• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

AZ will not title HMMWVs as of today

ALFA2

Individual offices and third party MVD providers, have a lot of local discretion as to how and what they interpret. A title from another state, not a form 97, will get you an easier time. If it states American General vehicle... will go much easier on you. If you go in there saying it's a military Hummer, them they will get all concerned, and make difficulties for you.

Hope it helps.
ALFA2

Monkeyboyarmy

A "home made,assembled" vehicle does not need to meet dot standards. But you would need to document where pieces parts came from and have the vehicle inspected (at least in Ohio).

Snuffy74

Try one of those satellite offices... they aren't really MVD but they contract to do titles and registration. My M1009 title and reg took about 5 minutes. There's one up here in Kingman on Stockton Hill road set up in a title loan place.

Tanner

My friend here in Salt Lake Ut says the same thing here.He was going to get one from DRMO just north of here but they told him he could only register it for off road use only.If they are so unsafe why can the military drive them on the road?I have driven quite of few of these in my military time and really dont see why they would be unsafe for highway use.
The vehicles were designed from the beginning as being FOR MILITARY USE. The intention was not that they would later be sold for civvy use.

'Tanner'

Tanner

Time for a lawyer. AZ MVD tried doing the same thing for imported skylines saying they didn't meet DOT regs.
The imported Nissan Skyline R33/34's NEVER met regs established by the EPA/DOT/NHTSA... ever. Guys tried to bring them in on the coattails of the R32's that were converted by a couple Federally-certified importers - and the Feds have been scooping up/impounding/crushing the illegal Skylines. The imported cars didn't have US DOT-approved safety glass, emissions controls, crash certifications, etc...

'Tanner'

Last edited:

Tanner

What about the H1? Why is that safe for on road use?
Because the H1 came through specific design channels & had changes made to it that appeased the Feds from the get-go... the H1 cannot be compared to the HMMWV, as even though ~ 99% of the parts are the same, AM General never had the HMMWV certified by the Feds for road use after the military was done with them. And the argument about soldiers driving HMMWV's on the highway is another mute point - people have yet to learn that military vehicles used by military personnel don't have to follow the same rules.

HMMWV buyers appear to keep trying to circumvent the rules on registering the HMMWV, then use the argument >> 'what about a pre-'68 (fill in the blank car/truck) that didn't have seatbelts, or collapsible steering columns, or park locks on the transmission, or...' - when said argument is mute. Certain states have ruled that the HMMWV is for off-road use only, and now you're trying to fight a law/rule that has been on the ebooks? Or - worse yet - you want to circumvent the law/rule by having the HMMWV titled as something that it isn't, in order to get one for your personal use?? And possibly lousing things up for others that have sourced legitimately registerable OD trucks that aren't on any DMV radar screen?

Why not simply buy an H1 & paint it OD?

"T"

Tanner

I'd definately try another DMV or two until you find one that'll do it. Any small town DMV's you can go to?
If one DMV office in the state can overrule the ruling of another DMV office in the same state, they why the &$*% would the state set laws/rules making the HMMWV unregisterable?? :cookoo:

'Tanner'

jwaller

If one DMV office in the state can overrule the ruling of another DMV office in the same state, they why the &$*% would the state set laws/rules making the HMMWV unregisterable?? :cookoo:

'Tanner'
it happens all the time. no 2 people will interpret the same rule the same way.

jwaller

Funny, isn't it? If the law/rule/regulation/etc., states 'don't register an HMMWV', then what is so hard to understand? :lol:

'Tanner'
you would think so but then again your assuming that the person's working at the DMV are the best and brightest we have. rofl

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
The vehicles were designed from the beginning as being FOR MILITARY USE. The intention was not that they would later be sold for civvy use.

'Tanner'
Using this AUGREMENT , then NO MV in private hands can be registered for the road

Last edited:

Haasino

Copy of letter from AM General to Connecticut DMV - this basic letter has 'supposedly' been sent to the DMV's in all 50 states...

http://olive-drab.com/images/AMG_letter000314.jpg

'Tanner'
A lot of people seem to feel that letter has some sort of legislative standing... it doesn't. That is a legal CYA response letter from a private corporation to the Connecticut DMV. All it says is that AM General never intended HMMWVs to be in civilian hands, and that they do not condone HMMWVs being in civilian hands. If I t-bone a school bus in my M1026 and the angry parents sue me, the State of California, and AM General, AMG can wave their CYA letter in front of the judge and back away slowly toward the door.

As far as I know, no section of the California Vehicle Code states that HMMWVs are not to be registered. Even the DMV office that initially told me "no" didn't seem to care what AM General's opinion on the matter was... they just didn't want to deal with a non-standard VIN. Other states may differ, but I'd be surprised if they have written laws against titling HMMWVs.

While I agree that some of the methods used to title and register HMMWVs are a bit sketch, I personally have no uneasy feeling about how I got my title/reg... I made it very clear what I had, and DMV/CHP had no problem titling it as a '91 AMG UTL. It's possibly that both of them overlooked some federal DoT regulations in doing so... but then again, these trucks are also going on 20-25 years old, so who knows what kind of historical vehicle exemptions might have kicked in...

Haasino

That's what I got out of it. Since when do state DMV's take suggestions from a private company as law? (I guess now)...
It's also an 11 year-old letter... so even if there was a DMV that took it as law, it's not like they've got HMMWV owners walking in every day and the letter would probably be buried in a file cabinet somewhere.

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There is no law to not register HMMWVs. If anyone can show me one on the books of any state that makes it unlawful to register one for what it is I will give you a cash prize.

The fact that it does not meet NHSTA standards does not matter. IT was produced for the US military and is exempt from those standards and was/is used on the road for transport. The NHSTA has the opinion that a user of a vehicle can not dictate to subsequent owners of the vehicle its ability to be used on the road or not.

There is also currently no law revoking the exemption of US military vehicles from NHSTA rules on the books when sold to civilian operators.

The problem with registering them comes from DMV people making their own interpertation of the
laws. When pushed they have nothing to stand on.

Further to insinuate that all HMMWVs were registered under false pretence is crazy. My truck is titled as a AM General M998. Military humvee. The last 4 I owned were the same way.

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There is no law to not register HMMWVs. If anyone can show me one on the books of any state that makes it unlawful to register one for what it is I will give you a cash prize.

The fact that it does not meet NHSTA standards does not matter. IT was produced for the US military and is exempt from those standards and was/is used on the road for transport. The NHSTA has the opinion that a user of a vehicle can not dictate to subsequent owners of the vehicle its ability to be used on the road or not.

There is also currently no law revoking the exemption of US military vehicles from NHSTA rules on the books when sold to civilian operators.

The problem with registering them comes from DMV people making their own interpertation of the
laws. When pushed they have nothing to stand on.

Further to insinuate that all HMMWVs were registered under false pretence is crazy. My truck is titled as a AM General M998. Military humvee. The last 4 I owned were the same way.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks