• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Battery group number for M35A2

Maverick1701

I run a pair of group 34 batteries in my deuce. I don't think you really need more than 600 CCA per battery because the starter doesn't pull that many amps, unless it's old and tired I suppose.
Did you have to do a lot of custom fab work to secure them in the battery box? I don't really want to have to do a lot of fab work just to make truck batteries fit the M35A2 battery box. I don't have a band saw, welder, or any other tools commonly used for specialty fabrication work.
I usually use just hand tools/drills and other general type tools.

HDN

Did you have to do a lot of custom fab work to secure them in the battery box? I don't really want to have to do a lot of fab work just to make truck batteries fit the M35A2 battery box. I don't have a band saw, welder, or any other tools commonly used for specialty fabrication work.
I didn't do any fab work at all. The batteries more or less sit there. I could probably figure out a way to strap them down without modifying the battery box, but I don't drive the truck hard enough to the point the batteries would be bouncing around anyway.

Maverick1701

I didn't do any fab work at all. The batteries more or less sit there. I could probably figure out a way to strap them down without modifying the battery box, but I don't drive the truck hard enough to the point the batteries would be bouncing around anyway.
awesome! thanks!

Jericho

Interstate group 31 s 1100 cca , they usually last about 5 years , I even do the blems for about 40$ each , come with 6 month replacement by the time you get them into the battery box they are as marked up as blems . Only need two . work well !

fasttruck

Along with heat, as here in sunny AZ, vibration is an enemy of long battery life. If using smaller than 6TL batteries, a hold down system that keeps them from bouncing up and down is a necessity. Just jamming some 2X4s in along side them will not protect the batteries. Or protect the connecting cables from chaffing on something and shorting out.

Reactions: art

Katahdin

For my last battery retainer, I used 1 inch fiberglass square tubing and threaded rod with nuts and washers. No special tools necessary, just any basic drill and saw.

The fiberglass tubing I got on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Fiberglass-Hollow-Rectangular-Gray-Length/dp/B000FN0HWI/

Potluckslammy

Just tried installing two group 31's in the battery box, and they WOULD NOT go in. Searched "Deuce Battery Box", and this seems to be the most relevant post....which is my way of explaining resurrecting this thread yet again.
Someone mentioned " taking the warp out" of the battery box. I didn't see that there was much, if any...but maybe I could get after it with a heat gun and true it up some. The real problem is the small fasteners holding the battery box handles, which are protruding into the box. If I did manage to get the batteries in there, they are going to get gauled to hell by those fasteners! Maybe I should take the box completely out, and remove everything attached to it...then make new holes for the handle fasteners?! I don't know...was really hoping these were going to just slide in, hook up, and go!
Trying to find better pictures of what it's SUPPOSED to look like, and some that use the group 31's. I can fabricate about anything...but I don't want to be drilling and cutting the original assembly.

fasttruck

The box, which is also used in tandem in 809 series 5 tons, is proportioned to hold 2ea 6TL batteries which are almost square. I do not know of any commercial users that employs these batteries. They seem to be one of many things unique to the military and which discourage substitution of commercial parts. Pic of 6TLs in a M35 attached.

Attachments

Potluckslammy

The box, which is also used in tandem in 809 series 5 tons, is proportioned to hold 2ea 6TL batteries which are almost square. I do not know of any commercial users that employs these batteries. They seem to be one of many things unique to the military and which discourage substitution of commercial parts. Pic of 6TLs in a M35 attached.
Yep, that's the kind of box I have. Should have been more specific in my earlier post...M35A3C. I took some pictures today when I removed it...needs a good cleaning, a judicious amount of wire brushing, and I have to do something about all these protruding fasteners if I am to shoehorn these group 31's inside! They're a couple of refurbs I picked up in Texas a week ago for $49 per....there's no taking them back for exchange.
Also, going to make some changes to these wires, as well as a good cleaning!

Attachments

M37M35

Steel Soldiers Supporter
M
Yep, that's the kind of box I have. Should have been more specific in my earlier post...M35A3C. I took some pictures today when I removed it...needs a good cleaning, a judicious amount of wire brushing, and I have to do something about all these protruding fasteners if I am to shoehorn these group 31's inside! They're a couple of refurbs I picked up in Texas a week ago for $49 per....there's no taking them back for exchange.
Also, going to make some changes to these wires, as well as a good cleaning!
Mine has two 31's and a 27 in it. It's a little snug but they fit.
20200601_162104.jpg20200601_162115.jpg20200601_162125.jpg20200601_162230.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks