• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bang!! Pop-Pop-Pop-Pop....

ivbeenrokd

So we were driving to the Dandridge parade this morning on the interstate running around 2400-2500 RPM and all the sudden Bang!! Pop-Pop-Pop-Pop and some smoke came into the cab. I pulled over and the truck still seemed to be running okay but I couldn't locate the sound. We were only about a mile from the exit ramp so I drove it nice and easy and stopped at a gas station. I raised the hood and started it back up. Found there was compression blowing out where the blow-by tube connects to the valve covers and that's where the sound was coming from. Also some oil coming out at the same spot. Called the wrecker and took it home, no parade. I guess I'll be tearing the valve covers out next to look....

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1450558956.973240.jpg

ivbeenrokd

The tow was excellent I thought. Called several places that were busy. First place I called that could do it said $400 or more. Second place I called that said they could do it said around $125 and I said come get it! I paid them $140 and still felt like it was a great deal. They were there quickly and took great care to make sure it was delivered in good shape.

sigo

Lieutenant Colonel
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Make sure you post the outcome when you get it diagnosed or fixed. Hope it's not serious.

ivbeenrokd

https://vimeo.com/150683048

Jeepsinker, you are becoming my hero! LOL. It is a blown head gasket right where the two heads meet. I can't tell which one because I haven't taken the heads off yet but that's why it was making a popping sound since it was right in between the heads. Too much pressure for such a small space for that air to get out. Now the fun will begin.

dmetalmiki

Sorry you missed the parade, and hope the repair goes to plan for you. Post up the rectification with some pictures as you procceed.

ivbeenrokd

Well, we're finally pulling everything apart now. I'm removing the injectors and the 4th one back is stuck, all others are out. On the other 5 I just pulled the 2 retaining bolts, put a wrench on the injector to break it loose, then they slid right out. This one will only spin with significant force, doesn't seem to loosen at all, and won't pull out at all.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
John

Jeepsinker

No, that can break the injector tip off in the head. Spray some good penetrating oil ( Kroil) down into the injector bore and keep working it with a wrench while prying up gently with a pry bar. It may take a while, and will take a lot of penetrating oil, but be patient and it'll come out as the oil softens the carbon fouling on the injector tip and / or body. If there is fouling on the body, that means that the hold down bolts weren't tight enough, or the copper sealing washer failed.

74M35A2

Any reason one can't loosen the injector hold downs a few threads, and then fire up the engine? I can't think of why that would not loosen a stuck injector. This is common on the 8.3's in 5T's, and I have been contemplating doing it this way rather than fabbing up an injector pulling device. I guess it would be like taking all the lug nuts loose and driving around to break a rim off a hub, but I have done that too!

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Mine were held in pretty good with soot.

I say pull the head with that one still in and you can clean the soot off from the bottom.

rustystud

Any reason one can't loosen the injector hold downs a few threads, and then fire up the engine? I can't think of why that would not loosen a stuck injector. This is common on the 8.3's in 5T's, and I have been contemplating doing it this way rather than fabbing up an injector pulling device. I guess it would be like taking all the lug nuts loose and driving around to break a rim off a hub, but I have done that too!
That is a common trick in the heavy equipment world. Loosen the injectors and then start the engine. Usually they all come busting out of there bores and spraying all over the place. Of course you must shut the engine down quickly ! Sometimes the hold-down bolts will break though so be careful if you do try this trick.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks