• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Battery concensus, what battery is the best??

JohnFire

Alright folks, I am getting ready to replace the optima red tops that have been in my truck since 2000. I have replaced one already with another red top. I have other uses for that and am planning on replacing them both at the same time. I have been kicking around 2 new optima red tops, or 2 new blue tops. The truck has been starting ok, but the crank is really weak and slow if it sits for a couple days. Today it was a no go and I had to plug the truck in (Kussmaul Autocharger built in). Fired right up after charging(in about 1 sec after the glow plug light went out). I know the blue tops are considered marine batteries with a deep cycle and also the high output for starting. Where the red tops are the high output for start and the yellow tops are just deep cycle. So what is everyone's opinion. The blue tops are only about $10-15 more and hell when you are spending $144-155 that amount doesn't make up much especially if they last another 7-8 years.

CCATLETT1984

well, what CCA rating batteries are you buying?

If less than 800, consider getting the Deka 6TL batteries that these trucks were equipped with. They have calcuim plates that hold a charge for extended periods of sitting. Also the batteries have a huge reserve capacity ( ~200min@5amps).

I just had to replace one of my 6tl's in my truck due to a internal short, it was manufactured in 1991. went strong until the day it shorted.

If i was going with a consumer battery i would lean towards the blue top, or an odessy dry cell.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Which ever is charged and fits! After that, cca rating. If I were to find some 6tl batterys cheap, I would go that route.

Michael

I like the group 31 truck batteries I bought at NAPA the best of what I have put in mine. I tired mid priced wal mart batteries but they didn't fit well. They did crank the truck well though. I think these trucks came from GM with AC delco group 31 batteries. I have bought them from GL with either 6TL or off brand group 31 truck batteries.

acetomatoco

Any of the commercial group 31 top post batteries will work well.. The fast cranking is the best way to start any Diesel..and they come with a long warranty. Put your solargisers on and feel safe for a long time.

JohnFire

this is why I put these questions out here. I never knew anything about group 31 type batteries. The M1009 originally came with the 6TL's but I had so many problems with those losing charge and constantly having to refill them cause the fluid got low. Plus they weigh a ton. I currently no longer have the space for those batteries as the banks air box takes up where one of the bracket were. My new 1028 came with the 6TL's as well and they were dead as can be. As I don't know if I will be keeping that truck I did put a set of "second's" in it for $70 for total for both batteries. The crank like hell. Of couse they have no label but they said that they are either 1000-1200 I forget. Surprised me cause I don't remember the 1009 ever cranking like that. My main reason I have liked optima's is cause of the gel cells and I know how well they come back from a killing.

Now looking at the new info that everyone has given me I am noticing that red tops aren't even in group 31, but they have a yellow top and blue top, identical specs that is in group 31, both 900cca and 1125ca and 155 reserve capacity and a 75 capacity.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I wouldnt write off 6TL's... If you got used 6TL's, then you have no idea what happened to them before you got them, or how old they were. They could of been dead, shorted, or ??? before you got them. if you had NEW ones from the start and they died, then you would know the maintanence history on them..
I will agree that they are heavy!

for MV's, Uncle designed them for use with 6TL's, I'd stick with them.

wavetech

Yellow Tops my vote

I've been running the yellow tops.
No need to check water level slow self discharge etc...
Can't say how long they will go as my set are fairly new.

ems4ty

RE: Yellow Tops my vote

I got 2 new Interstate 6TL Batteries directly from Interstate Batteries for about $125.00 Each. Heavy suckers I tell you, but they have worked great in my 53' Reo! (Though I had to return one because it was defective - Bad Cell.) That's my .02...

Cdub

Re: RE: Battery concensus, what battery is the best??

acetomatoco said:
Any of the commercial group 31 top post batteries will work well.. The fast cranking is the best way to start any Diesel..and they come with a long warranty. Put your solargisers on and feel safe for a long time.
Hey Guys,

How many of you out there like to use the solargisers.....?? Do they really work that well..??

and where do they sell them.....???

Thanks,

C'dub

Bobert

RE: Re: RE: Battery concensus, what battery is the best??

Regular batteries sell for 2 or 3 times less than those optimas, and last just as long. You could get 2 batteries 700cca or more at sam's club for $100bucks. even if they lasted 3 years, you would still save money.

I don't see what all the partying is about.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
MF is the maintaince free version, but requires you to check the water level anyway...

Solargizers work... The Army proved it when I was in, and now that Im out,I have them on my trucks and gennys.. They keep the sulfation off the plates, which is a BIG killer of any lead acid battery.....

AJMBLAZER

Re: RE: Re: RE: Battery concensus, what battery is the best?

Bobert said:
Regular batteries sell for 2 or 3 times less than those optimas, and last just as long. You could get 2 batteries 700cca or more at sam's club for $100bucks. even if they lasted 3 years, you would still save money.

I don't see what all the partying is about.
The Optimas are pretty "beatable". Sorta the Timex watch of batteries. They are vibration proof, work upside down and on their side, virtually can't leak, etc etc.

That's their advantage.

That said most of us don't need them as we don't use our vehicles that hard or don't need to side or top mount a battery.

JohnFire

RE: Re: RE: Battery concensus, what battery is the best??

Well the main reason I want to put optima's back in is while I was working overseas and the truck was at the house. I had a draw and it kept killing them. They were killed close to 200 times or more. Dad kept recharging them and they came back like champs. The 6TL's that were in the m1028 were 2005's but the last maint on the vehicle was a year prior according to the mil paperwork. Neither battery would take a charge so I turned them in when I replaced those with "seconds". Going back to the 6TL isn't an option in the m1009 as the banks turbo and my block heater stuff is mounted where the front battery was, and there is no longer space for the big 6TL batteries. If I was still at home and could get the seconds that I put in the other truck I would. 2 heavy duty truck batteries only cost me $70 total.

31's...

imhop...a pair of group 31's will work rather well.i have a pair and they spun the engine over briskly down to minus 20*c last winter.oddysey's are apparently very good for cold starting...but bring your wallet.

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
RE: 31

I got 1000 CCA batteries at the PX garage for $63.00 each and they are guarenteed for 10 years with a free jump start. I am waiting to see if I ever need to call that one in on my duece or M52. They start the trucks up with ease and run radios and the invertor very well.

Michael

RE: 31

I was told the 6TL's only had 1 or 2 years warranty. My last truck came from GL with two 2005 6TL's in it. From what I read here, I thought they were already out of warranty.