• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

BAE systems 2001 M1088A1 any good?

hokanson86

Hey guys so Im looking at the 2001 BAE systems M1088A1 that's up for auction this month and im wondering if any one has any good or bad opinions of the BAE riggs. From what I have read the military would take older riggs in rough shape and they would go to red river army Depot and more or less get rebuilt by BAE. dose any one have first hand experience with any of these trucks? Do they have any perks to them or down falls. the only real difference I can see is color of course and the 2001 usually came with the old style light switch and this one has a new push button style. thanks guys

jmb6741

Steel Soldiers Supporter
One thing to consider with an A1 series truck is they have the 3126 CAT engine which is an electronic engine with more sensors and electronic fuel controls that may give problems over time. The older series trucks have the 3116 all mechanical engines that have basic fuel pedal and hand throttle controls that are cable actuated and far less sensors to go bad. I personally like the older trucks because they are easier to get running without having to have a CAT mechanic with a computer diagnose problems. The newer engines have more power and an exhaust brake which is pretty neat though. Other differences are the updated transmission controller and possibly LED lights, different door handles and fuse panels. Good luck and whatever you find out there!!

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The 3126's engine computer has a "hold up battery" that cannot be replaced, and is just about at end of life for this era truck. When it dies, the truck will not longer run. Then the real fun begins.

hokanson86

I do agree with all the little electrical Gremlins that you open your self up to with the 3126 vs the 3116 but are theses all problems specific to LMTVs or all Electronically controlled cat engines because cat has these engines in a lot of rigs from service rigs to class 3 trucks and motor homes. No one likes electrical problems but now days every thing has them once they get to a certain age. I like the extra power the 3126 offers and the exhaust brake coming factory. The main question I was looking to get advice on in this post was if people had any experience with BAE rebuilt trucks and if they offered an advantage to other trucks or if they just had a few upgrades that were mostly ascetic. NDT regarding this HOLD UP BATTERY when that goes dead do you just get a new ecu or what is the fix for that I havnt read much on this issue yet

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Regarding the ECU battery, fuzzytoaster on here just went through that. He had to replace the ECU, and Cat was not particularly helpful. He has a thread on the subject.

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
... are these all problems specific to LMTVs or all Electronically controlled cat engines...
It's not really anything specific to these trucks. I have an A0, but would much rather have a newer truck. Statistically, the newer trucks are significantly more reliable than the A0's (and the A0's are still far more reliable than any other truck the military had previously). So I've wondered why the newer trucks create the perception that they are more problematic (because statistically that's all it is, perception, not reality). What I think may be happening is a couple factors...

1.) A mechanical engine fails more gracefully (e.g. it begins to run rough, and you know it's time to work on it). In an electronic engine, it runs better longer, but the second any sensor or widget fails, the engine is completely useless until repaired.
2.) An electronic engine requires special electronic tools to interface with the engine. Those tools are expensive and/or difficult to find.
3.) An electronic engine requires a deeper knowledge and comfortability with electronics/computers and all the ways the various components are influencing the running of the engine. In short, they have a steeper learning curve or barrier to entry. Old fashioned shade-tree mechanics beware.

Here is a report on the FMTV's reliability...
ultrareliability_chart (1).png
(M44A3 is the family of trucks which includes the M35 "Duece and a half")

Last edited:

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
The other issue you run into is that any of the newer trucks the TMs aren't available hardly. Not to mention its harder to locate certain parts. Some of those 3126 motors were casted in France and are known to crack. Especially if they happened to use an older year motor in it. 97 to 99s were bad about it.

On that report that refers to A3 deuces. A totally different animal and basket of worms over a normal m35.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

spankybear

The 3126's engine computer has a "hold up battery" that cannot be replaced, and is just about at end of life for this era truck. When it dies, the truck will not longer run. Then the real fun begins.
I'd like to get my hands on a "bad" ECU with a dead battery. I think this is the replacement battery here. You would need to get a copy of the software before the battery went dead. I believe this can be done. With the amount of A1 with 3216s I think this may have some merit.

20180408050150_IMG_1145.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks