• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Battery and Starter ISSUES - Lawd help us

treysoucie

well it seems we are plagued with electrical issues. we finally got the new batteries and batt cables made up and installed and found that the starter may be at the heart of the issues.... took reading at the batts and they read 25.2v when cranking it drops down to like 0-2 volts... We have managed to get it started a couple times but the starter will only crank over for a second and then stops. while cranking we notice the extreme heat this is creating at the battery terminals and the starter connections. i made these vids... anyone have any input?

http://s530.photobucket.com/albums/dd342/p0opstlnksal0t/?action=view&current=IMGP1811.mp4

http://s530.photobucket.com/albums/dd342/p0opstlnksal0t/?action=view&current=IMGP1812.mp4

Last edited:

Barrman

I know you wrote that the batteries are new. But, have you had them load tested? I ask because that low of a voltage is way way down there.

If the terminals are getting hot, how about the starter and solenoid. If it is just the terminals, I would think you have some bad cables or cable ends. I know you wrote that they are all new.

Pull the starter, take it apart, clean it and if nothing looks burned or broken, bolt it back up and see what happens. The -20 and -30 manuals actaully talk you through the steps to take with this situation and what to do next.

treysoucie

I know you wrote that the batteries are new. But, have you had them load tested? I ask because that low of a voltage is way way down there.

If the terminals are getting hot, how about the starter and solenoid. If it is just the terminals, I would think you have some bad cables or cable ends. I know you wrote that they are all new.

Pull the starter, take it apart, clean it and if nothing looks burned or broken, bolt it back up and see what happens. The -20 and -30 manuals actaully talk you through the steps to take with this situation and what to do next.
The batteries were just tested at autozone, not sure how they actually test them but told me they were ok. the solenoid on top gets really hot. the large nut that i assume transfers power from the solenoid to the battery gets red hot every crank. after about 5-6 times cranking the batteries start to hiss, and i lose all power till the batts cool back down.

once the truck is started it runs fine and the alternator puts out proper voltage and the batteries charge. about half the time the starter doesnt turnover, then some banging with a wrench gets it to crank over.

M35Brown

"the solenoid on top gets really hot. the large nut that i assume transfers power from the solenoid to the battery gets red hot every crank." It gets hot due to poor connection, the system will get hot at the point of the poor connection, or maby ahead of the poor connection.
Banging the starter with a wrench might get it to work for a short time, But if it needs banging, it needs removing.
Take the connections loose at the starter, and clean them, Check all Grounds.
Good Luck.

cbvet

Starter

First double check all connections. Especially grounds. You may want to run a jumper cable from the starter body to the battery negative to see if bad ground is the problem.
I would pull the starter & test it off the truck. Remember to disconnect the battery ground first.
With a helper & some jumper cables, you should be able to make the removed starter spin.
If it won't spin, take it apart & look over the inside. No telling what kind of gunk could be in there. Or brush holders may be jammed.
If it spins well off the truck, you may have to take it to a rebuilder for load testing.

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I vote any connection that gets hot, the problem is there (or one of the problems). No connection should get red hot. If that does not fix the problem, then i would go to the starter and or relay. I like starting off with the simple things, one at a time. I had a friend that had a cavilier and it would not crank, just click. he replaced both the starter and battery. He never tried starting it with just a new battery, so i think he wasted $160 on a starter. Not that taking apart your starter is ever bad, at least it gives you peace of mind knowing its good or bad.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
With a helper & some jumper cables, you should be able to make the removed starter spin.
Make sure you only let the starter spin for a few seconds. An unloaded starter motor can develop some very high RPMs and throw the windings out due to centrifugal force. Ask me how I know this - - - -!!!

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
relay or solenoid?

The relay is mounted to the engine block.

The solenoid is on top of the starter.

I would guess your starter is bad.

treysoucie

talked to the local starter guy. seems to think the starter motor is prolly the problem. will let you guys know.

doghead i was speaking about the relay which controls the solenoid on top of the starter motor.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The last time I bought a new relay, I ordered it from Saturn Surplus.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Make sure you only let the starter spin for a few seconds. An unloaded starter motor can develop some very high RPMs and throw the windings out due to centrifugal force. Ask me how I know this - - - -!!!
Yes, 30 seconds max according to the TM. Testing procedures in image below.

Attachments

treysoucie

ok so my buddy ended up finding a caterpillar starter that bolts right up. Problem is he has been gone for a week and has forgotten the wire pattern. We are both lost as the wiring diagram does not go into detail about the starter and there is a complete lack of info or pictures on- line regarding this subject. If anyone has pictures of a m35a2 starter already wired up that would be amazing.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks