• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Battery cut off switch

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I have. Its a great addition! No more need to remove a battery cable to work on the truck or to try and disable it at a display! Mine is a military one I got roaming around in an MV scrap yard. Wish I could find some more of them. Put it out of site, but easy to reach.

DieselBob

I am going to install one after I get the brakes and wheel seals done for the reasons gimpyrobb stated. As far as buying cheap-o anything, I look at it this way. What could be the worst possible moment for an item to fail. say 20 miles from home at night in a pouring rain storm it's 35deg out, on a back road in nowhere and my cell phone battery is dead. Was the money I saved on the cheap-o part worth it. My 2cents

Boatcarpenter

Well, if I tell you where I put mine in this Forum then it would not be a secret anymore would it and therefore not much of a deterent. Suffice it to say I installed a key operated one of about 600 amp. capacity I believe. I just turn it off when I park it either at home or anywhere else and leave the key right in it. I am secure at home and on the road I'm never gone from it long enough to worry about anyone finding the switch and taking off. On very rare occasions I have pulled the key though.
I don't remember the brand but it is of good quality, more than ample for the job.
BC

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I installed one right behind the passenger seat very near where the slave receptacle wires go through the cab floor. I used a commercially available one, but when we recovered doghead's wrecker from Columbus, it had the exact same one installed to the rear of the cab of his "new" truck. So I don't know if the one I used is a military one of not, since they use a lot of industrial rated electrical stuff.

M35Brown

I installed a CAT master switch P/N 7N0718 $66.88 new form CAT.
Installed in in the Positive cable, and located on the right firewall.
Had to make one new wire from the switch to the starter.
It has a key, (all CAT keys are the same) but the person wanting to steel your truck, will not have a CAT key. (I hope)

6x6guy

I have installed a few, available at auto parts store, but the only problem -
with the 2 different manufactures the keys are interchangable between
both of them ( its like a skeleton key) one key fits all. The switches were
placed betweenbatteries and I still lock the battery accesss door-
it will still slow them down a bit.
But like anything else, " If Somebody wants what you have bad enough,
it will be"- as it was written a long, long time ago. :roll:

bsorcs

Steel Soldiers Supporter
:?:
Re switch installation, can anyone tell me if a deuce alternator is unitized? If no, then conceivably a kill switch with AFD is a good idea.

bill steinkampf

JasonS

I put mine on the battery box which makes it easily accessible and lockable using a padlock on the battery door. The switch is between the negative of one battery and positive of the other.

Albin

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

markmontana

What would happen to that switch in the winter when you crank up a nice cold Deuce to start it?

No, I really want to know.

I'm just guessing here but I think there is more during cranking than 50Amps.
:)

sw
It's never had a problem in cold weather -- using it in a couple different trucks. Of course it doesn't get colder than about zero around here. There are several trucks with same system and never heard of an issue.

namedpipes

Computer geek by trade and I live in an area where the truck would grow legs and wander off into the night.

WHEN I get mine in the spring, keyless remote entry hooked up to a relay should do the trick. Maybe with an led on the dash indicating go/no go.

*chirp*

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks