positive would hold the seal closed and not push out fluid but only when the vent gets dirty and over pressure starts would it be a problem. Think if were never to ford then an extened line without a pressure vent would be ok. Then if you thought that you were going to ford then have the pressure type vent on the extened line or just where it is and working right.

Clay James

I did the vent line system on my M109A3 so far and my M35A2 next. To tie in the trans and transfer case I put a elbow on the transfer case, ran a line from that to the trans where I installed a tee fitting, then ran the tube from that to another tee on the firewall to connect it to the line from the axles and ran a line up near the air cleaner and put a filter on the end to keep junk and bugs out. Total run on sentence.

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
The bad thing about the vents is that the axle is HOT which causes air expansion and a bit of pressure which the vent dumps. Going into the water, the water cools the axle, the hot expanded air cools, shrinks, the vent does NOT allow incoming air in to replace the lost hot vented air, so a BIT of VACUUM is now present, this draws IN a bit of water though the seals.

• Wow
Reactions: HDN

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I cant see that much cooling going on when you just crossed a creek or small lake. I would think the pressure would still be there and aid the seals. Now if it was real hot and you went swimming for the day I could see the cooling thing maybe. For every foot of water we go there is and increase of pressure in fresh water of 0.432.

fsearls92

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well I got it finished this afternoon after school. It was really easy and hopefully now I wont blow any seals. My old spring type valves cased me to blow two axle seals on the front. Hopefully that will never happen again. Thanks for all the info!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks